Surefire E2E vs Surefire L4

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I am at a loss here.

I was thinking about a SMALL 2 cell, EDC type light. I can't decide between the surefire E2E and the surefire L4.

Any help, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
E2e has more throw and a less usable spill the the L4 ... L4 is all about flood.
L4 gets mighty hot when run on full blast for prolonged times, so a 2-stage switch might be in order. E2e has bulbs ... and those can burn out.
Then there's the color difference between LED and incan.
And that should be the main differences.
bernie

CLHC

Flashaholic
In that size form factor, I prefer the incandescent SF.E2e over the LED SureFire L4 anyday. I have not experienced any problems with my SureFires E2 and E2e.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both great lights. No bad choice between them. I have both and use both.
I have to say that the E2E has really become my favorite. It is nearly perfect in what it is and what it does.

I have a possible solution for you. Buy the L4. Then go to eBay or B/S/T Lights here on CPF. Buy an E2 incan head and lamp for about $30. You can use the MN02 or the high output MN03 (or both). Ten second head change and you have an L4 or E2E. Best of both worlds on the cheap.

Mark

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
You can't beat the e2e for edc size. I have a dozen lights by the e2e is with me everyday.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm with Flash gordon, you should buy an L4 plus an E2e head.

I have an E2e with a KL4 head (effectively turning it into an L4), and I will never go back to the incan E2e head... the KL4 is just incredible.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
E2e has more throw and a less usable spill the the L4 ... L4 is all about flood.
L4 gets mighty hot when run on full blast for prolonged times, so a 2-stage switch might be in order. E2e has bulbs ... and those can burn out.
Then there's the color difference between LED and incan.
And that should be the main differences.
bernie
Bernie, :tsk: --- :nana:

Bernie doesn't care for rechargeables, but we must not forget that the L4 runs very nicely (in full regulation I might add) on a rechargeable Li-Ion cell like the Pila 168S.

Jan

Last edited:

Penguin

Enlightened
Remember, the L4 is running in regulation while the E2e will dim over time. Regulation ROCKS! The L4's ability to use a 17670/168S saves cash too! My L4 is always one me, be it TW4 form or regular!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Jan ... :nana:
Guess what resides in my L4 just now ... a PILA! :eek:oo: :huh:
But don't tell anyone ... it is just used around the house ...
bernie

P.S.: yeah, forgot that, sorry.

George1

Newly Enlightened
I too like the E2e. Great size for EDC and decent runtime. Better outdoors and with some ambient light than the L4. Good suggestion to get the KL1 head too. You can't go wrong with either one.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The SF E-Series are never wron as there are so many options ... next to the E2e, KL4 head and KL1 head theres McGizmo's Aleph system that adds a new level of modularity ... can't go wrong with SF E-Series.
bernie

Kiu

Enlightened
I'm with Flash gordon too. Get also the McGizmo's 2-stage switch. L4 is a wonderful EDC especially for indoor usage. It's my one of favourite EDC.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
paulr said:
Don't forget the A2.

Bleh. Bleh I tell you, bleh ;)

I actually had one of the Black A2s ordered from hong kong, but I canceled.

I wanted something as SMALL as possible, and there isnt that much size difference in the A2 and the 9P I already own... which ROCKS.

The 9p is the be all, end all, for me... but sometimes it is kinda big.

I wanted something as small as possible, but I don't think I want a one cell light, (HDS EDC).

I don't have the money to buy a ton of different parts & accessories, so if I buy an E2E it will stay incan, if I get the L4 it will stay LED. I am not looking for a modular system, just one thing.

thanks everybody.

vtunderground

Enlightened
For what they're worth, here are some genaric 2-meter white-wall comparitive beamshots:

Surefire E2e:

SurefireE2e.jpg

Surefire L4:

SurefireL4.jpg

(identical camera settings, and fresh batteries in each flashlight)

CLHC

Flashaholic
By those pic shots that VTUnderground provided, should be able to make a decision and buy both eh?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the L4. I wouldn't waste time on the E2e after you've seen what the L4 can do.

Alternatively, if you desperately want to try the E2e, you can always buy the L4, plus the E2e bezel and MN03 lamp, and screw it onto the L4's power pack/tailswitch. That way you can have the best of both worlds.