Slimmest Surefires for easy pocket carry?

iamerror

Enlightened
I couldn't find any thread comparing all Surefire flashlights based on size/portablity. In some threads, people mention they like a certain flashlight because it is easily carried, but none where there is a comparison. The width of the flashlights should be the main focus because Surefire already lists the weight and length of their flashlights on their site. I own a Surefire G2 (great flashlight) which is very light and portable; it seems just a tad too thick to carry in jeans, however. It is easily carried in a jacket pocket, though. Flashlights like the E1E and E2E are shorter, but are they thinner too? Which Surefires are the thickest and which ones are the thinnest(measured at the thickest part of the flashlight)? Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Looking at my Surefire catalog, the scale drawings of the lights show the E series and L1, L2, L4 as roughly the same diameter tube, which all have 1" bezels. Thinner than a G2 or 6P which have 1.25" bezels.

Thickest is the M6 as far as I can tell. I wouldn't want to carry one of those in my jeans pocket.

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although all surefires are small in general, I would have to say that the SureFire E series or lights based on E series bodies (L1, L2, L4, E1l, E2l, etc) would best fit your small sized needs. And yes, the SureFire E series lights have the thinnest bodies although this would also mean that they get warmer more quickly than other lights. Their small size makes them the most popular SureFires used for Every day carry for their inobtrusiveness (real word?). I am sure Al will check in on this thread anytime now and post a few comparison pics of body thicknesses of a few surefires.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The bezel of the E2E is about the same size as the body on your G2. That is to say the largest diameter part of the E2E is about the same diameter as the smallest diameter part of your G2.
The L1/L2/A2 are slightly larger in diameter than the E series, but they seem to be about the same diameter as the E series and no where near as large in diameter as the G2.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Mags said. On their website, there's a link to compare the lights (under each type of lights). A new window will pop up with their drawings side by side.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It will take some time before Al will be able to post ... it is 05:00AM for him now as it is for me :D

Some comparisons:

Pentagonlightsize3.jpg

McLuxIIIsize.jpg

LineUp1.jpg

LineUp2.jpg

LineUp3.jpg

bernie

SCblur

Enlightened
Here are some 'hands-on' comparison pictures for you between the G2 and E2e. I thought since you already have the G2, this might help you visualize the size of the E series lights. Hope these help.

lites1.jpg

lites2.jpg

Now that you've seen some pictures, let me just say that the E2e IMHO, feels WAY smaller than the G2 in my hand. It goes with me EVERYWHERE, simply because it is so small for being almost identical to the G2 in terms or performance. That's my $.02

Last edited:

iamerror

Enlightened
Very quick and useful replies... I have seen the comparison chart at Surefire.com but did not realize the pictures in it were to scale (this probably should have been obvious) Great pictures posted to compare the G2 with. The E2E looks like a fine-crafted flashlight and the small size would be perfect for pocket carry. It is amazing the amount of power packed into these small instruments. Oh, I also did not take into consideration the smaller size heating up faster.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
iamerror said:
Oh, I also did not take into consideration the smaller size heating up faster.

Well I don't know about the "heating up faster" part. They seem to be about the same as with the other lights. But then again, I don't hardly notice it since to me they all make nice hand-warmers!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
If you have the parts, "LEGO" your own, with the E2E black or satin gray tear drop bezels (Lexan lens), with an E2 (not E2E) black or gunmetal body. Eliminates the pocket clip and hex anti roll feature. As slim as it gets, with Surefire parts.

oldgrandpajack

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I know you asked about surefires, but in my opinion there are more carry friendly lights(smaller, more features) than surefires. My personal favorite is my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XRGT. I used to think surefire was the only way to go (for many applications I suppose they are) but for a small every day carry light you can't beat the HDS.

SCblur

Enlightened
Anybody have a comparison shot of and HDS and a SF G2 or E2E? I've been looking into an HDS and was wondering how they compare for size.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't categorize any Surefire flashlight as being slim. If Surefire ever decides to pursue the market for slimness they need to adopt more available battery size options or they need to come up with a slim rechargeable battery and a new line to use it.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light most often in my pocket is a Surefire E2e. It's actually a bit shorter than my pocket knife (CRKT M14) and the little spring clip keeps it from banging against my keys and such. Usually I stick it in my back pocket and quickly forget about it until I need it.

Actually forgetting about it can be a bad thing too. Mine's gone through the laundry more than once.

Compared to the G2, the E2e is only about a half-inch shorter but is a lot thinner (21mm vs. 26mm at the body).

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that my HDS was pocket friendly till I started carrying a pic modded Fenix. The fenix is much less intrusive to carry.

I'm considering an E2e for bag carry since incands still offer alot in terms of spectrum and on occasion I feel the need for more throw than th mcr18 in the fenix offers.