O sink and new round slug

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the new round slug luxeons fit on the O-sink being sold by flashlightlens?

I'm planning to do a Lux V mag mod but as I understand it, all the new luxeons now use the round slug.

If not, I assume the hotlips should have no such problem.

Thanks.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they will, I need a few that will fit the new round slug myself very soon, one that will fit the LuxV DD would be nice also.

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering about this myself. I purposely ordered the o-sinks for their "built in" centering provision and would hate to have to turn it down.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody remember who made these? I believe flashlightlens is just the vendor, correct?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess that means that I'll be turning the tops of my o-sinks flat and making a centering jig.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I used an o-sink and just scraped out the edges of it to still provide a centred position. Works lovely!
marc

BlueLight

Newly Enlightened
I have an osink lying on my desk as well. How did you scrape out the edges? What tools did you use?

Thanks

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Round slug will not go into an Osink at this stage.
I usually just grind off the locking seat at the top of the osink until flat,
with a Dremel and then "bullseye" mount the Luxeon onto the Osink.
Just to be fancy, if you have a lathe and some glowpaper, you can stick that to the flat-topped sink.
Then cut a hole into the paper same diameter as the round slug, with the Osink, or Hotlips on the lathe.
Then use the hole in the paper to center your led when you mount it.

You might still, end up with it slightly off center, but most maglites are also slightly off center too. :p
Just rotate the reflector around inside the bezel until you get a good spot beam.
Eventually, your slightly off center work will line up perfect with Mag's off center workmanship, and you will have a very good beam. :)

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd_shift said:
...if you have a lathe and some glowpaper, you can stick that to the flat-topped sink.
Then cut a hole into the paper same diameter as the round slug, with the Osink, or Hotlips on the lathe.
Then use the hole in the paper to center your led when you mount it.

...:)

If I had a lathe I would cut a pocket for the round slug:devil:

I do have access to a lathe:poke: :whistle:
C

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I just used a short thick bladed knife, scraped it carefully and patiently, kept trying it for fit. It was a labour of love but i got there in the end!
marc

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotbeam's made the original hotlips. It was a HUGE step forward from the legacy plate that they used in the Space Needle 2. Sold in the Sandwich Shop.
yaesumofo's made the o-sink, which was another step forward with the addition of emitter self centering. Sold at flashlightlens.com

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes about 20nseconds with a dremel to fix tr issue.

I have a new lot of O-Sinks in the pipeline. There wil be copper and aluminum units thetimes will fit the round slug and the old slug.
This is just a few weeks away depending on the level of current govt contracts my machine has. Otherwise just the smallest amount work with a dremel will do the trick,'The areas we are talking about are so small that the work could be done with a file. Just have a bit of patience and all of your O-sink needs will be met with the addition if a run of copper for those of you who want to push your emitters to the max while protecting (somewhat) from the heat developed. I am now looking at some dual core aluminum and copper (a la CPU coolers) with the core bring copper and the body in aluminum. These (if they make it to the world0 will cost a bit more and I am not sure they will be worth the extra costs involved.

IT LOOKS LIKE COOPER AD ALUMINUM WILL be first up. forget about shine that will be dull finished tumbled to take the sharp edges off the parts, and much cheaper that Bead blasting for me to do. The tumbling doesnt seem to harm the self centering mechanism of the o_sink and has the desired effect. These have in the past looked great!! SWIRLS AND ALL. Back to basics and away from swirls (exceot for a few for me)
Need more info? have suggestions? Pm me off line please. and do it quick because work is about to start.
Yaeasumofo

rscanady

Enlightened
I apologize for my mistake, I want to make sure credit is got where credit is due. Thanks again Yaesumofo. The copper versions sound nice.

Ryan