For Sale: CMG Infinity Ultra G - Only $10,000!!!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody else notice how the Ultra G has been posted for sale ALL OVER the place the last week? And the prices are shooting up. I've even seen one listed as high as $45. What's going on? What did I miss?!? :thinking:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don't know why "all of a sudden" they're popping up for sale, but besides not being made anymore in the "classic form" - they are indeed built like a tank and a very handy/reliable/long run light for many situations! Perhaps there is just a new generation of Flashaholics recognizing it's qualities.

Many of us still have a "little stash" of them - when others are "looking" for them, some are "released into the wild" once more!

I've been contemplating a "release" myself! :ohgeez:

Can't explain the $45 price - perhaps "supply & demand"...seems in the past they were going for $30-$35.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I hear you. Not sure what is going on. I think I paid close to $20.00 for my Ultra G's, might have been less. It is out of production, and no longer to be made. The white Ultra is pretty nice, and the blue-green Infinity is sort of sorry looking, beam wise. The Infinity red is awesome, and I am hoping that the yellow, I just paid for, is ok. Get the Infinity red, nice beam, not so artifacty, as blue-green.

Bill

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Ultra-G lightly used for around $15 a couple years ago. It was (currently on "vacation" as my father used to say) a great little light, but I can't picture paying $45 for one.

paulr

Flashaholic
1) They are classic lights, nicer looking and more scratch resistant than the current Gerber twist tail model, though functionally about the same.

2) Lots of people have them sitting in drawers or on shelves

3) Every now and then someone offers one for sale for some high price like $40 or $45 and surprisingly someone buys it.

4) Seeing this sale take place makes other people holding these lights realize they're sitting on a nice pile of cash, so more of the lights appear for sale.

I have about ten Infinity-series lights myself (mostly not Ultra-G) and haven't been that interested in selling them but at the prices we're seeing, it's tempting. Right after Arc LLC shut down there was a huge surge in prices for old Arcs, like $60+ for an old Arc AAA and $300 for an Arc4+. I didn't get around to selling my spare AAA at that time and it's gotten more sensible now that Arc AAA's are being made again.

Btw, while the ultra-G is nice, $45 is way more than I'd personally pay. You can get a new Peak Kilimanjaro for that, and Peter Gransee has indicated that an Arc AA revival may be in the works. And the current Gerber IU is (while ugly) easier to mod than the old Ultra-G ever was. Put in a Nichia CS led and you've got a considerably brighter light with no runtime sacrifice. You might be able to also swap a resistor (along with the led) and get the same brightness as the original but with 2x the runtime.

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the originals (and it's now for sale at $45.00). It was the light around my neck until I got my QIII. Now it just hangs on the wall.
I've been wearing a 115 off and on for a few weeks now and the QIII *may* start staying home nights.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember folks - "What the market will pay". It's a free economy - unless of course you like the Soviet centrally planned one. (bet they didn't have very good lights either as a result of that :D)

The CMG Inf Ultra is a discontinued light and there are some who see enough value in it to buy it - for whatever price. Unlike electronics and information technology devices, obsolescence can actually hike up the value.

That having been said for $10K I'm quite sure I could convince a machine shop to clone it and start selling them ;)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
KevinL said:
Remember folks - "What the market will pay". It's a free economy - unless of course you like the Soviet centrally planned one. (bet they didn't have very good lights either as a result of that :D)

The CMG Inf Ultra is a discontinued light and there are some who see enough value in it to buy it - for whatever price. Unlike electronics and information technology devices, obsolescence can actually hike up the value.

That having been said for $10K I'm quite sure I could convince a machine shop to clone it and start selling them ;)

Ahh, yes. And let us recall the Netherlands "TulipMania," circa 1636.

And the "TulipCrash" the next year... when thousands of tulip-bulb speculators woke up and discovered they'd "invested" in something not nearly as rare/valuable as they'd hoped for.

"Those who ignore the lessons of history..."

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:

And the "TulipCrash" the next year... when thousands of tulip-bulb speculators woke up and discovered they'd "invested" in something not nearly as rare/valuable as they'd hoped for.

Invested in the Internet craze of a few years ago.
And many got rich.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
As Paulr noted - they are classic lights...built like a tank, very reliable, good form factor and run forever on one battery. I think they are great lights for "just in case carry" and I have one in each of my cars - "just in case". The Ultra-G is also HA-III...and everyone loves HA-III and the protection it affors the light's finish. While $45 is more than it originally retailed for I don't think it out of line for a great little light that you can't just go out and buy.

I may part with a few new in bag pieces that I had put away before the supply ended.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
Someone posted that Battery Station has the CMG Infinity (yellow LED) for $10.00...so if if anyone's in the market for that, may want to check there...

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

JM-99

I picked up a couple of those. The yellow LED is a little on the orange side, but I prefer it that way. On one of them the Type II anodizing was peeling off like paint, the other one was perfect. I'll probably strip the one with the bad anodizing. Not bad for $10 though. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
Lmtfi said:
While $45 is more than it originally retailed for I don't think it out of line for a great little light that you can't just go out and buy.
For that much you can get a Peak Kilimanjaro which is even nicer. It also has HA3, you can get it with "snow" led and there's a 7 led version available. I wish they'd make a version with a lug tail. Then the transformation would be complete.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a total of 8 non-HAIII G Ultra Infinities a couple years ago, mostly for $10, when a local sporting goods store was clearing them out. I've sold or traded myself down to three and I doubt I'll ever sell those three.

While I always wanted an Ultra G, it always surprised me how well the standard finish shood up to 'carrying in the pocket' use. The brightest of the 8 I had also had a slightly different colored green finish. I've probably carried it in a pocket (by itself, not with keys, knives or coins) probably close to 100 days and it looks great!

The Fenix is a great light, but runs out of juice LONG before the Ultra. The Ultra still provides plenty of light for walking around in a dark room or outdoors on an overcast night. The spillbeam of the Ultra is HUGE... probably the third widest beam of any light I've ever owned.

It's a great light!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's something really nice about the finish on the Ultra-G. It is glassy smooth and the minimum amount of knurling enhances this feature. Compare it to inova lights, which have more 'grip' to them.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:

I survived Dot Com. Nothing like a little bit of irrational buying, speculating, out of control VCs and overinflated values to spice up your day. :D :D :D although I must admit that I enjoyed the gravy train while it lasted.

I myself don't have any CMG Inf Ultras for sale, so I'll sit on the sidelines. Even if I could manufacture them or a similar design (it's not hard given enough capital, there are machine shops that'll do it), I wouldn't be crazy enough to sell for $50 especially with the Fenix L1s running around. However, $12-$15 seems like quite a reasonable price for a light of the Inf Ultra's capabilities.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved the Infinity AA when I first saw it. I bought several including a GREEN LED version. It was my answer to the ARC AAA after it was first discontinued.Another nice thing about the CMG is the clip! a feature the FENIX L 0 P is lacking at any price:huh2:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL said:

I saw the same thing happen with the Ericsson R310s, it's the only rugged phone worth the name (other companies have made rugged phones, but usually they just take a phone from the regular line and slapp some extra rubber on it and call it durable). When they stopped producing it (to expencive to produce) a lot of outdoor people and professionals started to buy them used, sometimes for twice the original price. Quite remarkable since the phone was really outdated, was only good for calling and texting (barely, dont think it had T9 even), but it was damn durable.