how to attach tritium to reflector

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to put 2 tritium vials in my PM6 3W, but I would like to know... What do I use. I was thinking epoxy, of maybe just superglue?

-David

Arkayne

Enlightened
How are you going to mount them? In the reflector or somewhere on the outside? I'd use a little bit of 5 min epoxy. I wouldn't use superglue because it could leave a white residue surrounding the bonding area.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the emitter and the reflector, there is some room (metal) and I'll just try to mount them there.

-David

thezman

Enlightened
What's the purpose of putting tritium in the reflector and emitter area? :huh2:

Arkayne

Enlightened
Dang, how big are these vials? I've never seen them in person and i thought they were about an inch long? Since you are going close to the emitter, I'd definitely advise against the superglue. If you think it'll get to hot and the epoxy might fail, use thermal epoxy.

Arkayne

Enlightened
thezman said:
What's the purpose of putting tritium in the reflector and emitter area? :huh2:

A cool everlasting glow when the light is off I suppose? I'd rather take the glow powder/epoxy path to get that effect.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
tritium vails are from around 2mm long x .5 mm thick to about 14mm long and 2 mm thick. they make some hugh vails that are about 30mm long, and 4mm thick for glowrings.

millimeter = 0.0393 inches, so 15 mm is about .6 of a inch.

Edit: as for tritium placement I agree that tritium around the emmiter is a waste to me. I put glow powder on the inside of lights and tritium on the outside. Glow powder dosent glow for 10 years, but when freshly chraged I would guess a good amount is 20 times as bright as the tritium for the first minute or two.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already own the tritium. McGizmo puts tritium vials around the emitter of some of his lights I think... but what does he use so that it doesnt heat up too much?

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beleive McGizmo bores around the area where he puts the tritium and then uses some clear epoxy.

Just remember if the tritium is not set below the 180 degree mark from the face of the luxeon it can affect the beam of the your light.

thezman

Enlightened
I see. Thanks
I thought it had some magical power that enhanced the performance of the light.
ohgeez.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I out the tritium around it already without the glue, and the beam-quality was unchanged.

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the bad picture I'm no artist and this was done quickly.

untitled.gif

1 is where mounting the tritium could affect beam quality if you dont bore down far enough. I would not reccoment mounting tritium here unless you know what your doing and have the propor tools. A slip of the hand can kill your emmiter.

2 is where I would reccoment mounting tritium inside a light

3 is the 180 degree line I was talking about.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put them at #1 and the bq is fine, and I am VERY critical in that department.

-David