Ultrastinger questions

Taylorf

Enlightened
I just bought a Streamlight Ultra Stinger and have a few questions about it. I like the light and everything, but it has horrible throw. I compared it to my Surefire 8ax and its not even close. The Surefire shines quite a lot farther. The Ultra Stinger is pretty bright but its all flood. So i was wondering if there are any different heads that can increase the throw, any brighter bulb replacements, or any easy mods.
Thanks

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lack of throw is not a typical complaint with the US. My stock US throws quite well when focus is properly adjusted.

My modded US uses a WA 01160 lamp. You have to replace the plastic lens with glass. Huge throw and output.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focus (turn) the head. There's no way that an 8-series SF will out throw an Ultrastinger.

--dan

CLHC

Flashaholic
I believe there's another thread for a Fivemega Ultra Stinger upgrade kit over in the Group Buys and Passarounds that may be worth a look into.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yep - it sounds like you need to focus the beam
(I personally find it a pain that the beam can be defocused by simply rotating the bezel)
It could be that the bulb is not correctly seated.

The SureFire 8AX would need to have a TurboHead to intensity its beam to a similar level as the UltraStinger. However, the KT5 TurboHead is not sufficient to do this. You'd have to use the SRTH or T5. Even then the UltraStingers larger battery can power a brighter bulb. The SureFire with the closest beam to the UltraStinger is the [discontinued] 9NT.

Al

Some photos of various flashlights including the UltraStinger and 9NT:

Taylorf

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the help. Could someone post a picture of the lens and reflector. I might have found the problem but im not sure and I need to see a picture first to see if I am right.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips said:
Hey Flash

was that a wa1166 or a wa1160 bulb

Got my UCL in for the mod :naughty:

Nice to figure out that $100 light will focus. :ohgeez:

Oops. 1160 is correct. Typo.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
Is there a noticeable improvement with the WA1160 as compared to the stock bulb? Maybe I need to do this, as I have an US that never gets any attention.

thx
The beam is just awesome. There is a narrow center beam that throws like crazy. I adjust the focus on this portion of the beam until the donut hole is gone. This is surrounded by a huge cone of spill that lights up everything in the near field beautifully. Very symmetrical and very clean.

Luna

Enlightened
Flash_Gordon said:
The beam is just awesome. There is a narrow center beam that throws like crazy. I adjust the focus on this portion of the beam until the donut hole is gone. This is surrounded by a huge cone of spill that lights up everything in the near field beautifully. Very symmetrical and very clean.

When I was doing tests early last year to see how a US would fair against a MC using the WA and osram lamps. Seems the MC would always be better (even with a NiMH stick). Apparently, the switch was restrictive (and I even tried a new one)

The throw never seemed as good as the stock bulb to me.

Taylorf

Enlightened
Ok i think something is wrong with my US. Twisting the head has almost no effect at all . I will try to post some pictures (if i can figure out how) comparing the beams of my 8ax with my US.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Im curious about the Ultrastinger. There isnt a review of it on Flashlightreviews. I notice that according to Streamlight, the Ultrastinger has about 5 times the output as the Stinger. Do people find that accurate? If so how does that translate to lumens or to numbers for output and throw like in Flashlightforums for output and throw.

Taylorf

Enlightened
The US is supposed to be about 275 to 300 lumens. These numbers were the reason that i wanted to buy it, but like i said it isnt near as bright as my 8ax which is 105 lumens. This is why im trying to figure out what is wrong with mine.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is not going from wide to narrow focus by turning the head something is definately wrong. You may also have a bad cell in your battery pack. 2hour nimh 3600mah battery solutions are on sale here

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
When I was doing tests early last year to see how a US would fair against a MC using the WA and osram lamps. Seems the MC would always be better (even with a NiMH stick). Apparently, the switch was restrictive (and I even tried a new one)

The throw never seemed as good as the stock bulb to me.

I am getting the same results as Luna

Magcharger (stock battery) 1160 with FM LOP is blowing away UStinger (3600mah battery) with 1160 :thinking:

Magcharger is brighter and whiter. Gonna make sure Ustinger is fully charged.