Arc AAA Premium vs. Fenix L0P

liquidsix

Enlightened
Does anyone know how the arc AAA-P stacks up against the Fenix L0P? I've read some other threads where people seem to love their Fenix L1P over their arc, but that's a AA flashlight, and a bit too clunky for keychains IMO. All I know so far is that the runtime on the Fenix L0P doesn't hold a candle to the Arc's 10 hour run time, and that the Fenix's max output is 30 lumens, and Arc-P's min ouput is 5.5 lumens. That doesn't really tell me much considering Arc-P's moon mode. Does anyone know it's max lumens? I think that might give me a better idea of what to go for.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Okay, I'm replying to my own post here. Here's another question about the output of the Arc-P: Where the webiste says "minimum output", does that mean the worst Arc-P's are rated at a 5.5 lumen output on a fresh cell? Or is it what I originally thought, where they are rated at 5.5 lumens in moon mode?

paulr

Flashaholic
The L0p is considerably larger than an Arc AAA, has much less runtime, has slightly inferior (but not terrible) build quality if the L1p is representative, but is quite a bit brighter than the Arc, should have much more neutral color, and should have a nicer beam because of the reflector. Yes, 5.5 lumen minimum means an AAA premium v4 has guaranteed 5.5 lumens or better output on a fresh battery, probably more like 7 lumens. L0p output should be in the 16 lumen range, again based on L1p measurements. (Fenix, like some other manufacturers but unlike Arc and Surefire, does its lumen specs at the LED die rather than measuring what actually comes out of the flashlight after all internal losses).

My feeling is the lights serve distinct purposes. The Arc AAA is a long-running EDC bright enough for most close range uses and which carries ok on a keychain. The Fenix L1p is a pocket light that's quite powerful for its size (by mass market standards) and which can illuminate over fairly long distances and which works well on the ubiqitous and powerful AA NiMH cells. The L0p is a cross between the two, combining both the advantages and the disadvantages of both. I'm fond of my L1p and my two Arc AAA's but I don't plan to order an L0p right away. I think the L0p is a little too large and too special-purpose to carry on a keychain, and if I'm going to drop a light in my pocket, I don't mind the L1p's size.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
liquid,
It is hard to make a comparison because the L0P has not shipped but ships on Monday the 15th. There is enough information out there to make a guess that should be close.
The rated runtime of the L0P is 1.6 hours with 1 hour at peak brightness. Lets assume that peak brightness is 1 hour until 50% is reach with the remaining 40 minutes running very dim. The Arc AAA will run at least 5 hours to 50% and many hours in moon mode so the L0P draws 5 times the power. Looking at the 5.5 lumen rating for the AAA-P and 30 lumens for the L0P, it would make sense. Fenix tends to be rather...ummm, optomistic with their L1P lumen ratings so I would say the L0P does not put out 30 lumens.
Comparing the "HA-III" of the L0P to the HA-III of the Arc AAA-P is very easy, the L0P and L1P use the same stuff and is meerly a shadow of the awesome Arc HA-III anodizing. No comparison there! The Arc is also smaller in length and diameter.
I have a Fenix L1P and an Arc AA and they are two different lights although they run on the same battery. The runtime of the Arc AA makes it the emergency light of choice, bright enough to see and runtime of 12+ hours. The L1P is a different animal all together, more of a decently bright Luxeon light that runs on a single AA cell. Think of an old school Arc LS with the rare single AA tail, smaller head, weak HA-III, a clickie and poor regulation.
Two different classes of lights makes comparisons difficult. Now the Fenix L0P will be going against the Peak Ocean AAA in a few weeks, that comparison is more accurate as they have a Luxeon in common.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, let me say that I'm biased against Arc for alot of reasons, chief among them is that I believe the Arc is, at this time, way overpriced but before considering this a complete arc slam I'd like to say that I think that the arc will be a better light to have on a keychain. I Think that for general edc use the longer output but lower output of the arc will result in a tool that provides the amount of light needed when needed for as long as it's needed. If you want a light to make nerdy technophiles go " oooohhhh, that's bright and tiny and I want one" go for the fenix but I'm pretty certain that relying on the fenix will also be accompanied by more moments of dissapointment at not having light.

