Any home theater enthusiasts here? Got bass traps?

Arkayne

Enlightened
I had to set up my home theater to be Significant Other friendly because we live together. Because of this, the acoustics of the room don't play nice with my speaker placements. The bass is a tad boomy for my taste and I'm getting bad reflections from the walls at the couch position. It was the best I could do with the limited space I have. So, after tons of research about design and application, I'm going to make corner bass traps and maybe some wall panel traps.

Have any of you guys done this or have any type of sound absorbing material installed? If so, do you have any pictures of your setup?

I've calibrated the levels already and have the means to run a full sweep and log the frequency response of the room before and after treatment. I just want to see what other people did to combat this kind of problem.

ixus_123

Newly Enlightened
Are you using HiFi speakers? If so are the ports rear facing? The reflections of base off walls can drown out the range of the rest of your speakers.

If it's a satalite speaker system you have with a dedicated active sub, try to keep that out of the corners of the room.

You could try bunging up the port(s) loosly with a roll of foam to reduce the ported bass a little if there is no option on placement.

Save your money on sound deadening - it wont help. It's more to break up rfracted waves & minimise distortion

CLHC

Flashaholic
I like HiFi electronics but don't know anything and that's not mentioning the no moolah part. I have a friend up in Brush Prairie Washington that has a "killer" home theater setup. He's got a room dedicated for it and said that he got good deal at just under $200K! Good deal huh? ! ? ! See what I mean? don't know much about it and don't have the cash. . .

ixus_123

Newly Enlightened
I had problems in my last place with bass (too much) & this was from a set of not very large floor standers. A local hifi shop was pretty good in that they had a listening room where you could narrow down your selection & even bring the speaker home to see how they sounded there.

My small room meant I couldn't place my speakers far enough away from the rear wall so I opted for some missions with front firing bass ports. As my room was small, I didn't need a separate sub

One thing I did forget to mention - how are your speakers mounted? There will be less confused bass if they are isoled either with a set of leadshot filled speaker stands or by fitting spikes to the speakers bases.

HighLight

Enlightened
After calibrating the whole setup and balancing the output of the various speakers then I would simply lower the bass and boost the midrange and high frequencies at the amp/preamp level to arrive at a sound thats acceptable to you. When you have to place the speakers in a less than ideal loccation then its going to be hard to physically alter the sound by doing stuff to the enviroment. (In a way that would be acceptable to your significan other I mean)