1st Time poster....LED advice

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
I had an x5 that i bought a few years ago, so i guess it was the older version not the 'T'. I recently lost it and decided to do a bit of research before getting another one.

I really liked the x5, the build quality, size, appearance. I used it mostly for hiking and at festivals, being a bit more flood like it lit up the trail good, and transitioned seamlessly to lighting things up around a campsite and inside a tent and backpack. Only thing I guess I wish it was regulated. I enjoyed the light more during the first few hours than after it started tapering off.

It seems that other LED models are more for throw and super bright, which make them more one dimensional.

I prefer stickin to LED.

Maybe what I should do is get another x5 since they are only 34 bucks at Target, and another small LED light like the T2 or a streamlight model for those few times on the trail I really want to spot ahead?

The surefires are out of my price range.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Have you looked at Flashlightreviews.com?

I'm going to jump in and say it before anyone else gets to: Get a Fenix L1P or L2P.

Btw, why no incandescent? If you'd really like a taste of Surefire at budget prices, the E1L can be had at $80 using the OpticsHQ CPF discount. Or an incandescent G2/6P and add a BOG LED drop-in module later on.

CPF Discounts: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/56067

i dont want to have to worry about changing bulbs.

for about 70 bucks i can get the x5 and the streamlight luxeon 4aa :)

i was just wonderin if i had other options.

would the e1L fulfill both functions i need in one flashlight?

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
eh the e1L has not enough runtime for me.

id like to get 3 hours minimum of good light though 4 is preferrable.

sometimes at night at summer festivals im out walkin around a lot. i dont want to worry about carryin around batteries.

carrot

Flashaholic
idiotekniQues said:
i dont want to have to worry about changing bulbs.

for about 70 bucks i can get the x5 and the streamlight luxeon 4aa :)

i was just wonderin if i had other options.

Surefire lamp assemblies are rated to at least 25 hours. That's a lot better than a Maglite bulb.

Anyhow, you should definitely look into the Fenix L1P. It has become exceptionally popular on CPF because it's small but pretty powerful... and fairly inexpensive.

Take a look at these beamshots: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103970

would the e1L fulfill both functions i need in one flashlight?
Nope. But it's cute!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X0 or T2 would be the most like your X5... they are definately a bit larger, but not terribly so. The X0 and the T2 are essentially the same light except the knurling on the T2 and the T2 has a clickie while the X0 has the same type of tailcap your X5 did. Though they aren't really for me, the T2 and X0 both have a nice balance of size, brightness, throw and runtime and plenty of that Inova quality feel at a relatively low price. I'm not a big fan of the limited and ringy spillbeam but many folks can easily get past that.

Something for cheap to tide you over might be the River Rock 2xAAA light from Target for $10. Not the 2xAA light, but the 2xAAA one. It's small, reasonably bright, lasts a long time on the cells... a great value.

Numerous folks will mention the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA, the Fenix L1P & L2P and the Nuwai Q3... they are all fine lights and the L1P is especially cool since it does such a good job with a single AA cell, but none of them feel as solid as the Inova lights.