Granted, I'm only talking about the new Nichia CS model, I don't think the older units put out enough light and if I could get a nichia CS based AAA light from somewhere else , I would.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some valid points have been made here, but I wonder where people are getting the idea that the L0P will be so much larger than the Arc. Here the measurements from on the manufacturers sites: Length- Arc 2.7", L0P 2.87"; Diameter- Arc .5", L0P .55". I realize that for a keychain such differences may be noticable, but the L0p is still far smaller than a Dorcy and likely the Peak offering.

On another note, what I really think would make the L0P shine is a well-implemented 2 stage switch. The superior beam quality/tint of the luxeon on low would make a great light that could be used for either reading or for mid-distance on high. If an underdriven luxeon could get comprable lumen/watts as the Nichia CS, even a single stage underdriven version would be desireable.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will get a lot of different opinions to your question but I also generally agree with what has already been stated regarding preferring run time with a keychain light. The older Arc were great but I had to carry a turquoise model because I wasn't very comfortable with the light output of the old AAA-p. With the new Arc that is a none issue because the light produces more then enough light for what you would normally use a keychain light for. That being the case then what is left to be considered?

For me the main considerations are runtime, size, cosmetics, warranty, price, quality of manufacturing and quality of the beam.

I personally put runtime at the top of the list because you never know what type of situation you might find yourself in and I view a keychain light as an emergency light as well as having a light handy when I need it. Arc wins this hands down.

Second for me is size because I hate walking around with something that is to large in my pocket and I do carry around a lot of keys.

Third is quality of manufacturing because I'm tough on products and I want something that will last, look good but most importantly be reliable. I'm not sure what to expect form the Fenix L0P in this area yet.

Forth is beam quality, for me anyway the Arc is fine and I don't have a problem with the slight blue tint. If I were painting pictures and absolute color identification was a major issue then I would move this up in importance but I don't. I also like having a flood beam on a keychain light because it gives you better situational awareness.

Fifth on my list is price, both lights are reasonably price so it's a none issue.

Sixth is cosmetics and I prefer the Arc but overall not a big factor when comparing the two.

Seventh would be warranty and I would lean more towards Arc but I'm not sure what the long term plans for warranting the Fenix L0P are.

With all that being said I will probable buy a Fenix L0P or a Peak after seeing some reviews because I like lights but long term I don't see it replacing my AAA on my keychain and if I could only have one then it would be a Arc.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see short runtime being an issue in the "survival" situation.

I assume the run-time plot will mimic the L1P, so you are going to have a lonngggg "tail", at a brightness level at least equal to an Arc.

And until then, you have BRIGHT !

I certainly don't have a run-time problem with my L1P, although run on a lithium. I still am amazed at this light. Can't wait to get the L0P, and maybe even the Peak Ocean.

AAA batteries are cheap, even lithiums used with a $ 50 light doesn't seem to me to be excessive spending.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will all find out by the end of the week as the L0P starts to ship. As JohnK states, the L0P will have a looooong tail of output. I ran a 2300mAH NiMH in my L1P and after 9 hours it was still producing usable light.

The light I am looking at is the Peak Ocean AAA, it will be smaller in diameter than the L0P but the head will be slightly larger. It will be slightly longer but shorter than my Matterhorn 3 Snow29 with removable tailring. 90 minutes to 50% with the Ocean and by looking at the chart...a looooong tail that will kindly remind you to change the battery. 90 minutes is the minimum that I consider for any type of EDC light so the L0P is not in my plans. My plan is to use it with a NiMH AAA cell for more stable (flatter) output and recharge it every month. NiMH cells are cheaper than lithium AAA cells so it is a no-brainer. The thing I have noticed when using NiMH cells, I use the flashlight much more often and for longer periods of time. Better make the battery swap every week or two when I charge my other lights batteries. Now to read some reviews on the Eneloop AAA so I can have the self-discharge goodness of an alkaline but the current and stable voltage output of NiMH. The Sanyo Eneloop when coupled with the new AAA Luxeon lights should be a marriage made in heaven for keychain EDC.

paulr

Flashaholic
Another L0p issue is the lanyard hole is like the L1p's or Arc AA's, stand up tail, but lopsided if you hang it on your key ring with a split ring or mini-clip. I dunno if this will matter in practice.

Someone on the L0p thread photoshopped a pic of an L0p next to an Arc AAA, supposedly to scale, and the size difference was really noticible.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another consideration is aethestics. For some reason, Arcs seem to activate some neurons in the pleasure center of my brain. Its caused me to buy way too many of them (including another litfuse-modded LS yesterday).

