WL's new Pulsar 100mW 650nm quick review... *VIDEO*

kushy04

Newly Enlightened
compared the following to my new Pulsar...
AtlasNova 22mW
Hyundai 5mW 650nm (who knew thy made lasers too...)
WL Equinox

4 lasers in total, 2 colors...

Pulsar Comments/review:
First impression of the Pulsar wasn't too good... I thought the visibility of the beam was poor compared to any green laser, it truly does have the visibility of a 5mW greenie. But then again, you have to keep in mind that your eye is in fact more sensitive to green than red. As far as burning power, the beam is far too wide to even smoke the blackest of black (either that or I received a defective unit). I'm not saying that it CAN'T burn, I'm just saying it can't burn on its own without optics. I used my camera lens to focus the beam and it HURT like @(*%&@... my skin litereally SMOKED, and it freaked me out! My green laser never 'smoked' my skin like that, it only stung. Compared to my 100mW greenie, it is the same except visibility is not near as good, the burning potential of the pulsar can only be used with the aid of optics (although the burning capabilities is just as good, if not better), and it can be left on indefinately without any type of duty cycle. Even coloring my hand black only warmed the spot with the pulsar, the beam is alot bigger than i thought it would be. But the beam seems to stay that size over large distances and doesnt diverge as dramatically as my greenies, which is a plus. Also, the beam becomes much more visible with anything in the air, smoke, rain, snow, fog, mist, anything...

Summary:
All in all, although I was somewhat disappointed at first with the pulsar. I do very much like it, and because it CAN be left on indefinately without a duty cycle like the greenies and because it has a good build to it, I have decided to keep it as it is in my opinion worth $200. Those with the intentions to burn and pop balloons with the pulsar will be disappointed unless you use a beam extender to further focus the beam. The true laser enthusiasts such as myself shouldn't give up the opportunity to own such a powerful 650nm laser at such a price.

Overall Grade:
B-

Video Link (done with a fog maker):
http://media.putfile.com/pulsarcomparison43

Last edited:

EGP

Newly Enlightened
Kushy, feel I have to add a reply here, since I've both cut black tape and popped balloons (w/a black dot on) with the Pulsar, without any extra focusing aid, so it does have some burn-potential, although it's nowhere near a green of comparable power, due to the fat beam.

Popping balloons

Cutting tape

Videos are rather large, sorry about that.

Cheers,
Erling

teslacoiler1

Newly Enlightened
kushy, Great review and video. In the video the Pulsar beam looks to be about twice the with of the Hyundai. Is this the case or does it look this way because of the difference in power output and smoke in the room?

Keep in mind I'm still a laser newbie. Wouldn't it be possible to construct a beam reducer to attach to it that would make it smaller, but still keep the output the reduced size over a distance?

kushy04

Newly Enlightened
no, the pulsar's beam is actually quite large in diameter compared to the 5mw red

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You know, the Anthrax song "Big Fat" (from their 1998 album "Volume 8 - The Threat is Real") would have been very appropriate for that video too. :thumbsup:

kushy04

Newly Enlightened
i'll redo the video if I have it saved still later and add that song instead of the current one...

nero_design

Enlightened
For those of you unable to access Kushy's gallery, I'm reposting my original review of the Red Wicked Laser here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98373

There's links to my first experiments and plenty of clear photographs as well.
The red laser is holding up nicely still. No problems or hiccups so far although I don't exactly abuse it and am still on my first set of batteries. Running some new tests shortly with the first pair of 650nm safety glasses from Wicked... will post on my results shortly. They sure look good compared to the old safety goggles.

Cheers!

Latest posts