Surefire L1 Rechargeable?

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my E1L body with KL1 head and KL4 succesfully as rechargeables using Batterystations 123 Li-Ion rechargeables. Does anyone know if these same cells will fit in and work with the Surefire L1?

Thanks

Paul

:shrug:

LightBen

Newly Enlightened
I have spent some time searching for the answer to this very question myself, using both the CPF search function and Google. So far, I have not been able to determine whether the regulation circuit in the L1 can handle ~4.2V. If anyone has the answer, I would sure like to know it too...

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing besides the regulation is to get the RCR123 cell to fit into the L1, L2, or A2.

These 3 lights from Surefire seem to have a tighter inner body diameter to prevent RCR123's from fitting into it.

CPF member AW has 14670's Li-Ion batteries that fit the L2 but thats in in discussion here, the L1 is.

So to solve the problem of making a cll fit, someone has to know what depth and how much to bore out of the L1 to let a RCR123 slide in there.

All thats left is finding out if the L1 can take the voltage.

mohr

Newly Enlightened
hi,

i have protected jsb R123a cells and they fit and work great in my L1 (and A2)
its the new L1 with the lux III emitter.
on low the L1 is brighter than with cr123a (i think it`s because low is not regulated)

christian

cy

Flashaholic
just sold my L1, but ran a bare R123 with out any problems. low beam is slightly brighter

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I have an early (2002) SF L1 and was told by Lighthound that R123s were a no-go. Very timely this thread should pop up as I rediscovered my L1 in a drawer and always wondered the answer to the rechargeable question. In the name of science I tried it, and noticed considerably more brightness on low than before, confirming what others have noted about it not being regulated. The high level is regulated, I measured a slight lux rise and gradual fall switching over to R123. The cells fit no problem. The real unanswered question is the nature of the converter's design: does it have the ability to buck a bit of voltage from a fresh LiIon without hurting anything? So far it seems like the answer is yes, it is tolerating the higher voltage cell. At least no sign of catastrophic failure. ;)

ET

Newly Enlightened
I have a black and gold R123 cell by MP. And it also produces a high-pitched buzzing noise. Didn't sound right and I got worried so I stopped using that setup and went back to regular 123's.

cy

Flashaholic
called surefire about buzzing noise. they stated it was completely normal and would not harm anything.

my old L1 only buzzed on low, then went away.

I always used bare R123 li-ion in my L1 with no problems. protected is better, but sometime the larger diameter and longer length prevents use.