I've ordered a L0P, but will be sticking with the Arc v4AAA on my keychain. Plenty of light, lots of runtime, built like a tank. And that neuron thing.

best regards

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brighter would be the fenix and most likely to have a bigger wow factor. The shorter runtime might not be such a big issue since it uses common AAA cell.
However, I ll give two thumbs up for ARC help service and not quite sure if Fenix could top that.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
To me part of the beauty of my old Arc AAA is that it "disappears" in my front pocket. I really can't feel it there. If the Fenix or the Ocean are much larger or heavier I'm afraid I'll notice it like my brass Matterhorn. I consider all to be too large for the keychain, for me, since that goes in my back pocket and gets sat upon. This will not likely stop me from buying one, though.

Geoff

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, My opinions are almost identical to Lebkuecher, post #7. I also
think Arc aaa is overpriced but it's endearing or.. to me. I have an older non
premiem one (hope to update led to cs soon). Have LIP for 2 weeks now and
love it also. Has 2 level switch. I really prefeer 2 or more levels on most lights;
also really like lithiums and nimh's. Arc aaa is pretty much largest fl. I would
carry on my key ring. Usually carry Photon Freedom on them.

I like lights with a long run time or moon mode, because you never know when
you might be stuck in a serious situation, maybe away from home, for hours or days and really need a light. I always take 2 or more fl. on a trip. One reason I like 2+ levels is, most of time I use low level/s, but sometimes need
level for distance or clarity or maybe partial self defence (mostly animals, I
love to backpack/camp).

Although a flashaholic I value fls. as tools. Different tools for diff. jobs. If you
have 1 or 2 small to very small lights you're not carring much weight or size
and can still carry 1 or 2 larger fls. also. I think a light with a bright over-
drive , or burst, level for a short limited time can be very useful. Usually don't
talk/write much, so thanks for letting me share my opinions. Gordon

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0P is NOT considerably bigger than an Arc AAA.
Here's proof :)

52632445-M.jpg
52630743-M.jpg
52632401-M.jpg

Here are the rest of the nice macro shots of the L0P HERE

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
Another consideration is aethestics. For some reason, Arcs seem to activate some neurons in the pleasure center of my brain.

Ditto. There's something about the Arc designs that make me drool. Same goes for the Night-Ops and Mags, but that's OT.

Anyway, I think you're trying to compare two different lights. As others have pointed out, the intended purpose of the Arc is different from the L0P (aside from being "keychain lights"). Consider which one would serve your purpose better, and get that one. Me? I'll stick with my ArcAAA, thank-you-very-much (since I already EDC a separate Lux-based light)!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is the anticipated "Ocean" brighter than the LoP Fenix? I would say it is. yet what good is all that power if it always on the horizon? I have been waiting, for several reasons ,on my LoP Purchase, now that I have found an extra clip waiting for the "Ocean" is starting to make no sense. looks like I'm going to get another Fenix. I have yet to own a PEAK, I would like to step up to the plate with the "Ocean" but when? when?? when??? when???? when??????:awman:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens: I take it your Arc is not a Rev4 Premium? I'd like to see how it compares to the new Rev4. I upgraded my Arc to the same LED as the new premium (Nichia CS).

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m with IsaacHayes on the comparison with a ARC Rev4 Premium. The older ARC is too much dimmer to even make it fair to compare.

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
4sevens said:
The L0P is NOT considerably bigger than an Arc AAA.
Here's proof :)

52632445-M.jpg
52630743-M.jpg
52632401-M.jpg

Here are the rest of the nice macro shots of the L0P HERE

Comparing a Nichia to a Luxeon clone...used car salesmen tactics.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081698/

Why compare the junk to a product that ARC no longer manufactures? The only reason can be to over-hype the junk.

Why not just compare the junk to an ARC WAX CANDLE? I am sure the hype would meet expectations then.

The seller of junk starting a thread under the Reviews forum...writes his own review...? I think this is called, "Conflict of interest." Not to mention - clinical over-hyping of an inferior...light.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is...a used car salesman!

I hope all the neewbs can gain the gift of sight...once the problems start compounding. Your HA(is it even?) is flaking off - what's the customer service like from halfway around the globe?

Junkix light? I do not own one. I do not buy cheap junky lights.

IMHO, you get what you pay for. Pay for quality, get quality. Pay for crap...you get Junkix!

Thanks Peter, for designing a light that we can be proud of showing to others...without embarassment.

Fin