Newbie wants opinions/help on Aleph/KL1

bmlove

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys... newbie here with a couple (probably dumb) questions. I'm buying myself a "present" (meaning decent flashlight). It'll be a occasional carry flashlight, so it can't be too big. I was thinking of ordering a 1xCR123 Aleph body and a 2-stage switch from The Sandwich Shoppe and adding a Surefire KL1.

1) is this a good carry light? I would assume so with the small size, decent output and good runtime (in low mode with the 2-stage switch)

2) will it take RCR123s? I would assume since you can run 2x123s on the KL1 that the 3.7V wouldn't be a problem

3) is the KL1 the "natural" anodized color? Or would I be better off going with
the Aleph black?

I really appreciate the help. I have some "decent" flashlights--but never a really nice one... and I just wanted to solicit opinions before I made a $120 mistake. Thanks!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Aleph 1x123 body and KL1 head, it is an excellent edc imho. The KL1 will match the Aleph body, I can't tell the difference. You will love the two way switch, I have both the standard and flat top, 22 and 10 ohm. And yes you can run r123. I think you have made an excellent decision!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi and welcome to CPF ! :)

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes, the KL1 is natural, but I am unsure if the black version is out or not.

You might want to consider a beamshaper for your new light for close-up work, too. Makes a floodier beam ... since the KL1 has virtually no spill.

bernie

bmlove

Newly Enlightened
Ok... suggestions on the beamshaper or on another head that provides a bit more spill? I thought about the KL4--but its expensive and it would probably drain the battery in a hurry!

Thanks for the suggestions/help.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The beamshaper makes your light into a light that can change its beam characteristic like a focussable light. This is good, and not many good lights can do that.

If you want a head with more spill there are a lot of options:

- KL1, older version, modded with IMS reflector (those can be had on B/S/T on a regular basis, or you might want to post a WTB)
- McGizmo's Aleph2 head
- KL4 (long runtime with really good brightness on CR123 and full regulation with max. burn on Li-Ion ... so there a 2-stage cap is "mandatory". Otherwise a great combo used a lot around here. Note that there are a few KL4s that won't run on 1x123, but this is rare)
- Aleph1 head from McGizmo with more throw and spill

Of the above noted, the modded old version KL1 should be the most affordable as all the others (KL4 and McGizmo heads) are more on the expensive side.

Honestly ... the KL1 + beamshaper is a good solution and is more affordable than the rest ... try it, and if later you know more and can define your needs better you can always buy another head or more E-Series compatible parts.

The SF E-Series are really great when it comes to modularity:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64308

bernie

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few more things...I have a combo like that and it's excellent. I opted for a trim Aleph tailcap for less bulk, and I had a modified older KL1, which you can have optics or a reflector for a nice wide beam unlike the tight beam of the current KL1 with TIR optics. The old KL1 draws less power, I believe. I was getting about 80-90 minutes on 1 protected RCR123 before the battery shuts down (before the light drops out of regulation). Otherwise the rechargeble batt is highly recommended.

I now have a modded KL4 head on the combo for EDC. A LOT of light available when you want it!

bmlove

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the help. I did a fair amount of reading here trying to find something that would fit my basic needs and was within my budget (which seems a bit extreme to me--$120, the most I've ever spent before was for a Arc AAA-P--but is nothing to some people around here). Part of the reason I picked the E-series/Aleph is that I knew I could play flashlight-legos if I ever wanted to do/try something different.

I think I'm going to try the trim Aleph tailcap, a 1x123 body, some RCR123s, and a KL1 with a beamshaper.