Anyone see this?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting how they use the words, "Flashlight" and "Torch" to describe their said product. And that is an intriguing question you're asking too. . .

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I decided to post both my question and my Ebay find on one post so that I would waste any room.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe AI should specify a little better... It needs to run off of 1 cr123, metal reflector (27mm), clicky tailcap, HA (3 preferably), regulated, and runtime >45 min.

-David

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
The above will give you at least 5 of those 6 (if you're not picky about light output!) :laughing: The VB-16 loves you, the VB-16 is your friend, you love the VB-16............

Safety1st

Enlightened
CHC said:
Interesting how they use the words, "Flashlight" and "Torch" to describe their said product.

That is done to widen the prospective audience.....when they search..

Some people might only search on ebay for the word FLASHLIGHT...and they'll only get flashlight in the title. Where others might type TORCH..

By having both words in your description, it puts your advert/listing out to more people....

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You know that it will be *very* tough to get >45min runtime on 1x123 with a boost converter that shall pump out some juice to the LuxIII? The NG converter by dat2zip is able to do about 750mA on 1x123 for approx. 45min, but the regulation isn't perfectly flat and this driver is in a very high efficiency range, so it will be difficult to find such in a cheap <100 product. If you are looking at anything more than 750mA you can forget it on 1xCR123.

Basically you are asking for a top notch high-tech light that should be cheap. Doesn't work.

The above light in this pic uses a McR-27 (even better than the Pelican 27mm reflector), has a 2-stage twisty tailcap and can be configured to your specifications. It is an Aleph1.

Aleph027.jpg

As an alternative ... if you happen to have a SF E1e light ... you can buy such an Aleph1 head and put it on there (Aleph lights are fully E-Series compatible) and use the Z57 clicky tailcap.

Alternatives to the Aleph1 head would be the McLux-PR and McLux-PR/T heads that followthe same path but do not sport the interchangeable LE (light engine) and lack some other features of the Aleph head. Those show up on B/S/T form time to time.

Here's a pic of a McLuxPR/T head in HA3 on SF E1e

E1e_with_McLux_PR-T.jpg

And this is a McLux-PR head:

nexgen1000.jpg

bernhard

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dont like the VB, the sideswitch, the fact that it uses r132s, and I dont see the point of making a light that uses 1 cell that is the size of a double cell light... I want it to be <4.5

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
You know that it will be *very* tough to get >45min runtime on 1x123 with a boost converter that shall pump out some juice to the LuxIII? The NG converter by dat2zip is able to do about 750mA on 1x123 for approx. 45min, but the regulation isn't perfectly flat and this driver is in a very high efficiency range, so it will be difficult to find such in a cheap <100 product. If you are looking at anything more than 750mA you can forget it on 1xCR123.

Basically you are asking for a top notch high-tech light that should be cheap. Doesn't work.

The above light in this pic uses a McR-27 (even better than the Pelican 27mm reflector), has a 2-stage twisty tailcap and can be configured to your specifications. It is an Aleph1.

Aleph027.jpg

As an alternative ... if you happen to have a SF E1e light ... you can buy such an Aleph1 head and put it on there (Aleph lights are fully E-Series compatible) and use the Z57 clicky tailcap.

Alternatives to the Aleph1 head would be the McLux-PR and McLux-PR/T heads that followthe same path but do not sport the interchangeable LE (light engine) and lack some other features of the Aleph head. Those show up on B/S/T form time to time.

Here's a pic of a McLuxPR/T head in HA3 on SF E1e

E1e_with_McLux_PR-T.jpg

And this is a McLux-PR head:

nexgen1000.jpg

bernhard

I am drooling over that aleph 1... how much is the aleph head? Aleph itself?

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You can either look at the Sandwich Shoppe for DIY kits or TK units or have an Aleph Builder customize one for you (or a head only).
Those guys are: Darell, tylerdurden, Chop, kj and JollyRoger.
Don himself is closed for Aleph orders right now.

If you want it cheap you can watch B/S/T or post a WTB ... there are plenty of Alephs around.

An example configuration:
Aleph1 head
NG750 LuxIII Light Engine (LE)
1x123 body
15 ohm McE2S resistance
Aleph tailcap of your choice:

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

This unit will also run on 1 x Li-Ion (R123 or bigger).
:caution: On the NG converter the low mode might flicker a little bit :caution:
You must know that before using a 2-stage cap so that you won't be disappointed.

BTW ... if you are using Li-Ions full regulation up to 1000mA is no problem at all with the NG driver.

If you are interested in those lights .. there is a FAQ thread in the McGizmo forum with much more details than would be appropriate in this thread.

If I were you I wouldn't jump on this expensive bandwagon asap ... try to get an Aleph1 head and use it with your E1e a while ... of you like it you can get the 2-stage and maybe more stuff (different bodies, heads, LEs, ...) later.
The SF E-Series have a lot to offer in modularity.

E-Series modularity:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64308

Aleph-FAQ:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64146

bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, no aleph for me. <100 is a mandatory requirement for now, but it is only a matter of time and money before one of those appears in my home. :) also, anyone know about the beam quality with the MCR20 reflector... I am thinking of adding one into my amilite.

-David

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No need to be sorry, David ! :D

McR-20 produces a perfect beam with a generous hot-spot, concentrated corona and soft blend from spot to spill.

rekombiluxIII.jpg

relux3ww20.jpg

relux320.jpg

McR-20 vs McR-27 / PR:

prdb700r2hvsa2ng750t-bin.jpg

prdb700r2hvsa2ng750t-binspot.jpg

Outdoor:

McLuxIII-PD (McR-20 with U-bin at 550mA)
OutdoorMcLuxIII-PD.jpg

Aleph1 (T-bin at 1000mA; McR-27):
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

(almost double the drive current than the McLuxIII)

bernie

edison

Enlightened
cheapo said:
how large is the spot with mcr20?

-David
Look at the twelfth picture for your answer; since Kiessling was nice enough to post these for you.

You own a PR light, so it should be a very useful comparison.