Glo-Toob case question

billvan

Newly Enlightened
I just received a new Glo-Toob IR 875 and quickly peeled off the sticker only to find a "hole" in the body near the bottom close to the circuit board. It is a drilled "hole", is it supposed to be there or is the sticker supposed to keep water/dust out of it OR is is a vent to allow for extreme dive depths?
Thanks to all who respond! Bill

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a vent because water would be forced into the hole as you descended.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
billvan said:
Ii just received a new Glo-Toob IR 875 and quickly peeled off the sticker only to find a "hole" in the body near the bottom close to the circuit board. It is a drilled "hole", is it supposed to be there or is the sticker supposed to keep water/dust out of it OR is is a vent to allow for extreme dive depths?
Thanks to all who respond! Bill

OK... somebody pull the sticker off and see if there is a hole near the circuit board. There are a bunch of these out there, I would guess the IR model is the same case as the visible models... please take a look and see if your's is the same!
:bump:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Of the ones I've seen, these Glo-Toob seems—to me at least—to have been made in haste, if you know what I mean. As in "it's Friday and I gotta get out of here!" hasty build. I don't know about the "hole" you speak about though. Sorry. . .

Taylorf

Enlightened
I have a blue glo-toob, and mine does not have any hole on it anywhere. It does have a few bumps, but they are just imperfections in the epoxy and are no big deal. Im assuming that it is not supposed to be there, so you might want to get it checked out.

muitah

Newly Enlightened
Having removed the sticker from my glo-toob months ago, I've just inspected the surface and noticed that mine also has the "hole". From what I can tell it seems like its blocked before it reaches the inner workings of the toob.

I'd hazard a guess that its got some use in the manufacturing process of the toob.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
muitah said:
Having removed the sticker from my glo-toob months ago, I've just inspected the surface and noticed that mine also has the "hole". From what I can tell it seems like its blocked before it reaches the inner workings of the toob.

I'd hazard a guess that its got some use in the manufacturing process of the toob.

I finally stuck a pin in the hole and it appears that you are right... must occur on some while manufacturing. It does not go all the way into the internals so I just put clear silicon seal in it to level it out. I'm not diving to 11,000 feet until week after next :lolsign:

Thanks for the responses, I knew I couldn't be the only one with a hole in my TOOB!

Bill

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
No holes in either of my green FXes. I think it is a mfg defect.

-john

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
My Red and green have bouth been in 20foot of watter with no problems, No hole and the lables were removed the day I bought them.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to post my observations on this...I just received a brand new Amber Glo-Toob FX (thanks, Lighthound!!) today and...it has the hole at the bottom.

My older blue and red Glo-Toobs do not have this hole. Also, the new one appears to have been manufactured with a different process than the older ones -- the new one has a very shiny finish and I cannot see any flaws in the polycarbonate. The older ones have bubbles, matte finish, marks on the exterior of the polycarb, etc. (they do not affect the performance of the light)...maybe the hole is an artifact of the new manufacturing process?

I pushed the end of a paperclip into the hole and it barely goes in at all. Should be safe.

JM-99

billvan

Newly Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
I'd like to post my observations on this...I just received a brand new Amber Glo-Toob FX (thanks, Lighthound!!) today and...it has the hole at the bottom.

My older blue and red Glo-Toobs do not have this hole. Also, the new one appears to have been manufactured with a different process than the older ones -- the new one has a very shiny finish and I cannot see any flaws in the polycarbonate. The older ones have bubbles, matte finish, marks on the exterior of the polycarb, etc. (they do not affect the performance of the light)...maybe the hole is an artifact of the new manufacturing process?

I pushed the end of a paperclip into the hole and it barely goes in at all. Should be safe.

JM-99

I contacted Glo-Toob via e-mail and was told that it was "quite unusual, and definitely not meant to be there!!" Furthermore, they said that it might leak but to test it and if I was not satisfied to return it for a replacement.

I told them I filled it with silicone and would test it on a dive but not to 11,000 feet! Also, if it was OK with them, I would only return it should it start to leak. At this point, it doesn't leak in shallow dunking so it's probably OK.

If you get the chance, you might want to e-mail them also so they can start checking the process. Appears that there is a problem even though it's only cosmetic. (we hope)!

Here's the e-mail address for contacting them.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

atm

Enlightened
I recently received a replacement red GT FX for one that failed. I agree that this new one looks much "cleaner" and better made (no hole though), and also noticed that it has 6 LEDs as opposed to the 3 that my old white one has, and the 3 that the blue one Doug reviewed some time ago for FlashlightReviews had.

I'm wondering if this is just a "red" thing, or have they recently changed from 3 to 6 LEDs? I don't remeber how many the red one I returned had.

Andrew