Fun with UV LED's and vaseline glass...

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if any of you have heard of vaseline glass, but in short it is called 'depression glass' by a lot of folks who collect it. It is also known as 'uranium glass.' I am a light collector of it.

It is (was) manufactured with uranium oxide, and is slightly radioactive, but is not dangerous. The uranium oxide was added as a coloring agent, a pale yellow.

Because of the uranium oxide, the glass will flouresce under ultraviolet light. And as I discovered last night, it will also flouresce quite nicely with ultraviolet LED's. My daughters got LED 'spy pens' for stocking stuffers this Christmas, and of course I've been playing with them ever since. You write with 'invisible' ink and then use the LED in the cap to show what is written.

Well, I was sitting in a chair in the living room and beaming the pens around, when all of a sudden my daughter grew very concerned with something in the corner. I discovered that it was the vaseline glass that was glowing when I drew the LED beam across it.

That kicked off a whole hour of play with the LED's and the vaseline glass. The more intense the light, the more intense glow. Black lights do pretty good, but the LED's make the things literally glow with internal fire.

I don't want to hot link here, and I don't have a facility for posting images, but if you're curious about vaseline glass and how it glows, do an ebay search on 'vaseline glass' and you'll get a taste of what I'm talking about.

It now has me thinking: If I get glow paint to paint some 'garden features' in my back yard, and then get some cheap harbor freight LED solar lights, I can replace the white LED's with UV LED's to get some freaky glow in the dark effects.

I figure if I paint some garden gnomes with the glow paint, and place the UV solar lights near them, that should be sufficient to creep out my neighbor who is always peering over the fence at night, trying to figure out what I'm doing with all the flashlights.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry 4 vaseline marbles in my EDC bag to use for parlor tricks with my Jil 1.3w UV light. For non-flashaholics, it's a real attention getter and a great conversation piece.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Kids love my vaseline glass marbles, but then they want to play with the Inova X5UV, and I don't let em burn their retinas out.

daloosh

carrot

Flashaholic
I found a bunch for pretty cheap on eBay. I was going to buy them, but then I started wondering, just how radioactive are they? Are they hot (radioactively) enough to be dangerous? At all?

fluorescent

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry about anything that the marbles or other glass would emit. Your television probably puts out more... I think Vaseline glass is some of the coolest stuff out there. I've been collecting different fluorescent marbles for about 15 years. Started getting into glassware about 10 years ago. At one point I had several bookshelfs filled up with stuff and two four foot black light bulbs above it. It was nuts to see it all glowing... I think we should open this thread up to some pictures! Come on people I know you have some pics to post. Here are some Akro Agate orangeades, one of the more difficult colors to find.
glowmibs.jpg

glowmibs1.jpg

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
just wondering if the glass is radio active will it glow by itself in the dark, why do some only glow w/UV assist if it's radioactive wouldnt it just always glow??

is the radioactive stuff also flourscent? confused how that works, i understand how radio active stuff glows sorta and how stuff like uv paint floursces sorta i think but not both

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
it doesn't glow by itself. It's not that radio active :D You can measure it with a geiger counter, but it's perfectly safe to keep in your pocket.

I have a lamp made of it. It's just green glass until you shine UV on it. It definitely glows good with the Inova UV X5 I've got :D

I should get some marbles...

fluorescent

Enlightened
Vaseline glass doesn't really glow by itself. Under ultraviolet light, vaseline glass emits high energy emissions of electrons. The lights strong flow of electrons has an unsettling effect on the unstable uranium atom. The electrons circling the nucleus of the atom are pulled out of orbit towards the ultraviolet light and back again. The energy that is released is in the form of yellow-green glow characteristic of uranium.

Quoted from "Yellow-Green Vaseline - The Magic Glass" by Jay Glickman:

"First of all the coloring agent used in glass is not the unstable and radioactive element uranium, but the more stable compound URANIUM DIOXIDE. <emphasis mine> Secondly, this uranium compound is only 1% to 2% per volume of the glass. Finally, and most importantly, it is the medium, glass itself, which contributes to the safety of Vaseline Glass.
Glass, being a solid, is a barrier or shield to radiation. Glass is actually used in radiation rooms for such purposes."

