I HATE Twisties!

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
i hate twisty tail caps... i hate um, i hate um, i hate um.

First off, it is a pain to go from momentary to full-on while in the tactical grip.

Secondly, if you lend it out to some one.... who doesnt know lights... they have NO idea what to do. They just look at it... then torque down HARD.... on the BEZEL!!

I can't freaking stand the things any more.

Clickies are AWESOME.

Thank you... that is all. Anyone else with me?

greenLED

Flashaholic
twisty head= twisty switch

I still like clickies, try loving a kroll switch, though... :green: (twisty wins, hands down on reliability, simplicity, ease of use, etc.)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
twisty head= twisty switch

I still like clickies, try loving a kroll switch, though... :green: (twisty wins, hands down on reliability, simplicity, ease of use, etc.)

In his post he specifically targeted twisty tailcaps.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Back in the day I picked up an unfinished twistie and then a finished one for my Arc LSL. The small size is nice, but I soon returned to the Kroll. It's so much more convenient, and the anodizing is a perfect match. No troubles with the Kroll, yet, but based on total usage it's still almost new.

Geoff

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
StainlessSteel said:
Secondly, if you lend it out to some one.... who doesnt know lights... they have NO idea what to do. They just look at it... then torque down HARD.... on the BEZEL!!

Last night I lent my Wolf Eyes 9A-II to a fellow who had car trouble. I explained, "press on the tail to turn it on," but he kept pressing the bezel! Maybe it's because he was from another country.

Anyway, I hate twisties, too. When you think you've twisted them far enough counterclockwise to stay OFF, they don't; when you think you've twisted them far enough clockwise to be ON if pressed, you haven't. I've had twisties discharge when stored in a tight-fitting bag. A switch shouldn't have to be pampered.

Also, my main use for a light is crossing the street while carrying a heavy commuter bag. A clickie is ideal. My switches are currently all "real" clickies, even a reverse clickie is nearly as nice. And I can see why so many prefer the placement of a neck-mounted thumb switch (for nontactical use).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I LOVE Twisties!

...the ones with double function.
Momentary --> press
full-on --> twist

they need way less room (and 1/2 an inch shorter is much shorter)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
StainlessSteel said:
First off, it is a pain to go from momentary to full-on while in the tactical grip.

If you haven't noticed, the very essence of the tacctical grip is that you are not supposed to use it as constant on, just pressing it as long as you need it.

I like my twisties, they are less likely to fail in the long run and slightly shorter than clickies on average.

greenLED

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan said:
In his post he specifically targeted twisty tailcaps.

I understood that. My point was, twisty heads work the same as twisty tailcaps, so hating one would imply hating both (unless some other factors of twisty heads -such as size of the light- were considered). Should've explained myself better.

My problem with twistys tailcaps is that, in small lights, they can't be easily activated with one hand. Twisty heads, as in the minimag, are not much problem. Again, light size comes into play, not so much the way of activating on its own.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've posted before, I consider a "twisty" as the lack of having a switch. It's like saying "to turn on complete the assembly", and "to turn off slightly unassemble the flashlight". I'm glad they don't build homes like this; "upon entering a room connect the wires together to turn on the lights".

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hate twistys!!

The McLuxIII PD (my favorite light at the moment) has a 2 level twisty action which is fantastic. It also has a momentary tail (PD) action as well.
It really is the best of both worlds.

I have never had a failure to turn on with my PD's.

The McLuxIII T is a twisty only. As a twisty only the T is a great light with 2 levels. I wouldn't mind if the T was a PD but the solid body in titanium is amazing.
Yaesumofo

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
StainlessSteel said:

I wouldn't lend it out to a non-flashaholic.

I think I prefer clickies too, but my edc with a clickie came on in my pocket the other day and had a near dead battery when I really needed it. Should have carried my twistie A2 that day. :ohgeez:

mateen

Enlightened
I prefer twisties for the same reasons as stated previously, the typically shorter length and the (perhaps in my mind only) greater reliability. Of all of the switch problems I've ever had, they were all clickie switches. :shrug: YMMV, of course.

magic79

Enlightened
LowBat said:
As I've posted before, I consider a "twisty" as the lack of having a switch. It's like saying "to turn on complete the assembly", and "to turn off slightly unassemble the flashlight". I'm glad they don't build homes like this; "upon entering a room connect the wires together to turn on the lights".

:lolsign: Good analogy!

I hate twisties too, but sometimes I have to live with them. The 2-stage mod for the Fenix is just too useful to not do because of changing to a twistie action. And, I really love my SF L2, which worse, is a two-stage twistie.

My favorite switches are the clickie on the HDS and the momentary/clickie on my SF E2D. I think that's the ideal combination.

As for reliability...why do we stand for click switches that fail on $100++ flashlights? That's ridiculous! There are many, many manufacturers of switches that guarantee hundreds-of-thousands of presses!

On another note, the mechanical-less Hall Effect switch in the Gladius just may be the most reliable there is.

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
i got 2 problems w/the screw type twistie
a) you never know exactly where you are in the threads so in emerg it's easy to unscrew too much then Ksckfong batteries everywhere

b) it always makes me feel anytime i unscrew somthing even just a little it's going to loose it's water tightness

gives me the willies

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If a light is a single speed, I want instant on and off both momentary and constant and a clickie can be the quickest and most obvious means both to me and anyone I might lend the light to. But.............

A clickie is a nontrivial mechanical switch that has a latching mechanisism. It had best be well maintained and of sound design. Its location may encourage AD (accidental discharge).

If the clickie is designed in with a lock out feature; either loosening the tail cap or the head, AD can be avoided but then on loan, a not familiar may have a bit of a problem turning on the light! If the clickie is guarded so AD is unlikely and no need to "lock out", cool.

At a likely higher level of dependability, the clickie can be eliminated and a simplier means of completing the circuit can be engaged; typically the twisty action. For reliability and field serviceability, it is hard to beat the twisty.

If the light is a multi level output then the clickie is not as viable and must be accompanied with another means of switching between levels. When control requires volume as well as on/ off, the clickie at best is a partial solution and there are other viable solutions, some simplier and more reliable, which do not involve the clickie. As the complexity of control choices increases, so too does the means of control. :shrug:

If one is using a light in a tactical grip in a tactical situation, the light should be of a sound tactical design, me thinks! I am not expert or even competent in a tactical environment but I have been told by others that the minimum requirement for tactical is momentary, constant on and lock out. Momentary requires activation at a moments notice or impulse. Constant on may or may not need to be as quickly accessed. Lock Out as well may not require as quick as access. :shrug:

In the non tactical arena of which I am more familiar, when a light is really needed, of primary importance or number one priority is that it actually work. Beyond that, the list of priorities and their relative significance is up to the user and likely determined in anticipation of need and selections made ahead of time.

Hate is a strong emotion and a counterproductive energy to maintain. In stead of hating twisties, I suggest one abstain from their use. :nana:

EDIT: Unlike a reed switch, a hall effect switch requires some power and a light using a hall effect should not be left in a drawer or ditch bag for use at some undetermined later date; that is with batteries installed. A 10 year shelf life of a lithium primary is undermined by any light left loaded that has a residual drain on the cell(s).

If the light is of a twisty nature, one should store it after turning it on and then backing it off sufficently so that changes in pressure within or without don't inadvertantly activate it. Clickie or momentary switches are not immune to this problem if they are behind a membrane and in a "sealed" light. I suspect that many of the reported AD's are not a result of accidental twisting or pushing of a button but due to changes in relative pressure inside and outside of the light! A very soft and friendly activation force design is more subject to this type of AD than a tough and unfriendly one.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
StainlessSteel said:

Thank you... that is all. Anyone else with me?

Actually, that is not intirely true, in fact, most people would try to twist it. I lended my light to my mother once, and she tried to twist it on. Same thing at school... they all tried to twist it. It was a longbow micra with clicky.

-David

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
This means I should abstain from my 5 X 40 day job. See, I didn't even have to use the word. :nana:

If there are any twisty haters that wish to sell their McE2S's for say... $5 to $10 each, because they hate um... My Paypal finger is ready! :grin2:

I better put a twisties on the trash bag, or my wife:mad: is going to click my a-- momentarily............

Last edited: