now someone stole my bike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
come on pople why do ya steal my bike its all i had it was messed up as hect but it was beter then walking i hope the trash man didnt take it i sometimes lean it on can when im in hurry this is aweful no car and no bike ill keep my shoes insisde so no one takes em

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad you don't live in Southern California, because I'm sure I could find you a nice one. People around here throw them away all the time. Last year I found a really nice GT Mountain bike. It was an old style, but was in great shape. I still have it, actually. I once found two really nice Univega 10 speed type bikes (with book racks and all), one almost perfect Nishiki Olympic 12 racing bike, and an ok mountain bike (pacific) at the same house! I couldn't believe they were throwing them away, so I went up to the door to ask, and sure enough, they said take 'em! They even threw out a BBQ which I also took and recycled. I've sold quite a few bikes that I've found (in the Recycler magazine).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Aww man, Raggie. That really sucks. :scowl:

Maybe you can talk to the trash man next time; he might've mistaken it for something that you meant to toss out.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@#$%^&!

I know how you feel Raggie. :mad: I had my bike stolen from Chelsea Piers. I had the thing chained up and in a public place where lots of people walked by. Someone just cut the chain and took it. :xyxgun: When I reported it to security they said "Oh, so that was YOUR bike?" Thanks for nothing! Filed a police report, but nothing ever came of it. :( It was a semi-expensive bike too! I got it as a gift from several people. Haven't ridden since. :mecry: I've gained weight because of thieves!

CLHC

Flashaholic
That is too bad. . .Happen to a friend of mine. It was a brand new bike and he only rode it home soon after getting it from the bike shop. Next day he brought out the bike for a ride and someone walked up to him and put a gun to his head demanding the bike. He complied. . .That's sad!

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably would't remain sain if someone stole mine. It's my only escape from stress. I'm really sorry your bike was stolen Raggie.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
KARMA will get em' - you and I may never know, but what comes around goes around!! The bad guys suck!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about that Raggie,
A Physical Therapist friend of mine had her Cannondale stolen, the large chain and lock were cut. She was not very happy about it and replaced it with a Trek. Told her Cannondales are the #1 targeted bicycle for theft and Treks are up there also.
I pointed at my bicycle (a fully suspended recumbent) and asked her to guess how much it costs and why. She noted that there are no labels, names or any identification on the frame and most of the components she has never heard of. The only thing she could identify as "expensive" was the rear derailluer (Shimano XT) and everything else confused her.
My reply was the recumbent cost more than her Cannondale and Trek combined and she almost fell over! Then I told her the "trick" to how bike theft works. Bikes are "cased" by their manufacturer or component group. They are either stolen and resold as an entire bike or stolen and stripped of their components. The frame is junked as it is generally the cheapest part of a bicycle and easily traced.
If the frame does not have a manufacturer listed it is much less desirable and a recumbent more so. Recumbents are not easily re-sold as they tend to be unique (Imagine trying to sell a recumbent in Turkey!) The only thing they would steal my recumbent for is the components. My components are a mixed bag across four different styles (Touring, MTB, street and BMX) Then I mix the styles together to make unique assemblies that must be broken down to their parts.
For example: my front wheel is a 48-spoke 20" (406) laced to a BMX freestyle rim. OK, it can be stolen to be used on a BMX bike. Wrong! The hub is a touring Phil Wood hub with quick release axle. Most people don't know what a Phil Wood hub is but the quick release axle is NEVER used on a freestyle BMX bike. It can't take the pounding so remains an odd-ball useless wheel (unless you have a fully suspended, touring recumbent that you take off-road)
The rear wheel is a 36 spoke Shimano 105 road racing hub (markings removed) a MTB 11-34T wide-range gear cluster and a touring double-walled rim (Mavic T520) Finish it off with a kevlar-belted 35x700C almost slick tire so it looks rather "slow". It is a very strong touring wheel but touring parts are not in demand and it won't match the front for a wheelset.
The crank is even worse! TruVantiv Elita road racing crank, ISIS drive MTB heavy-duty downhill type axle (bottom bracket) mixed with 45/42/26T chainrings setup as a "half-step plus granny" touring setup (common in the 70's) Throw in Bebop pedals and the parts confusion gets even worse. The crank is strong as sin and very stiff but can't be used on a road bike, MTB or anything "normal".
The shifters are Dura-Ace barcon (bar end) "touring" shifters with a MTB long cage rear derailluer. Shimano Deore LX brake levers (no markings) to ensure they don't match Cane Creek Direct Curve brakes. The front derailluer is a road derailluer which does not match the MTB rear derailluer. Finish it off by removing the markings from the suspension, throw a rear rack, front fender and weird LED lights. Mix wheel with reflective tape and top off with dirt on the frame.
99% of the public thinks I welded it together myself and I have never met anyone that has correctly identified all the components. The beast has been giving me smiles for 7 years and has been the most reliable bicycle I have ever used.
I would love a custom made titanium recumbent trike complete with primer brown "paint" and sandpaper taken to the model markings on the components.
Recently sold my "#1 most stolen car in the US" a Toyota Camry. Got a good deal on it since it was hail damaged... all the body panels were dinged up so useless to chop shops.
Then there are those Peak flashlights... sure don't look expensive with their "non-tactical" plain look... the $150 modded 2D Mag...
Wish you lived near me Raggie, I have a nice Scott mountain bike for you (if you remove the duct tape)

ixus_123

Newly Enlightened
I feel for you. I think if I won the lottery & didn't have to work any more one of my pastimes would be to booby trap bikes & leave tehm locked up for some scum bag to steal. Or even just catch them on film.

saying that though, my bike got stolen last year despite having a cable lock & a D-lock. Luckily there was CCTV on the street, across the road, so I went into the building & asked for security & if there camera was real & wide angle. They were very helpful & we had footage of the b@stards taking about 3 minutes to defeat my locks dressed in luminous yellow no less - the nerve!!

Anyway, the company let me keep the tape, which I took to the local police station hoping that the villain was known to them. 3 days leter I get a letter saying they aren't continuing with the case - not enough evidence.

Now I carry a mini D-lock from ABUS & 3.5kg chain & lock from onguard - about 4.5kg in total which is no fun when you have a bag too.

I hope the guy who took your bike gets run over - that will teach him a lesson

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its all i had but ill overcome ill get new bike in a few years right now im poor but ill be ok i still have my shoes and if they steal my shoes i have same size feet as step mom and she always givews me her old shoes

CLHC

Flashaholic
I can only imagine how REALLY BAD it would feel to have a Karpiel Armageddon stolen. . .Of course anything being stolen from you is NEVER a good feeling.