WOrld history assignment... Anyone watch Spartacus or Ben hur?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am supposed to say what both movies are about and how they are historicaly inacurate.... anyone...please?

-David

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WOrld history assignment... Anyone watch troy or gladiator?

Gladiator is about a Roman general who becomes a gladiator in the time of Emperor Commodus (sp?), who used to like to pretend to fight gladiators in the arena. Troy is about the possibly mythical war between Greeks and Troy about 3500 years ago.

Neither is historically accurate but Gladiator is closer. Commodus existed but he didn't die in the arena. He died after reigning maybe 10 years when I think his bodyguard strangled him.

Troy is really, really far off. Classicists please correct me but some errors (if the war happened according to Homer) include:

- the war took 9 years or so, not 2 weeks
- Patroclus was Achilles' "boy friend", not his nephew
- Troy did lose, but no one got away through a hidden tunnel. All the major Trojans (especially wives and children) met unhappy ends.
- Space aliens did not help the Greeks build the horse
- The original poem has lots of interfering by the Greek gods who treated the war something like their personal vidoo game.
- Agememmnon lived
- Achilles was probably taller

Overall, it might be better to just do the assignment, i.e. watch a movie and at least look up the history on Wikipedia, than to ask around here.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sir John Crapper. He was actually Knighted for it. :toilet:

ixus_123

Newly Enlightened

According to the directors commentary on Gladiator - historians moaned about the way the romans lit theit fire arrows as inacurate. The director argued back that his way was logical with the equipment they had at the time so it was perfectly reasonable to expect that some legions could have done it this way.

For the most part history is someones rendition (usually the victors) of what happened

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well thanks a lot to all of the replies, but I couldnt find the movie at the rentals, so I got Spartacus, and Ben hur... any watch these?

-David

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The_LED_Museum said:
Emperor Commodus invented the toliet, right? ;) :) :D :) ;)
Is that why it's sometimes referred to as the "throne"?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
Well thanks a lot to all of the replies, but I couldnt find the movie at the rentals, so I got Spartacus, and Ben hur... any watch these?

-David

You could always just watch them and do the assignment, right? :shrug:

JM-99

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, that is what I am planning on doing, its just that sometimes, if someone tells me the basic plot, I can understand the movie better. Do you know what I mean?

-David

MoonRise

Enlightened
David, you -are- connected to the Internet. Just go to a movie review site, or IMDB, or google it up.

Plot summary of Spartacus: Gladiator leads slave revolt in Roman Empire. Romans win, slaves lose. Director Stanley Kubrik, starring Kirk Douglas. Released in 1960, rereleased several times.

Plot summary of Ben-Hur: Chariot race. Starring Charlton Heston, released 1959.

More seriously, -watch- the movies. Then watch them again, and absorb different aspects of the films. The first time, try not to focus on details, but get the overall story. Take notes. The next viewing, maybe focus on more details or characters and take more notes.

Historical inaccuracies? You're going to have to do your homework assignment yourself, dude.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure to see the full-length, uncut version of Spartacus that includes the awkward scene where Crassus muses about how some people like oysters, and others like snails. (Hint: he's not actually thinking about seafood.) That's usually edited out when they show the movie on TV. :laughing: