Introducing... The Milky Redbird 1AAA: A Photo Essay

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing... The Milky Redbird 1AAA: A Photo Essay

On a bright and sunny New Year's Day with wife and kids still playing with their new toys, what's a modaholic flashaholic to do to enjoy the day, other than mod? It's been a while since I've put together a truly interesting mod (meaning: something NEW, not just another whatever)... a long, difficult journey to the next plateau, fraught with fried circuits, gored fingers, scraped housings, and emitters reduced to cinders... I kept telling myself this was all a learning process, some form of modder rite of passage I would eventually get through, with great things on the other side all teeming in photons... this just may be the light at the end of that long, dark tunnel, the bird in hand, so to speak... (okay, pun intended) ;)

The subject of our mod today will be the humble Dorcy 1AAA single LED flashlight as sold for a whopping $5.94 or so at your generic neighborhood WalMart. As some of the elder CPF folk know, I've gutted these lights for circuits in many of my mods for quite some time now. Time to give something back! Er, I mean, mod THIS light for once, not just use it as a parts donor...

This story involves the color silver, a 10mm LED, nylon spacers and rubber gaskets, and a classic modernist teapot marketed by Alessi...

Confused? Read on! :)

It all started many years ago, when about the same time I graduated from college (year omitted to avoid embarrassing myself), ;) I came to be a big fan of architect Michael Graves and his designs. Graves was a professor at Princeton as well as a principal in his own practice... and just for good measure, quite a good industrial designer as well. Target carries several of his creations, from dinnerware to clocks to egg timers.

Then (fast forward several years) I got married, and it was about this time that I invested in my very own Michael Graves creation, a classic, the Alessi "Whistling Bird" teakettle. There's something about the understated styling, use of stainless steel, and that cute little dark red bird perched atop the spout, that spoke to me, and before I knew it, the money had jumped out of my wallet and I had one of these water heating appliances on my stovetop. :)

From the Michael Graves website...
img-cpf-redbird-graves-website.jpg

(Some trivia: this teakettle appears in an episode of Star Trek: Next Generation)
img-cpf-redbird-whistle-closeup.jpg

So on a bright, sunny New Year's Day out in the country, surrounded by snow-swept fields and glistening apple and peach orchards, what's a flashaholic to do but enjoy a warm mug of hot chocolate and get down to business?

I love the smell of modding in the morning!
img-cpf-redbird-country-table.jpg

It all started innocently enough: I accidentally discovered a great source for some terrific 10mm LEDs with truly spectacular output, and I've been a big fan ever since... so on this day, I resolved to replace the head on a silver Dorcy 1AAA light with a second tailcap, guts removed, and have a beautiful 10mm LED poke its head out the top, the result being an easy mod and a nifty little light with a nice streamlined look. Well, things ALMOST turned out that way, but then I made a few improvements...

Redbird upright, 10mm LED and stock Dorcy to right, Alessi teakettle behind.
img-cpf-redbird-upright.jpg

An overhead view of modded and unmodded lights, along with a 10mm LED.
img-cpf-redbird-overview.jpg

So what exactly did I do? Well, first here's what I didn't do... the circuit itself is 100% stock, for fear of cooking the LED if I'd juiced things up any further. The only "mod" other than the LED itself, was to add a little solder to the surface of the tabs that slip into grooves in the flashlight's body, making the negative contact... the solder will hopefully provide better connectivity over the long run by virtue of a tighter, cleaner fit. The LED itself sits flush with the top edge of the board just as the stock one did, and the leads are trimmed to the same length... didn't replace the metal bulkhead that sat around the 5mm LED, but instead slipped an O-ring over the 10mm LED, which made a nice seal when the spare endcap was tightened around the head end.

Most of the modding took place on the OUTSIDE of the light. I've never liked the overly slippery rubber sleeves on these lights as they tend to slip down the barrel while using the light in momentary mode, cigar-style... to remedy this, I found a red rubber plumbing gasket, triangular shaped, with an inner diameter absolutely perfect to sit in the rubber sleeve recess without slide any further down the light. This became a grip ring... I cut down the rubber sleeve for a nice fit above the new grip ring, and now the rubber stays in place far better. Problem solved!
:thumbsup:

Next, I wanted a way to hang the light on a hook when not in use, so I located a very short loop of paracord (I think originally from a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA) and attached it to the tail "ring" of the light. The short length is just right for hanging up, yet not getting in the way while the light's in use.

