3D/4C - or - Luxeon 1??

3DMagMod

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone compared these two 3D Maglite mods?

simple 3D -> 4C w/ XPR103

3D w/ Craftsman AAA Luxeon 1 emitter

Someone in the latter thread guessed that the 4C would be too hot for the Luxeon 1, so it seems to be one or the other.

Is the Luxeon better suited to a 2D -> 3C or is that even possible?

So.. which one? Can you compare the throw and runtime specifically?

:thanks:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done both of them... For runtime, there's absolutely NO comparison. The Craftsman Lux I bulb on 3 D cells will give 15-20 hours of very good brightness... like to maybe 50% brightness while the KPR103 bulb on 4 C cells will give maybe one hour... Actually, probably less than that to a measured 50% brightness level but an hour later, it will still be very usable and bright. Also, I wouldn't count on bulb life being much longer than two or three hours.

This is with a krypton bulb rather than a Xenon. Every time I've tried a 3 cell Mag or Radio Shack Xenon bulb on 4 fresh C or D cells, it flashed.

For overall brightness, the 3 cell Krypton bulb on 4 cells will absolutely be WAY brighter. It will be between the P60 and P61 lamps and probably closer to the P61.

For throw... it's hard to tell without measuring Lux because the incandescent is putting out so much total light, it kind of skews your perception. I'd have to assume throw is better with the incandescent as well.

The other issue is price... You can do the KPR mod for about $4 while the Craftsman light with the Lux bulb is back to $20, I believe.

Having said that, I think the Craftsman Lux bulb is a better all around mod. Other than color rendering and total output, I'd rather have the Craftsman bulb-modded Mag ANY day than the KPR mod. WAY better runtime and you're extremely unlikely to ever flash the Lux bulb and I almost assure you you'll kill the KPR bulb in the first four hours of playing with it.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D mag with the radio shack XPR103 bulb... use it often, works wonderful and brighter than stock on 4 C Nimh cells. The Nimh cells have a 1.2 ( usually 1.3 hot off charge ) but are more forgiving to the bulb than regular alkaline 1.5v cells. Thats why your flashing the bulb...your voltage is too high with alkalines. Hope that clears up the MOD's specifics.... cheers!

3DMagMod

Newly Enlightened
I plan to use alkalines in whatever I do (will often be unable to charge for maybe weeks at a time and need to just replace). So I should probably stick with the Luxeon 1 mod, huh? Thanks.

How bout a Diamond 3W? How much brighter and how much less runtime?

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened
I've been wondering about the Diamond myself. I can't see spending the money on the Craftsman job when I look at something like the diamond. Then again, I haven't experienced it either.

I did do the Radio Shack mod a couple weeks ago, and it turned out good. I bought brand new C cells (no telling how long they were on the shelf before I bought them) and no flash. Just this weekend, I sputtered a reflector and got rid of the contact paper.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, looking at quickbeam's review of the Diamond Lux I vs Lux III, I don't understand how the Lux III can be twice as bright AND run for almost the same amount of time. Granted, the Lux III was tested in a 3D and the Lux I was run in a 2D, but it still seems like there should be more of a difference.

I don't know what to offer as advice. I can say that I've built Lux I and Lux III Magmods and I've tried EverLEDs and the Craftsman bulbs in various Mags as well as having two of the new style Dorcy 3D Super 1Ws and an LEDBeam 3C light. Any of them are a major improvement over an incandescent 1, 2, 3 or 4 cell light in terms of runtime, flat brightness and beam quality.

Personally, the high dome EverLEDs are nice becase they allow you a lot of flexability in terms of battery requirements. The Lux III and Craftsman bulbs both are intended to be used with 3 cells and the Diamond Lux I does well with only 2 cells. Cost issues aside, I'd personally let the intended cell configuration be my guide.

Yooper

Enlightened
LEDBeam is a viable option. $25 or so and you have a lighter, brighter light that still runs on 3 cells. Drop an XPR103 into your Mag and set it aside as a backup.

Latest posts