flood LED similar to x5?

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
i really like the x5 since it is flood and great for close range usage and inside the tent and what not, and walkin around at festivals where u dont want to blind people, but i just wish it was regulated.

anything else around the size and power of the x5 that is regulated? i would rather have 6 hours of same intensity good light than 20 hours of steadily decreasing light.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L2 on low or Surefire L4 with two stage McGizmo switch might fit the bill.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the only thing to keep in mind is the 123s have a relatively flat discharge rate when used in low load situations such as the X5. Using your example, you will NEVER notice a dimming effect over the first six hours of using the X5 on fresh cells.

But... a Minimag with the Opalec Newbeam will give you regulated output, but I don't think there is much more output or much flatter output than the non-regulated Nite Ize module available at 1/4 or 1/5 the cost and the tint on the Nite Ize modules is consistantly VERY nice.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
idiotekniQues wrote: "anything else around the size and power of the x5 that is regulated?"

I liked cratz2's suggestion of the Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA.

A couple of others that you could consider - both smaller and more pocketable -

8LED 1AA "Xnova" New - this is NOT regulated - so on a plain Alkaline AA this will show diminishing brightness. However using either a Lithium AA or a rechargeable NiMH AA - this will have pretty flat output until a relatively sudden and obvious drop in brightness. (this is actually a "good thing" if using a rechargeable NiMH as it's time to recharge it before damage due to over-discharge). However because this runs on a single AA and has to use a step-up circuit - the runtime is not long - probably in the order of 2-3hours.

0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S - another single AA light - this time 0.5watt - I have one with a pretty big hotspot almost the same size as the Xnova 8 above - but in addition it has very useable side-spill corona. According to FlashlightReviews.com (link Advancedmart 0.5 Watt 1-AA Keychain) this will run pretty flat on a single Lithium AA for nearly 9 hours.....
the "flat" behavior will be similar on NiMH rechargeable AA due to charateristics of the battery type(s).
Actually even on a plain Alkaline the drop (runtime of just over 6 hours) probably would not be noticed for any real practical usage.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
hmmm... the surefire are out of my price range.

thanks for the suggestion, especially unknown, those are some detailed posts you linked to. nice work.

so far im stickin with the x5, seems as far as a multi-LED mini flood light it is the best for me. i like the inova build quality, i trust it. i had my x5 i lost after a few years, that sucker took a beatin and was tough tough tough.

partnered with the nuwai tm115-x i think i am in business for under 60 bucks for my two lights.

money being an object of course :)

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
enLIGHTenment said:
Peak McKinley seems to fit the bill. It's a regulated single-CR123A light that''s a bit brighter than the X5 and isn't hugely expensive. Runtime is, however, much shorter than the X5.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_mckin_ultrasnow.htm
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/CR123HA.html

Peak makes an AA body if you'd rather use AA batteries rather than CR123As.

now that is a supercool lil pocket light.

i should have mentioned, i want like 5 hours solid runtime on a near-high output. that is key. even if it takes 2 - 3 batteries (though not C size batteries, 123 size or up to 4 aa)

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
idiotekniQues said:
i should have mentioned, i want like 5 hours solid runtime on a near-high output.

The McKinley I pointed out above will supposedly do four hours in regulation when using 2xAA NIMH. If you're made of money, you could approach Peak's custom design centre and ask them to make a reduced output McKinley that will run for five hours+ on 2xCR123As or 2xAA NIMH, but the costs might be a litttle steep.

Failing that, however, there aren't that many options. There aren't a lot of lights that will do 5 hours in regulation. The three I know of--Inova T2, Peak Atlantic (with AA body and NIMH) and Peak Glacier Bay (also with AA body)--are all a fair bit brighter than the X5 and have spot beams rather than the diffuse flood of the X5.

Something else that comes to mind is an EternalLight, but I don't know if they're fully regulated.

Long running, regulated, low output is not a market niche that has attracted that much attention.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
idiotekniQues wrote: "so far im stickin with the x5, seems as far as a multi-LED mini flood light it is the best for me. i like the inova build quality, i trust it. i had my x5 i lost after a few years, that sucker took a beatin and was tough tough tough."

The X5 probably is a good choice since you already know it.

Just another suggestion for you to look at - I thought these were no longer available - 1x CR123 Bowling Pin 9LED

But it seems that AdvancedMart has them -
Aluminum 9 White LED tough pocket Lithium powered Flashlight (GT-179)
trans_1x1.gif

- the runtime according to the AdvancedMart page seems to be in excess of 20 hours, and being Lithium CR123 based the brightness level is probably going to be pretty flat for most of its life - certainly for within the first 5-6 hours.

The 9 LEDs give a flood type spot - it is not quite as nice tint or as big a flood-spot as the 8LED 1AA "Xnova" New but the long runtime and flat brightness level - probably will make up for it......