I fired up my little mod for the first time, but still wasn't happy. The backsplash of light from the LED was too much to maintain night vision when outdoors. To reduce this effect, I rummaged through my parts bin, eventually settling on a nylon spacer to friction fit around the LED. After a little fine tuning of the inner diameter using a Dremel, the fit was perfect: plenty snug, but not so much that installation risked damaging the LED itself. At this point the mod just felt right... done! :)

Of course, the next step was to see if the effort was worth it, and assign it a name. (More on the name later.) I grabbed a stock Dorcy 1AAA, put fresh cells in each, and started comparing...

First observation: the Redbird is a little flamethrower... not that it generates any appreciable heat, but the 10mm optic built-into the LED is so tight, and the beam color so nice by comparison with the stock light's LED, that it really looks more like the flame coming out of a lighter than the beam of a 1AAA flashlight...

Tabletop, shining onto a 10mm LED.
img-cpf-redbird-beam-unblocked.jpg

Overhead... see the flame shape?
img-cpf-redbird-beam-overhead.jpg

Let's take a look at the beams from stock and Redbird as they look on the countertop. The Redbird's hotspot isn't really pure white, but by comparison with the stock LED, it's one heck of a lot closer! IMHO, though, the dramatic thing about the hotspots (taken a foot or two above the counter) is how much tighter the 10mm keeps its hotspot, yet still retaining a reasonable amount of sidespill; whereas the 5mm pretty much sprays all over the place. The IMPACT this photo depicts is very real.

Hotspots: Stock 5mm (L) vs. Redbird 10mm (R)
img-cpf-redbird-d-vs-r-hotspots.jpg

What about the beam profiles? With both lights laying side by side on the table (10mm LED between them as a size reference), it's easy to see not only the profiles, but also the intensity falloff as photons travel farther and farther from home. ;)

Beam Profiles: Stock 5mm (L) vs. Redbird 10mm (R)
img-cpf-redbird-d-vs-r-beams.jpg

I really love these 10mm LEDs. The amazing thing? All this photonic goodness comes with the same 20mA input current as any garden variety stock 5mm LED! (To quote the Croc Hunter,) I love it!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO! :eek:

One thing that's not shown: turns out that the translucency of the nylon means this light can do a HEADstand and act as a little tabletop lantern, with virtually no glare at all! I can't take credit for designing that into the light... it was just one of those happy accidents.
:popcorn:

What's left to do but laser cut the head off the stock light? ;)

Will the Redbird cut through the stock head?
img-cpf-redbird-beam-blocked.jpg

Oh, that name thing... couldn't come up with a decent name for this mod, then in the kitchen I noticed the teakettle and it became clear... the modded light's styling almost seems half-designed by Michael Graves himself... and with that red grip ring (remember the cute red bird?) the name came into focus (yup, pun intended)...

Introducing: The Milky REDBIRD 1AAA, a Tribute of sorts to Michael Graves and the "Whistling Bird" teakettle.

This was a pretty long story... for those of you still with me, thanks so much for reading!
:bow:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about mix up some epoxy and glow powder, and make a thing just like the nylon spacer, so that it glows when turned off? :thumbsup:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
All this photonic goodness comes with the same 20mA input current as any garden variety stock 5mm LED!
Doesn't the Dorcy 1AAA circuit push something like 50 or 60 mA through a typical 5mm LED, rather than just 20? That's why people usually put Nichia LEDs in them, rather than other more delicate LEDs? No?...

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Scott,

A really good read, and nothing could ever beat that. When I first saw your whistling bird stainless steel kettle, I was think to myself, 'no way, he's not gonna cut that thing up in the name of modding...'

Then I saw the closeup on the whistling chicken, and I thought, 'no way, he is not gonna cut the chicken head off on a new year's day...' :crackup:

Turns out no chicken or kettle was hurt during the mod, and it seems to be a great improvement over the stock Dorcy. And just the perfect piece of mod reading over a weekend. :goodjob:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with a few 8mm and 10mm LEDs but have never seen any whites that were that impressive. I do have a green one that is impressively bright, but it has much thicker leads than normal and they are widely spaced.

I'd like to get a couple of those white 10mms to play with... where'd ya get 'em?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! :eek: This was a fun little project to do, and not overly difficult. I'm glad you enjoyed the writeup as I had fun creating it. :)

Kyrosphinx: No doubt this will sound kinda bad, but I'd rather not reveal the source for these 10mm LEDs at the moment... one reason is that I'm seriously considering using them in the MC2 (Milky Candle v2) build, and have a feeling that the supplier may only have a certain number, and not be able to get any more... I'd need something like 200 to do the MC2 build, so I want to protect the supply for a little while!

That said, they are great LEDs, and I do want to share them with the community. I've even been thinking of opening a group buy on them so we can all get discounted pricing. Think there might be enough interest? That's what I'm wondering...

If you want, I could sell a few to you in the meantime... PM me if interested. They're not terribly expensive.

Isaac: Glow powder would be really cool! Unfortunately I don't have any. :(

PlayboyJoe: I'm glad you're still enjoying the Milkbone. I pulled mine out of the cupboard the other day and was pleasantly surprised at the performance... it had been a while, and was nice to see it in light of (guess that's a pun) :p more recent lights. IMHO it still holds its own well.

Nerdgineer: My statement was probably a little confusing, sorry. What I meant was these 10mm LEDs are spec'd for 20mA output, and work nicely at that drive level. The stock 5mm LED in the Dorcy 1AAA light is also spec'd for 20mA output. The actual Dorcy circuit overdrives both stock and 10mm... since the stock 5mm seems to survive, I figured the 10mm replacement ought to as well.

AuroraLite: :crackup:

Cratz2: To clarify, these 10mm LEDs aren't snow white in color... the hotspot tends to be a little aqua in color, with the very center a bit more blue... you can also see the wires coming into the LED die in the hotspot itself. On the other hand, they ARE really intense, and throw a hotspot farther than I've seen with any other single "conventional" LED. There's also no puke green, beige, or yellow artifacting like there is with most other conventional LEDs that I've used.

See what I wrote to Kyrosphinx above. PM me if you want a few to play with.

Thanks again, guys! :thumbsup:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the offer, but I don't really NEED any more LEDs!
icon11.gif

Can't wait to see what else you come up with using these.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz2, actually, quite a while ago I used another of the 10mm LEDs in a Frankenstain mod of DSimpson's defective Arc AAA clone:

LIPSTICK AAA 10mm LED Arc AAA transplant
(thread over here)

image-cpf-aaa-10mm-front-profile.jpg

I'm not exactly sure that 10mm was EXACTLY the same as the one in the Redbird mod, but it did come from the same source... possibly an earlier batch. Then again, for all I know they're identical!
:shrug:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing I like is the narrow beam. I've used about three 10mm 'white' LEDs and they were decently impressive, but none of them had as narrow of a beam as the Peak Snow 29 LEDs. I don't get too hung up on tints, but with the Snows, even without any kind of reflector, the beam is more narrow than usual.

I also have the green 10mm LED I mentioned above. Between the output and the narrow beam, it was so bright, that I had to sand the end down as the glare off of a white wall hurt my dark-adapted eyes. Also, as I mentioned above, the leads were so thick, that I had to sand them down to make them fit through the Mag switch holes.

So... how do these compare to, say, a Lux I at a bit below 350ma?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never tested one of these 10mm vs. a LuxI at 350mA, but my guess is the LuxI would beat the heck out of the 10mm on throw IF the LuxI used a decent optic or reflector. IMHO the two aren't really in competition, though... that LuxI with optic/reflector will be significantly larger in size, plus consume more power than the 10mm LED. The beauty of the 10mm is that it basically has its own built-in optic (and a very good one!), plus at spec consumes only 20mA at just over 3V, meaning well under 1/10th of a watt. Meanwhile, it probably outthrows just about every 5mm LED in existence by virtue of the larger optic, but doesn't require any additional power to do it. :naughty:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I understand. I was just curious because the LSDiodes.com THC3 LEDs are almost unbelievably bright for 5mm LEDs. They are spec'ed 80-100ma and even just on two alkalines, the blues and the greens are definately brighter than Lux I cyan I have.

But being about 100ma LEDs, runtime isn't their strong suit... better than the Lux, but nowhere near a true 20ma LED.

Edit - removed pics as they were straying too far from Milky's topic.
icon11.gif

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinsanity286 said:
I hate to drag up an OLD thread.. but I am curious. Where did these leds come from?

Wow! About a year old... well, guess that's not TOO bad. :)

The 10mm LEDs came from MPJA... I think they're still available although I can't guarantee the current ones will be exactly the same. Still, might as well give 'em a try!

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot man. And hey, I've seen people drag up threads over 3 years old so lay off:lolsign: