Need a pocket light with specific characteristics

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a pocket light with some pretty specific characteristics, and would appreciate your recommendations. I carry a Mag AAA around because it fits very comfortably and unobtrusively in my pocket. I would like to replace it with something better that satisfies the following criteria: same length as the Mag AAA, 5" (125mm), no shorter; thinner than a Mag AA (so a head 1" (25mm) or less and a body no wider than 5/8" (16mm)), much brighter than my Mag AAA, single LED with a fairly tight beam (not a multi-LED), run time not that important, and should be fairly scratch-resistent in both body and lens. A little heavier than the Mag AAA would be welcome. Did I mention much brighter?

So, something slightly fatter than the Mag AAA would be OK, but definitely thinner than the AA. The Surefires Es mentioned and displayed beautifully in the "Slimmest Surefires for easy pocket carry" thread look too stout, definitely not slim compared to the Mag AAA. If I could squeeze a 3 Watt Luxeon into the same AAA-sized package, that might just do it. Any suggestions?

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your replies, and here is where it gets a little interesting. I like the RedRock 2 AAA too, but it doesn't meet one of my criteria: it's too short. I am actually looking for something longer than that, as I said, no shorter than the Mag AAA, which is 5" long, yet slim, not stout like the Surefires. The Inova T1 looks very close to meeting all my criteria, but I am somewhat nervous about the front lens getting scratched up in my pocket. Anyway, please note the length criteria when suggesting lights. Thanks again!!

Somy Nex

Enlightened
you can also consider the Peak Mediterranean/Caribbean with a 2AA body. I think it is BentheadTX that has reported quite positively on the Mediterranean w/2AA body setup (you can search around for his posts), and it'll be bright and have quite a bit of throw as well. minus points is that it will probably be as thick as the minimagAA, but it will definitely be slimmer than the Inova T1, which is 0.98-1.0" thick; and it won't be cheap =)

the main difference between the caribbean & the mediterranean is that the mediterranean has a larger head, which gives more throw and sacrifices some spill, while the caribbean seems to have a better balance of the two.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Those are great suggestions, I am going to look very closely at the Peaks and the Fenix L2p, as well as the JIL Intelli. Thank you very much for your ideas! This place is great!

Somy Nex

Enlightened
be sure to check out www.flashlightreviews.com, ledmuseum.org, and cones-stuff.co.uk (Jil Intelli) for some reviews on all of these lights =)

something about the mediterranean/carribbean i forgot to mention before, i think MJ of Peak just told us that the caribbean is meant more for intermittent use, especially if driven on the higher voltage of RCR123s (which i do with mine), while the larger head of the mediterranean is more suited to head dissapation, which when on the higher voltage, gives you a (even) brighter light but more heat as well.

http://cones-stuff.co.uk/

Latest posts