Volcano "close" to Anchorage erupts!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Mt. St. Augustine is a volcano is relatively close to Anchorage (171 miles), down around some of my favorite King Salmon fishing holes. The seismic activity has indicated for some time that an eruption could be near.

Excerpt from Alaska Volcano Observatory website:

"Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 9:40 AM Alaska Standard Time

Current Level of Concern Color Code: RED

Alaska Volcano Observatory recorded two discrete explosions at the summit of Augustine Volcano this morning at 4:44 a.m. and 5:13 a.m. (AST) and responded by changing the level of concern color code from ORANGE to RED.

There is no tsunami hazard associated with the current activity.

If the volcano follows a pattern similar to the 1976 and 1986 eruptions, we would expect a further intensification of seismic activity prior to similar or larger explosive events. It is also possible that an explosive eruption could occur with little or no warning.

Satellite data confirm that an ash cloud was produced and in collaboration with the National Weather Service (NWS), the height of the cloud was estimated at 30,000 feet above sea level. NWS and AVO are tracking the ash plume which has detached from the vent and is presently drifting to the north and east of Augustine. As of 7:40 a.m. (AST), the ash cloud had traveled 25 mi (40 km) east and 30 mi (50 km) north. An ash-fall advisory was issued by the NWS at 6:44 a.m. (AST). Seismicity has decreased significantly since the explosions, however, it is likely that stronger seismicity and further volcanic activity will resume."

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They downgraded the " Current Level of Concern Color Code" to: ORANGE today. However looking at the history of the mountain, they still expect an eruption within the next 2 weeks.

Here's a link to some pics taken today and back a few days. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and take a look/click on the infrared pics. - pretty nifty.

I picked up a box of 3m N95 particle masks today for the family to have on hand. They won't prevent smaller particles, but would help a little more than not having them. Hopefully we won't need them and if so, for very long. Still need to pick up a couple extra air filters for the vehicles. We bought a few extra pair of ladies nylons/knee highs for a pre-filter into the vehicle air filters.

Hmmm, gotta' take a look at the check list and "should" have already been better prepared!

magic79

Enlightened
Volcanoes are fascinating...and tremendously dangerous and unpredictable.

I live 38 miles from Mt. St. Helens, and work 41 miles from it, with a fantastic view of the mountain from the huge "picture windows" at work. We can see even small steam plumes.

On the morning of the deadly 1980 eruption, the mountain gave virtually no clues that it was going to do anything different than it had been doing for 9 months!

By the way...during an eruption, flashlights can be critical, as the smoke and ash can make noon look like midnight within minutes.

Nice pictures!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh ... doesn't exactly sound like fun :green:
However ... volcano eruptions are always fascinating and beautiful in a menacing way :huh:
Do you see this sight from your windows?
bernie

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We can see two major/active volcanos from my back deck - Mt. Spurr (it's been "rumbling" a little lately as well but last erupted and dumped ash on Anchorage in 1992) and Mt. Redoubt (erupted for 6 months 1989-1990). Mt. Augustine is approximately 171 miles south/southwest from Anchorage and so far the weather/wind is in our favor!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
UPDATE:

It's erupted 5 times today (currently erupting as I type). Click this link and then click on the webicorder (seismograph) to "watch".

Click on the pic in the upper right corner for a pic that's updated live every 30 minutes...WATCH IT ERUPT! (Technology, eh?! :thumbsup: )

Ash went 8-10 miles into the sky on this current event...we're "watching out" - so far no ash is predicted in Anchorage.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I just updated the above post, as it is erupting as I sit here typing. I was watching the webicorder (seismograph) on the Internet and it updated with the current eruption.

I was checking out one of the live webcams they have monitoring this volcano today, technology in today's world is just soooo unbelieveable!!!

You can be sitting in your home in Indiana or Germany and watch real time events in another country, a volcano erupting thousand's of miles away, a tsunami consuming a town, a spacecraft land on another planet (well time delayed in this case - but still the pics & video transmitted back for us to actually see), tell me where you live and I can zoom down into your neighborhood and see where you live with people even on the street or in your yard, etc.

AMAZING!!

Last edited: