snow29 LEDs in Surefire A2?

testmonket

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Surefire A2 - great light. However the stock LEDs are just awful. Not sure if mine is unusually bad, or if I've just been spoiled by the newer LED technology, but ack..

I'm considering replacing the LEDs with some of the Snow29 LEDs from the group buy. However after doing some research I have some concerns.

1. Supposedly the Snow29's are a little larger than others. It's already a tight fit getting those LEDs into the A2's reflector.

2. Drive levels. From this thread (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95230) it appears that the stock A2 LEDs are driven at about 50ma with fresh CR123s. The limited information Peak distributes specified 20ma nominal/30ma max. I'm no EE type.. can someone give me any indication how much of a problem, if any, overdriving these LEDs at 50ma might be?

thanks...

Grubbster

Enlightened
I too was wanting to modify my A2 with a new set of LEDs. I took everything apart and checked the fit of several different LEDs by droping them into the holes in the reflector. The snow would fit, but they were tight so I decided to pass on them. I also tried some 35k but they were definitely too big to fit. I settled on the Nichia CO bin. They fit perfectly and the yellow color works perfectly with the incandescent bulb. The color does not make it look as bad as the contrast of a blue LED.