one eyed no nose

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
rim74 said:
I thought kittens were born with their eyes closed and stayed that way for a while?

Yep, that's true. The article said the kitten lived for one day; I can't imagine a kitten's eye(s) being wide open and so clear so soon after birth. I'm also having trouble beliving it's limbs were so long for a one-day-old.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw that on the spanish news, IIRC it was born in china and the chineese say it's a bad omen.

I think its true

AlexGT

HighLight

Enlightened
Yeah, I wouldn't say you'll get any good luck thats for sure from that freak.

Edit: Disregard my above comment..thought the pic was a fake.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
China generally has a major problem with industrial pollution, which can cause birth defects, but I still think this particular instance is a fake. But I can't think of any motive for posting such a photo if it's fake, other than "let's see how fast a news service grabs this and runs with it." In this respect it might've been posted as an experiment in journalism.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a pretty lengthy discussion on that. No one knows for sure. Could be a Photoshop job, could be real. If it's deformed that much, who's the say that an eye wouldn't be huge and have no lids? Apparently the breed and color makes it likely that it's severely inbred. Of course, cat eyes are usually white or blue when born.

FWIW, the Yahoo article says the owner is in Oregon.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Of course, cat eyes are usually white or blue when born.

I didn't mention that earlier because my only experience is with 'alley cats'. I didn't know if that was the case with all cats.....

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank you for that link. What sad stories shown there. I also apologize for my ignorance and what could have been construed as arrogance but I think was really a feeling that I didn't want it to be true because of the suffering that poor creature must have endured.

One thing that jumped out at me though - there's a protein or gene called "Sonic hedgehog?"

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
The picture is real. Go to www.snopes.com to see the story. The cat was born with no eye lid or nose and one single big eye. It lived about a day. Kind of sad and creepy.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The photo is real.

The "cyclops" mutation (cyclopia) can occur in humans, as well. Link to article with potentially disturbing picture of human cyclops (scroll down to the end of the article):

http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/sonic/sonic_notes.html

There is a toxin called cyclopamine that is currently being researched as a potential chemotherapy agent. It was discovered when sheep ate plants that contained cyclopamine. Pictures of cyclops sheep linked in this Forbes article (the second picture in the slide show):

http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2005/1128/069.html