How do you resist the urge?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
How do you resist the urge to buy a new flashlight when ever a new a better one pops up? Spouse? Money? Self control? I may be preaching to the minority here but I got to ask anyway. I was going to make this a poll, but I'm sick of all of the polls that we have had lately, so say whatever you want.

One of the main things that has stopped me from spending my savings for college is that I do not have a paypal acount. It has been very tempting to get one lately, but I've resisted. All of the group buys that come up I can not participate in becuase of this. (And if there is a easy way to do it with out paypal, dont tell me, I don't want to know:nana:)

Do you have a flashlight acount? Do you only buy a certain amount a year, a month?

Or do you just give in and enjoy the feeling of a new light, while eating out of bowl of ramen becuase that is all that you can afford after your new flashlight?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It usually has to do with the wifey's fiscal radar.:candle:

If someone could invent an effective countermeasure to that they would be very wealthy.:p

A different take on magic79's reply....

Resist or serve!:sweat:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I resist the urge?
I set a standard of improvement of new lights coming out to keep the demons under control. For my EDC lights to include keychain, they have to be at least 100% brighter (by lux, not eyes) with close to the same runtime. For example, my Matterhorn 3 Snow29 replaced my original Matterhorn 3 Snow since the added light intensity justified the purchase. The upcoming Ocean AAA will replace the Matterhorn Snow29 due to at least a 100% increase in light output.
The other thing to remember is added features. The Ocean AAA will have a momentary switch/twist for on which makes it a great keychain EDC. My wife will grab the Matterhorn Snow29 so everyone will be happy.
Then there is durability. My Mediterranean 2AA has roughly the same output and runtime as the BB500 R2H Minimag it replaced. The upside is durability as it can handle running constantly without heat problems, is waterproof and has HA-III anodizing.
A Fenix L1P replaced a BB500 R2H minimag as a helmet mounted bicycle light. This was done to decrease the size, improve the asthetics and drop the weight of the system. It is not as bright which is a problem but will easily be solved with a Miller Mods L1P with a two-stage switch. It will run the stock R bin at 500mA for almost an hour or 2.5 hours on "low" for longer runtimes if needed. The Miller Mods L1P will give me the brightness of the BB500 R2H minimag but will be waterproof, smaller, lighter and look much better on my helmet. This is the most critical flashlight (helmet light) that I use so my wife does not complain. The original L1P will be mounted on my son's chopper bike to add to his existing light.
My third light that will be purchased this year is Andrew Wynn's BAM 4 Luxeon K2 variable output (hi/med/lo by twisting the Mag head) it is a 90 second drop-in mod and will give me 400+ lumens at the LEDs. My nFlex WX1S LuxeonV 170 lumen 8AA to 2D Mag is being replaced as a frame mounted bike light for several reasons. The BAM will be more durable, have over a 100% increase in brightness, easier switching for output, more efficient, easily changed bodies (Mag 2D 8AA, Mag 3D 9AA, Mag 6C for looooong runtimes) can handle more heat and have a wider hotspot/more flood for bike riding. The nFlex 8AA LuxeonV Mag will be used at work or for emergency lighting with a very loooong runtime on low with the head removed for a flood light.
My goal is only three flashlights for 2006! My wife agrees and has no problem with it. I even told her the prices and she does not have a problem (OK, the BAM she does but understands that I use my bike for transportation)
My wife's urge to hit me with a frying pan is a level lower than my urge to get new lights. I think that is the best way to do it... threat of bodily damage tends to work. BTW, I can purchase Luxeon K2 emitters to upgrade the MillerMod L1P when they become available so it does not count. Gotta love the fine print!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead said:
It usually has to do with the wifey's fiscal radar.:candle:

If someone could invent an effective countermeasure to that they would be very wealthy.:p

A different take on magic79's reply....

Resist or serve!:sweat:

There ARE countermeasures. To some, they are called knives, guns, tools, watches, gadgets and car parts.

My gal thinks I've spent $250 on lights and already gave me an earful. (I do buy quite a bit of $10 lights, so she thinks that is the avg price). If she knew it was $2.5k instead, I think I'd better dodge :duck: or I'll get :whoopin:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fund all my light purchases with Ebay sales.. Out with the old and in with the new.. I have developed a hobby of finding good deals (on whatever) and selling on Ebay. Presto! Instant Light cash. :)

Arkayne

Enlightened
I've been selling junk in the garage on Craigslist to fund my online parts purchases. It makes me feel better knowing that I break pretty much even.