EBAY EMAIL WARNING!

magic79

Enlightened
If you have been on eBay for a while, you have undoubtedly received fraudulent emails that want you to log in to a false site so they can harvest your password. Most are easy to spot.

I got one today that I had never seen before, and I got bitten! Fortunatly, I realized this quickly and changed my password.

The email is one of the "Question from member" emails. Of course, they have ripped off the HTML so it looks real...very real!

The email asked "Do you take PayPal?" My first reaction was "Of course you moron, can't you read my listing?", and with my attention diverted, I clicked "Reply". It had me log in, then immediatly went to the real eBay and came up "Item not found".

I started catching on at this point; closed all browsers; reopened, logged into the real eBay, and changed my password.

When I went back to the email, I found that hovering over the links revealed that ALL the links went to the same site: a spoof address!

If you get this email TRASH IT right away! If you have received it and tried to respond...go to the real site and change you password immediatly.

[EDIT] I just got a response from eBay that it is a fraudulent email. They reminded me, and I'll remind you, EVERY email you receive from eBay is echoed in your message folder in "My eBay". So, you can always go there to see if an email you received is real or fake.

Good luck! There are some real a$$es out there.

Last edited:

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten FOUR similar emails like that in the last two days. The (looking at header) routed thru Thailand, Italy, France, and Turkey.

The first two were questions on why I had not sent the merchandise that they had paid for(!) -coupled with a threat that they were going to the local police if I did not respond within 3 days.

The last two asked me to send pictures of the item (whatever it was) Said: "item not found" :D

I have nothing offered for sale on Ebay at the present time. :green:

Tip-off:
When you highlight the item #, they send you to the sign-in page. Normally you would go to the auction site FIRST, and THEN to answer the inquiry, you would have to sign in.

FAKE-FAKE-FAKE! NEVER USE A DIRECT LINK TO THE SIGN-IN PAGE.

magic79

Enlightened
vcal said:
Tip-off:
When you highlight the item #, they send you to the sign-in page. Normally you would go to the auction site FIRST, and THEN to answer the inquiry, you would have to sign in.

FAKE-FAKE-FAKE! NEVER USE A DIRECT LINK TO THE SIGN-IN PAGE.

You're RIGHT!! BE CAREFUL!!
I got a later email from eBay that said it COULD be a "keystroke virus", and it could be activated by simply clinking on the link! Hover over the links to make sure they match what the text says...or check My eBay before opening.

What a pain!!:xyxgun:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a similar email like this last week and reported it to eBay. I wonder if eBay actually takes any action other then to tell you its fraud.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten some real winners from paypal imposters too......
from some real life losers. :xyxgun:

Usually to the tune of;
"Let us help you, or you will somehow regret it" :sweat:

Many of these fictitious threats have come and long gone with no bad consequences. :laughing:

Ignore it and any lovely "service/help" links, log out of your email, bring up a fresh browser and go straight to your ebay, or paypal account that way.
99 times out of ten there will be perfectly nothing actually wrong with it,
as was claimed by the emailing loser. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts