(FAILED) Let's Build a $10 AAA Regulated Luxeon I Light...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a dream attempt to make a Regulated AAA Luxeon I Light with a decent runtime.

Raw Materials:
Body: $2 (Bare Al)
LED: $3 (Luxeon I)
Switch: $.5 (Clicky/Tactical)
Optic: $1 (Custom,Acrilic)
Regulator (LDO): $1
Assembly: $2.5 (Misc Costs + Profit)
--------------------------
Total: $10

Extra: Li-Ion AAA Rechargable (350 mAH) + Nano Charger (AW's Cells)

The LDO to be setup to run a Luxeon I at about 70 mA (near Max Luminous Efficiency Point)

Runtime: (350mAH/70mA) * .8 (LDO Efficiency) = 4 Hours (realistic)

...i dream to build about 100 initially and then later on up to 500 per run...

Does it sound like a realistic dream???

Let's think about this seriously... comments & feedback welcome

EDIT: please read this post... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1269093&postcount=150

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: Let's Build a $10 AAA Regulated Luxeon I Light...

I'm in - for about 5 of them!!

Especially if they are mag. solitaire sized.

That would be a brilliant deal.

Robban

Enlightened

If the size was kept very small I'd be interested in a couple. If I was able to drive it at higher currents aswell that would be even better. I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of runtime for brightness. Two stage? ;)

paulr

Flashaholic

If you mean the Willie Hunt LDO regulator, it's a buck regulator and is for incandescent bulbs only.

Relying on a li ion battery (and its charging system, more $$) defeats the notion of a $10 light. So I'd say use 2x123, lets you use a UK eLED-like buck regulator with no inductor, with high efficiency and flat output. Or it might be interesting to use a 9 volt battery. With 75 ma from the battery you could put 200 ma through the led, giving pretty good brightness and runtime.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you sure AAA Nanos are still available? They seem to have disappeared from both the dealers & modders sub-forums.

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened

LEDninja said:
Are you sure AAA Nanos are still available? They seem to have disappeared from both the dealers & modders dub-forums.

The AAA Nano chargers are back in stock..... here.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr said:
If you mean the Willie Hunt LDO regulator, it's a buck regulator and is for incandescent bulbs only.

Not saying the Willie Hunt regulator is a cost effective or space saving idea here, but it should be able to be used by leds. I have a Black Diamond Vectra IQ headlamp that uses one, and it has 3 regulated levels for both the incan lamp and the leds. I'm pretty sure both the incan and leds are both hooked up to it. It's a buck regulator, yes, but the 3.7V output would be no problem for 5mm leds or a luxeon. I use nimh in mine to increase the current available at 3.7V for a brighter incan lamp than stock.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Viren, your costs will be a higher but I believe you can do it. And when you do, I would like to buy one.

Hopefully, you will make them in the USA.

Peter

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

Phaserburn said:
Not saying the Willie Hunt regulator is a cost effective or space saving idea here, but it should be able to be used by leds. I have a Black Diamond Vectra IQ headlamp that uses one, and it has 3 regulated levels for both the incan lamp and the leds. I'm pretty sure both the incan and leds are both hooked up to it. It's a buck regulator, yes, but the 3.7V output would be no problem for 5mm leds or a luxeon.

The regulator designs that I've seen from Willie were not buck regulators. They were pwm regulators designed solely for use with incandescents, and are designed to put a fixed amount of power into a resistive load. Definitely not suitable for a LED.

For that matter, a voltage regulator isn't suited for leds either. A current regulator is the appropriate type. The has been discussed numerous times the the electronics area of the forum.

Steve K.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gransee said:
Viren, your costs will be a higher but I believe you can do it. And when you do, I would like to buy one.

Hopefully, you will make them in the USA.

Peter

I wish, they could be built in USA, for building them in USA the cost will simply be triple (in terms of Labour, Machining etc....)

This is my first attempt to think of some thing seriously....

Currently searching Global Sources (mainly in China) to manufacture some small quantity of bodies with Maximum Quality Control ...

I am thinking of following steps
1) Get (Proto) Body Built First and build a "Proof of Concept"
2) Build a Minor Run (may be 10 - 20) and distribute for "Testing"
3) If all goes ok, do a small run of 100
4) Fix a time line after the first 100 build and response.

dont know if i am on a right path yet....

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr: it's a simple LDO regulator (not buck one) ....

I m planning for R**J or R**H bin's for this light...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Steve K said:
For that matter, a voltage regulator isn't suited for leds either. A current regulator is the appropriate type. The has been discussed numerous times the the electronics area of the forum.

There are a good number of lights that use voltage regulators with leds. The Arc AAA comes to mind, among others. Current regulation is better with leds, but voltage regulation is certainly useable. I'm not sure if the BD Vectra IQ is using a Willie Hunt job, but I'm pretty sure it is.

paulr

Flashaholic

OK, maybe I misused the term "buck regulator" to mean any regulator whose input voltage is higher than the rms voltage seen by the load.

Now it looks like you're planning to attempt offshore manufacturing in high volume. I'm not sure you know what you're getting into. Why don't you just talk to whoever is making the Xnova/Ghost/similar lights, and suggest they make a Luxeon light?

I was going to say something about the UK 4AA eLED which was $20 at Brightguy til recently, but it's now up to $25.95.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr, Yes it is more or less of same idea. to request some manufacturer to make similar light (hopefully with the cost constrains)... may be i email dae with the requirements.

The size of this light would be similar to Arc / Peak Pocket series, (space savings in not having space hungry components like inductor etc)

The Beam patern will be not a thrower but a genral purpose close work up light... (may be an simple polished aluminium reflector instead of optics could also do) ....

keeping open on options....

carrot

Flashaholic

If it works out, l'd be interested in at least one... but it sounds like it might cost more when you factor in labor... what about heatsinking? Will you use Chemkote?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

at 70 mA to Luxeon I there wont be enough heat generated ... so there is no need for any heat sink...

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened

I'd be intrested in doing the electronic design, if you handle the reflector and case.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

DCFluX: It would b great thing to do... Please remember, this will be a Light light for benifit of people here on CPF & others too...

You are welcome to propose electronic design... .. remember the cost constraint on the design of LDO Regulator...

I am thinking of a simple LDO setup with a Resistor controling LDO in Current Mode to 65 - 70 mA

All things including the LED will be on Single PCB, single sided, Other side will be used as a +ve contact for the Battery.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a newbie, so please pardon my ignorance, but I've read everywhere on the forums that Lux1's are ideally driven at 350mA. Is 70mA considerably underdriving the LED?
Thanks.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes jsr, its a tradeoff to have a long runtime and enough brightness ( please remember that it will be far more than a 5 mm LED running on 50 mA) for instance a Nichia LED being run at 50 mA Overdrive...

Luxeon I at 60 - 70 mA should give a compromise of near Highest Lumens per watt readings and efficiency in terms of light output...

Status
Not open for further replies.