Bright yet inexpensive 2xAA LED flashlight?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hydra 3W is the same light as the EL XM-3, it does throw a decent amount of light for a 2aa, however a better choice would be the Fenix L2P
as it is almost as bright and casts a much cleaner light, it is also a lot smaller

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
once i get my 2xAA HDS battery pack I'll have the best AA flashlight that I know of :-D

can't wait!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want inexpensive there is the River Rock 2AA at Target stores for about $20. On the good side it is low priced, bright, and has good throw. On the bad side it has a spot-type beam with no sidespill, and has a bit of tint.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
The Hydra 3W is the same light as the EL XM-3, it does throw a decent amount of light for a 2aa, however a better choice would be the Fenix L2P
as it is almost as bright and casts a much cleaner light, it is also a lot smaller

What do you mean when you say that the Fenix L2p is almost as bright?
It might be wrong to assume anything by only one source, but according to flashlightreviews, the Fenix l1p has the same overall output and better throw than the XM3, and the L2p should be slightly brighter than the L1p...

But I'm pretty tempted to buy a hydra.

SRT4dan

Newly Enlightened
I'd say Fenix L2P.

I real like the overall performance and form factor of this light.

Which is the reason why I have so many.
smile.gif

-Dan

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
bjn70 said:
If you want inexpensive there is the River Rock 2AA at Target stores for about $20. On the good side it is low priced, bright, and has good throw. On the bad side it has a spot-type beam with no sidespill, and has a bit of tint.
If you don't mind 2x AAA, the River Rock 0.5w 2x AAA is only $10 and a great light. Decent spillbeam, good run time. Overall output about equal to a Minimag, but in a much smaller package. Beam tint is often blueish, however.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I'll cast another vote for the River Rock 2-AA. Very nice light and impressive throw for it's size. I was outside the other night comparing it to some of my other lights and it really impressed me with it's performance. It's also a very nice looking flashlight as well.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the attractive finish, I can't recommend the River Rock 2xAA lights myself. Actually, the 2xAAA light is almost as bright and has a much more useful beam and the batteries last a bit longer.

Overall, I'd have to suggest the L2P as the brightest/nicest/most cost effective 2xAA light in a turnkey package. Of course, for about $70, you can build a blindingly bright Minimag or for about $60 you can build a very bright and more usable Minimag.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the attractive finish, I can't recommend the River Rock 2xAA lights myself. Actually, the 2xAAA light is almost as bright and has a much more useful beam and the batteries last a bit longer.

Overall, I'd have to suggest the L2P as the brightest/nicest/most cost effective 2xAA light in a turnkey package. Of course, for about $70, you can build a blindingly bright Minimag or for about $60 you can build a very bright and more usable Minimag.

Learjet

Enlightened
Interesting, the Smartfire's body is very similar to the ebay one. There are minor differences but I'd bet they come from the same factory.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I just have to plug the L2P... more than worth the $$$ the regulation provides FOUR HOURS of constant brightness with rechargeable NiMH... I am still very impressed buy the duration of quality light it produces. Its great to just leave it on and running without concern of "running down the batteries". Four hours seems like forever at full tilt boogie! ;)

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NexTorch MM is a contender in this category.
It smokes the L1P and quite a few 3W lights so it should fair very well against the L2P and most of the others mentioned here.
No HAIII but you do get the option of running on CR2.
Here's the runtime along with a few more pics.

Last edited:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

The L2P seems to be nice, but the original question concerned cheap, which the L2P is not.

Regarding a $60 or $70 MM, those aren't exactly cheap either, but last time I checked the the waiting line for those sandwiches was way up in the hundreds. Has production on them caught up with demand?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
20 bucks. Inova Radiant AA new version (don't get the old doughnutbeam version). Decent semi regulated output, bright, nice spillbeam, respectable throw. Heatsinking is also taken care of very well (there is metal to air contact), AND, only 20 freakin bucks! Great bang for the buck IMO.