BORING...but please read anyways!

kev1-1

Enlightened
I have just got some Nye gel for the tailcap of my SureFire's. How do you apply it? Any suggestions?
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
usually i just spread a small blob off lube on my thumb and forefinger, then rub it all over the O-rings and threads. that ensures the layer isn't too thick and i don't waste too much lube
smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you simply waste it in between the grooves of your thumb and fore finger, which isn't a lot of space by any measure.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do the following:

1. Mix a 50/50 solution of distilled water and rubbing alcohol.
2. Remove o-ring.
3. Clean out all threads and o-rings. Reach deep into the thread with fingernail and cloth. Use an old cotton t-shirt or strip of lint free cotton or medical gauze (avoid leaving any debris behind). Use tweezers to remove any cotton that sticks to threads.
4. Rinse o-rings liberally with water immediately after using the alcohol solution.
5. Wait until everything dries.
6. Replace o-rings.
7. Apply gel to the outside of the o-rings. Use a stripped q-tip. Some people like to grease up the o-rings all over before replacing them (it may or may not help with water proofing). I use two types of Nye gel so I only apply it to the outside of the o-ring and rely on the gel to migrate into the o-ring groove with repeated screwing.
8. Apply gel sparingly to the male threads. Use the stripped q-tip. You do not have to spread it evenly yourself; just make sure you put it all around the threads.
9. To ensure the gel spreads out evenly turn the parts back and forth many times. Make sure you go over the o-ring as well.
10. Screw the parts back together and tighten as appropriate.
11. Clean up any excess.

Cheers.