regulating/boosting/oomfing a thor...

mdocod

Flashaholic
We've all been anticipating Newbies release of a booster circuit, I've been getting antsy and want to try something on my own...

I have looked into several options to get more light out of my thor. I already rewired it with 14 gage, and changed the wiring of the bulb to let me run both filaments, the output is better now, but there's lots of room to grow here...

I am not looking to push the absolute envelope here, i'm not going to try to sqeeze a fraction of a percent of efficiancy, and i'm not even going to run it at 15V like Newbie is... I was thinking just trying to get the bulb up around where it is supposed to be. (somewhere between 13-14V area would be good)

I looked at DC-DC regulation circuits and ICs.... and while, they ARE available, they are rather expensive, AND rather inefficiant...

I was also thinking about adding 2V SLA in series to beef up the voltage a bit. still wouldn't be regulated...

Then I was thinking a 14.4V NIMH battery pack with removable cells so they could be individually charged by a smart charger- this would be a bit inconvenient, having to pull out all the cells and recharge them would be a hastle....

Most of the regulators being built for flashlights, are based on voltage regulating ICs controlling a more capable transistor to handle the heavy current... I was thinking of something similar, that would have better control over current, not neccessarily a "soft start" but perhaps if it were a current controlled cicuit rather than voltage controlled circuit, it would be easier on the bulb on startup...

Has anyone used a current controling diode in such a design?

i came accross this...
http://www.centralsemi.com/pdf/Boosting the CLD.pdf

and it sparked some interest....

some experimentation would be neccessary to get the output on the mark... but this seems like it could be a simpler design...

anyone with more electrical experience want to throw me a bone here, some ideas for high current transistors that are ideal for continuas DC output?

maybe i'm totally off base here with this idea...

http://www.centralsemi.com/cld/index.aspx here's the website with the diodes that the pdf is talking about...