Longbow Micra Problem

blike

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I've got 2 Longbow Micra's,
one I use for work and the other one for around the house.
They both got the same problem, sometimes they just won't turn on.
I tried with all sorts of batteries, used and new. I'm sure that it's not the switch, cause they work on both perfectly. It's the unit where the luxeon led is built into. One has it all the time, it works fine and when I turn it off and then on again it doesn't do anything. But if I wait 4 seconds it works again. The other one had the same problem but on rare occasion. Sometimes they won't work on the first time. What should I do. Has anybody experienced similar defects? I don't abuse them in anyway, they don't get submerged or hit by trucks.

Tnx

Blike

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I own a light that flickers once, and then turns on 4 SECONDS later, if that is what your problem is. If I were you, i would get a key or something metal, and attach it to the back of the batt and onto the battery tube's rim. If it works fine, then it is the switch.

-David

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, that is the switch. You can pop it out and have a look at it. It is probably the small spring on the side of the switch that contacts the metal adjustment ring. The spring bows out towards the ring and makes contact with the treads.

blike

Newly Enlightened
tnx for the replys, but I allready tested the switches with my multi-meter on both and they work flawless all te time. At first I checked the spring in the switch and you can clearly see that the side and inner spring contact the metal push thingy. So no harm there
And I allready tried the key thing you said, but then with some electrical wire and it does the same as when I try to switch it on with the tailcap switch. Sometimes fine, mostly not.
So my only guess is that it is the part that has the led molded in it; but I think it's odd that both my micra's have the problem and I can't find anybody else with the same defects.

regards

blike

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there is only one logical explanation... change your batts. Or use a different brand.

-David

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was thinking maybe it is the connection between the light module and the light's body.
you can maybe get some nyogel and put them on the threads then try again.

H_Alpha

Newly Enlightened
There was a reported problem with the Micra's not turning back on after the battery was run down enough that they went out of regulation (about 70 minutes - ymmv).

Mine (I have 4 with a total of 5 light modules, including 2 red) do something similar to what you report when using batteries that are almost depleted. I.e., once shut off they will not start back up until waiting approximately 4-5 secs.

If yours are having the same problem -- even with new batteries -- I would guess that there is too much resistance somewhere along the way. After cleaning everything, make sure the light module is screwed in tightly.

Seems strange that two of them would have an issue, unless maybe you got hold of a bad batch of batteries?

If cleaning and fresh batteries don't help, there is always the warranty.

Good luck!

a99raptors

Enlightened
Definitely a problem with depleted batteries. My micra is the same way. Somehow, there is a pause to sort of recharge near dead batteries I think. I use the old batteries from incandescent lamps to power my Micra, and if I use fresh batteries, the problem doesn't arise for quite some time.

blike

Newly Enlightened
So I must have had a bad deal on my batteries.
I'll buy from another shop. But I kinda like my Fenix L1P more then my micra's.

Tnx guys!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Micra on depleted batteries will not even turn on.

I found that it also flicker sometimes. What I did to fix it was to take out the spring in the tailcap (twisty) and stretch it out and put it back in.

The Micra only uses 1 battery so I use new ones almost all the time once it runs out.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Something to check but on my Micra the LED module had loosened up and was not making reliable connection to the body. After disassembly and tightening it's working like a champ again.

Eric

Skyline

Enlightened
Eric_M said:
Something to check but on my Micra the LED module had loosened up and was not making reliable connection to the body. After disassembly and tightening it's working like a champ again.

Eric

This is true, and has happened with both my Micras. Try shaking the light after you've removed the battery and the switch. Both times I could hear a slight rattle. Removed the head, tightened down the LED module, and it was perfect again.