Died and went to heaven for $1743

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had half of the morning to kill today in Carlsbard, Calif, while my wife was attending tax seminar in nearby Oceanside. With not much else to do, I decided to call Xenonics, and see about obtaining a possible sample for review purposes.

Xenonics are the folks that make the HIGHTHUNTER AND THE NIGHTHUNTER-II. When I called, I told that them that I was a flashaholic, and the person I spoke to said, sure, stop on by, did I need any directions and that I should ask for Jeff Kennedy (?).

When i arrived, the receptionist had me wait in the conference room; Jeff arrived from the upstairs offices, greeted me and my 2 little ones like we were old high buddies.

I got to take a peek of the manufacturing floor, and then the lights , or should I say, light sabres, I have once before seen and played with a MAXABEAM so I knew what to expect in terms of light output. What impressed me the most was DESIGN of the light On a scale of manufacturing, if the MAXABEAM were a maglight, the NIGHTHUNTER is Surefire M series

The NightHunter-II was incredible!!! This light is roughly the length of a 4d Maglight, but much much thicker (3 1/2" ). When shined on a wall 25-30 away, the diameter of the beam was only 2 to 3 inches. THe light focuses much like a Maglight, but WITHOUT THE BLACKHOLE IN THE MIDDLE, AND NO RINGS. Also, and most important, is that both lights use Xenon Short ARC technology and START INSTANTLY, NO WARM UP WHAT SO EVER.

The night hunter-II is 14.4 volts, nickle metal hydride; 2 hour continious burn, 1 hour rapid charge, 12-35 vdc with optional ac charger and weighs 4.4 pounds IR and UV filters sold seperate

Its hard for me to say this, but it makes my light cannon look like a toy.... all this for $1743 (case sold seperate)
smile.gif
One more thing... one would think only military and LEO would be his only clients... not so...
now, the motion picture industry has also embraced his products and it is why they are 4 months backordered!

BTW, Jeff Kennedy is President and COO for Xenonics

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anath,

there was a thread with pics a while ago under named HID or so - pics and links and everything included - just do a search on Xenonics

Klaus

pwell

Newly Enlightened
Excellent post Ted! Its good to know such lights exist. I've got a rush just thinking about it.

DArklite

Enlightened
They give no actual beam output figures on their website, from what I could see.... just superlatives such as "up to 10 times farther" and "brilliant".
Sounds like marketing hype to me.
To their credit, though, they do give beam spread, lamp life and charging specs.
rolleyes.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had the opportunity to meet the owner of the company, I think you would understand why Xenonics doesn't have some of the typical million zillion candle power claims like some others.

The handout spec sheet lists the bulb as a 75 watt Xe Short Arc, appox 1000 hr life.

People know" the quality of Surefire; Surefire need not make inlfated advetising claims. Those that use the MAXABEAM and XENONICS type products don't really care that they are 2.6 billion or 1.9 whatever.... they are the brightest portable lights availble today, and thats all you really neeed to know.

DArklite

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
.... they are the brightest portable lights availble today, and thats all you really neeed to know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's not all I need to know.
Unless they either post their specs or comparative beamshots, they might as well be selling the Brooklyn Bridge.
tongue.gif

I have an LSI RC3800 spotlight I paid about $80 for; it's rechargeable and it suits me well when I need something that will penetrate darkness.
...and oh yeah, they do post their specs as well as beamshots.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Died and went to heaven...well at 1743 bucks I would have to die and collect my little life insurance to get it. And I would probable end up in hell were I don`t need it. Oh well...At least I have my dreams. It sounds like one nice light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ted Bear: WOW! I would love to handle the
NightHunter II. Sounds like you had a great day up there.
But....I'm curious. I've been reading all I
can on the Maxa Beam and Night Hunters, and
I still can not determine exactly where the
high cost of production is. Which technology
is the lion's share of that 1700 dollar plus
price tag. It can't be the batteries can it?
NiMH technology is on the way down price wise. Is it the bulb? Did Mr. Kennedy talk
about this with you?
Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
My take:

Where does the money go?

R&D

Simple answer, but R&D is not simple, or cheap, takes time, and the winding path to end product is littered with failures.

Four months to save up... Hmmmm. Perhaps not the intended use for a graduate loan!

Seeing the NightHunterII would have me grinnig like a sheep, for sure!

Al
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

R&D makes sense. But.....I'm thinking after
a while as R&D expenses are gained, new
sales could become lower priced.
Gee!...The NightHunterII contains it's own
battery charger in the handle....that's wild!
Also I found the site where the U.S. Border
Patrol is issueing the NHII.
on the other hand, I'm thinking the Ultra
Stinger is really a great deal for about a
hundred bucks!

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you all, no way is there $1700 worth of materials involved in the manufature of that light. The cost of the light is R&D and intellectual content. Instant start up and no black hole..... Just to compare, the bulb element was maybe 1/4 thick and nearly 2 inches long; the reflector was much different... 3 1/2" wide face, but easliy 4-4 1/2' deep. The finish of the reflector didn't seem to be anything special, the shape was not a conventional V but more like a bee hive
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
... the reflector didn't seem to be anything special, the shape was not a conventional V but more like a bee hive
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
( )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW Ted - I can just see it now !!!
I have a wild imagination ......

Seriously, can you get any more specs or photos from this guy, it sounds real interesting.

lightlover
wink.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
hey Darklite, lighten up! Xenonics does post some beam shots, taken from (a claimed) 1500 feet; http://www.Xenonics.com/Products/difference/difference.html
(don't forget to place your cursor over the dark picture to 'enlighten' the scene)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems like the beam pictures are from Hunter and not from Hunter II. Based on their battery capacities and runtime, they're pretty different. It'd great if they would show beam picture/chart comparison for Hunter II.

I guess that 75W Short Arc lamp might not be for Hunter II based on its runtime and battery voltage and capacity.

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 'emergency light with the cool integrated charger nullin the handle!!. It's a $30 dollar Coleman product...

1700 bucks?
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Died and went to heaven...well at 1743 bucks I would have to die and collect my little life insurance to get it. And I would probable end up in hell were I don`t need it. Oh well...At least I have my dreams. It sounds like one nice light. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that, KenB!! It would still be a vast disappointment, though... The 'light at the end of the tunnel' has received NO complaints
grin.gif