Modding a plastic 2D flashlight

G-force

Newly Enlightened
My only mod thusfar has been a 2D Maglite. I used (2) 3aa to D battery converters from Elektrolumens.com and have been using stock Maglite 4, 5, and 6 cell Krypton bulbs. This setup meets my needs and wants (please don't be evil and tempt me with some way of converting my Maglite into a phaser, thank you very much). I did, however, want to try this same formula on a smaller, cheaper plastic 2D flashlight, such as a "Bright Star Lighting (Koehler): 2D Industrial Flashlight, 2217 Worksafe" which goes for $7.50 at http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=KOE2217 . Would the plastic body (or other components?) be a problem with my proposed setup? In other words would anything melt, fry, or otherwise fail prematurely? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for fun, I put 4x123 cells and a KPR118 bulb in a plastic and rubber Garrity 2D light. I didn't experience any heat issues though it's not like I ran it for 1 hour at a time. I think the reflector is metal though. No issues with the lens or the plastic bits around the bulb holder.

Actually, I did have an issue, but it wasn't heat related. Though the reflector is already textured (faceted, actually) I wanted to sputter it for a smoother beam but the lens is like hyper glued to the reflector.

Christo_pull_hair.gif