The way to improve Surefire U2

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

While I love my U2, I still feel it's just too darn expensive. That said, I would still be willing to pay even more for a light with the following specs. And these are the design parameters that I may send off to Surefire to recommend to them as the direction they should go with a successor to the U2.

1. Lumen output => 120-160 lumens. That's right, at least 50% more, but preferrably a solid double of the advertised lumens of U2. A 50% increase is the bare minimum.

2. Adjustable focus. What is really needed is the ability to get a much longer throwing light, but also able to soften it to the more floodish beam of the current U2. I think this will have to wait for better LED technology, but that is Ok. I will be waiting. An emitter of 120-160 lumens is needed in a 3W Luxeon die size, so that the focussability can be improved dramatically.

With that, an adjustable focus mechanism would be absolutely awesome. I would even accept the idea of not a continuously adjustable focus, but perhaps just a 2 or 3 position focus adjustment, such as spot, intermediate spot/flood, and flood.

3. Improvement of the range of brightness settings. The lowest setting needs to be dramatically lower. The number of settings could be increased, but this isn't critical. Just need to get lowest setting to a level that is comfortable with dark-adapted eyes.

4. Detent the brightness setting control, and perhaps add an indicating pointer and numbers. This would be a great improvement (must at least add detents), allowing setting the level with the light off.

Still I think that in 1-3 years, such a revision of the U2 should still be priced at what the U2 is now. But I suppose I would still buy the light I am describing for up to about $350.

Whadayathink?

Ice

Enlightened
I could do quite well without most improvements, but what's really needed is an adjustable focus!
Every time I could need one I'm thinking of old, cheap flashlights which have one...
I know that is more difficult with large surface LEDs, but not impossible and it doesn't have to be perfect in all settings!

Luna

Enlightened
Xe54 said:
Hi:

1. Lumen output => 120-160 lumens. That's right, at least 50% more, but preferrably a solid double of the advertised lumens of U2. A 50% increase is the bare minimum.

Considering the one report we have of a u2 that was really IS tested was 113lumens, I doubt you will see a big difference__not the 50% hoped for__ :)

lamperich

Enlightened
@ xe54 good suggestions

kelmo said:
Make it cheaper!!!
i don´t think so
what i read here on cpf is:

lumiled drop the prices for all Luxeon led´s also LuxeonV.
and surefire increase the price ~9 dollar.

jezzyp

Enlightened
The other improvemnt I would like to see on high end lights is a charge indicator. If my battery shaver can tell me how many minutes and shaves are left on a little LCD screen then there is no reason why a light can't. It would be great to see the "remaning run time" increase as you click down the power levels...
My head torch has a simple flashing LED that changes from green to amber to red depending on the battery state although I would expect sometime a bit more techie on an expensive light

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
Considering the one report we have of a u2 that was really IS tested was 113lumens, I doubt you will see a big difference__not the 50% hoped for__ :)
I agree. I don't have an integrating sphere (IS), but I've done many lux meter wall and ceiling reflection tests with my U2, comparing to various other lights.

My U2 is about 2.2 times the output of my HDS EDC U60 (60 lumens), and roughly equal to my Streamlight TL-3 (about 120 lumens), all with full batteries. Conservatively that puts it at over 100 lumens.

120 lumens would barely be a visible increase, 160 lumens would be visible but not huge (from visual standpoint). Your eye's logarithmic sensitivity means it takes a very large output increase to be visually much brighter. Yet (absent emitter efficiency improvements) those output increases are very costly in power consumption and run time.

I agree a small light with both variable focus AND variable output would be very compelling.

Imagine an HDC EDC-type light with 85 lumens, tail click switch, and two adjustment rings on the body (ala U2): one for output adjustment and one for focus adjustment. Now THAT I'd pay a lot for. Manufacturers, are you listening?

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I says improve the U2 this way:

Replace Lux V with Luxeon K2 emitter
Leave reflector alone, optics I hate
Put a detent on the ring switch and numbers
Improve Switch reliability
Use natural color HA-3 (nicer on the eyes)
Power indicator LEDs (red light at 25% remaining power, yellow at 50%, green over 50%)

Also, offer a U1 (1 battery version), and U3, U4 (3 / 4 battery version respectively)

Ice

Enlightened
Let me repeat this: You like flashlights, but you hate optics?!! Do you love cars but hate tires?! ;) :)

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ice said:
Let me repeat this: You like flashlights, but you hate optics?!! Do you love cars but hate tires?! ;) :)

I hate bad optics (95% of the optics I tried). Almost all of the optics currently out there produced bad to terrible beam quality my opinion says.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the U2 does have a remaining battery meter of sorts already built in. Just start at the lowest setting and keep working your way up until your U2 will no longer increase in brightness. If you count what level you are on 1-6 you can get a rough idea as to how much juice is left in your batteries. Make 6 your brightest setting and have it be 75 to 100% and then start working your way down.

1) 15%

2) 30%

3) 45%

4) 60%

5) 75%

6) 75-100%

Crude, but better than nothing!!!

Paul

:naughty: