• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Continuous use?

justmetoo

Newly Enlightened
Are any of the Peak lights designed for continuous use with rechargeable batteries without overheating? I need a bright light that I can I can use continuously for 4-5 hours at a time every day without overheating. With the use of rechargeables It becomes affordable as long as I am not going to damage the LED.

I have a Caribbean but MJ in discussing the Caribbean on the bulletin board at the Peak site describes the Caribbean as being designed for short bright output use not for constant use.

Can you use the Atlantic continuously with rechargeables without overheating?

DallasA

Enlightened
Because I am not sure what type of rechargeable you are using. I am will base this on a Li-ion 3.7v rechargeable.

The Mediterranean would be the unit you would want for this application/use. The Mediterranean was design for this purpose due the head was design directly for heat dissipation. This unit also works better when you factor in the heat dissipation with a 2xAA pack.

The Caribbean is not a candidate for this. This design is strictly for size purpose only.

The Atlantic can be a candidate how ever the electronics are not design for rechargeable over 3v, so in this case the Li-ion would not be a recommendation of use in this unit.

Hope this helps

MJ

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Mediterraneans, one with a 2AA NiMH body that I EDC and the other the CR123A body attached to a line-loc clamp/magnet. Ran the CR123A lithium cell body the other day as a work light for 45 minutes and it was a little warm although nowere near hot.

The 2AA Med normally runs Powerex 2500mAH NiMH AA cells and it gets the most use as my EDC at work. There have been occasions were I fired it up and let it run constantly until it started to strobe indicating it was time for a battery swap. (LOVE that feature, BTW! People comment on how "geeky can you get when the light tells you to change the batteries") Have ran over 25 sets of NiMH through the light with the heaviest use of two changes in one day. Figure 4-5 hours of runtime and it never became hot. The 2AA body helps to sink heat away from the head down the barrel so it never has a heat problem.

From what I understand, the Mediterranean is a Caribbean with a larger head so it would be the light for you. The Med and Caribbean use LuxeonIII LEDs which handle the heat a little better over a LuxeonI.