ROP voltage questions

nickz

Enlightened
I just finished my ROP and am running 6 aa 2000 mah rayo 15 min charge batteries. I have read where some are using 7 "xxxxxxxx" aa brand batteries. I am sure this offers a brightness benefit, but how much of one and are instaflashes common in that configuration?

Yooper

Enlightened
I wouldn't expect any instaflashes. The ROP bulbs are very robust. I built one using 6 L91 lithiums, and the no-load voltage at the bulb holder was 10.18V. Worked fine.

6 CBP1650's in a fivemega holder measure 8.4V hot off the charger, which has been no problem for this same ROP.

I have plans to build a 7C ROP in my Mag 6D body, but I just haven't gotten to that one yet. I did drop the ROP bulb in and it works fine with 6 alkaline D cells, which is nominally more voltage than 7 NiMH C's will be. It will only take me 10 minutes to finish it once I buy some PVC for a battery sleeve, I don't know what's taking me so long....

nickz

Enlightened
I had not even though of the 7c's in the 6d mag. I have on laying around and I bought plenty of big D bulbs. I may try that tonight :rock: . They will be alkaline C's though since I don't have any rechargeable C's right now. I have stuck the low output bulb in it with 6D's just to play with for now. I am not sure I would keep it that way as the 6D is just too big anymore. For runtime the way it is, it would be great though I assume. :devil:

Last edited:

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Yes i used 7 AA for ROP. However Lurveleven mentioned that I would only get 11.5 hour rerated life on the High bulb and 1.4 rerated life on the Low bulb.

Lumens rated: 794Bulb/516ThoughLens for the High lamp and 709BL/461TL for the Low lamp.

So brighter but bulb will die young. Hey! That's like drugs! :p

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warhoggie said:
Yes i used 7 AA for ROP. However Lurveleven mentioned that I would only get 11.5 hour rerated life on the High bulb and 1.4 rerated life on the Low bulb.

And the Oracle said I'd be a multimillionaire by 25....

I'm still broke but both my bulbs are tickin' after many, many hours put on them. These are some of my most frequently used lights now.

missionaryman

Enlightened
yooper & warhoggie & KevinL are you using the NICAD or the SLA bulbs with those voltages?

do the alkalines produce the same light because there's no way they're putting out 5amps?

AshA4

Banned
Might be an obvious question but in a M*g host, these bulbs would require a reflector/lens upgrade?