Couple o' LED mods!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
mag2deg2.jpg

anglehead2.jpg

Mag(2deg optic) : Bought the Carclo 2 degree optics to try but found it wasn't a drop-in mod (should have read up more about it :D) and tried to sell it but no takers so I decided to put my pathetic DIY skills to use.

Made a replica "DB-3W" lux module; lux module mounted on a bunch of filed coins stacked together (to raise the height) and connected with thin thermal adhesive. Then the stack was joined to the Mag bulb holder with more adhesive and finally all wrapped up with aluminium tape.

Beam quality and throw is average to me, others say it is super impressive and stuff but I don't see it. A stock mag reflector Lux mod has a much tighter throw. Although I could try swapping in a H or J bin for more overdrive and brightness since the L bin is barely running at spec (setup measured at 3.5v under load, 550 ma current).

Tried 4 x c-cells alkalines, got a minimal increase to 650 ma and not much noticeable brightness.

Then tried 4 x Powerizer C 5000 mah batts and got like 1.5 amps! But something weird happens here.. The output when first switched on is noticeably brighter, then it starts falling drastically to like 30%. Dunno what went on. When I hook it up to the multimeter, the current is quite constant at 1.5. Doesn't seem to be dropping to me... :shrug:

Anglehead TY0K : Just a star stuffed into a 2AA anglehead. The star is mounted on a stack of about 7-8 coins to take away some heat. Heat transfer to the plastic body is of course poor.

My first anglehead mod burnt out (no heatsink save for the star). The lux dome eventually fell off :p. This one runs for 10 mins and measures 61 deg celsius at the star. The old one went past 70 deg celsius (my thermometer maxes out at 70) in 5 mins at the star.

It's powered by 1 x 17670 with a spacer. Nice output (around 50 lumens by my lightbox when batt is fresh and levels off at about 35 lumens).

Just sharing... pardon the poor workmanship! :D

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Arkayne :)

It's pretty makeshift but bottomline is it works.. I don't have the resources to fashion metal into any shape I want (like heatsinks) and it's not like you can pick up heatsinks (esp. round ones that fit into flashlights) in your neighbourhood DIY store. So coins will have to do for now :D