Prior to WWII it wasn't regulated to manufacture it by the government. After the war, restrictions on the safe handling of the raw materials were put in place. The safety precautions were expensive for most manufacturers to implement and most just stopped making glass with it. There are other chemicals that will produce a similar effect in modern glass.

Marbles can be found on eBay and range from common clear yellow ones typically sold in large lots, to rare antiques. Most of the ones I collect were made by a company named Akro Agate which went out of business in the early 50s. A handfull of the common ones are typically a few dollars. The above Akro orangeades range in price from 40 to 75 dollars a piece. Akro made other colors of fluorescent marbles. Yellow were lemonades, green are called limeades. These range in price from $20-40 for a 5/8" marble.

Here is a flower pot made by Akro.
ox296_1.jpg

ox296_8.jpg

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo hoo!
I was just telling my wife about this vaseline glass stuff, she said "it's green, I have green glass of my grandfathers" I hit it with my UV and BOOM.. Way too cool.. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Fluorescent, those marbles are really pretty!

I should show these to my friend -- she's looking for stuff to do with her 3 LED UV Inova clone (looks like a mini X5 with 3 LEDS).

Anyone know what works better with uranium marbles? Shortwave UV? Longwave?

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
fluorescent said:
I think you ment to say Uranium Dioxide ;)

:thinking: .... The synonym for Uranium Dioxide may be uranium oxide;
uranic oxide; urania, or yellowcake.

UO2 .................................... :whistle:

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
fluorescent said:
Vaseline glass doesn't really glow by itself. Under ultraviolet light, vaseline glass emits high energy emissions of electrons. The lights strong flow of electrons has an unsettling effect on the unstable uranium atom. The electrons circling the nucleus of the atom are pulled out of orbit towards the ultraviolet light and back again. The energy that is released is in the form of yellow-green glow characteristic of uranium.

<<<thanks v much all and espically fluorescent , i feel much better now
i think i'll velcro a uv led to my little gigercounter

fluorescent

Enlightened
Pwdrkeg said:
:thinking: .... The synonym for Uranium Dioxide may be uranium oxide;
uranic oxide; urania, or yellowcake.

UO2 .................................... :whistle:

uranium dioxide = UO2
sodium diuranate (Na2U2O7·6H2O), also known as yellow cake

different formulas and your saying they may be the same?

I've seen both mentioned in the recipe for uranium glass... since uranium is usually in the form of uranium dioxide I would assume that is what is more frequently used.

billw

Enlightened
I *have* been wondering what sort of creating things can be done with
UV (or even blue) LEDs and fluorescent paint or dyes. Modulated LEDs
shining on a fluorescein solution in a wave machine type application,
for instance? Dripping fluorescent slime. Oil and water combinations
each with their own appropriately solube dye. Plastic ornaments with
internal LEDs and paint... There are a lot of interesting possibilities.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
The Condensed Chemical Dictionary -

uranium dioxide

Synonyms:
uranium oxide
uranic oxide
urania
yellowcake

CAS: 1344-57-6

M Formula: UO2

Properties: Black crystals, insoluble in water, soluble in nitric acid and concentrated sulfuric acid, density 10.9, melting point 3000C.

Derivation: Powdered uranium ore is digested with hot nitric-sulfuric acid mixture and filtered to remove the insoluble portion. Sulfate is precipitated from the solution with barium carbonate, and uranyl nitrate is extracted with ether. After re-extraction into water, it is heated to drive off nitric acid, leaving uranium trioxide. The latter is reduced with hydrogen to the dioxide. Can be prepared from uranium hexafluoride by treating with ammonia and subsequent heating of the ammonium diuranate. It is also recovered from phosphoric acid.

Hazard: High radiation risk. Ignites spontaneously in finely divided form.

Use: A crystalline (or pellet) form is used to pack nuclear fuel rods.

Just thought it would be interesting ................ :thinking: