My modifed MiniMag reflector broke

Craig720

Enlightened
I'm not sure where to post this, so I put it here.

I modified my beloved but disused AA MiniMag using what I THINK was the drop-in kit "TerraLUX MiniStar Luxeon LED Kit For Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlights - White Light" (http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=674&link_str=178&partno=TLE5).

It worked wonderfully as a light with which to walk the dog until a few days ago, when the beam went all wonky. When I got back inside and looked at it, I found the reflector to be loose. It was just knocking about.

Nothing was holding it in place. Upon taking things apart, I found a tiny bottom piece of the reflector, a very small circular piece of plastic, had broken off, thereby liberating the entire reflector.

If I were to buy the TLE5 MiniStar Replacement Reflector (http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1325&link_str=178&partno=TLE5-R), do you think that would fix it (even if I got the name of the LED upgrade kit wrong), or should I switch to another drop-in LED conversion kit?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't currently own a TLE-5, but I have owned three of them. I was under the impression that you could just drill out the hole in a stock Mag reflector and maybe sand down the fins and it would work fine... But again, I don't have one in front of me to compare.

Having said that, if it was one of the old TLE-5s and you liked it, get a new one with the guaranteed R-bin. It will absolutely blow the older ones away! No comparison. I got mine from LED-replacement.com and received it quickly.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Craig,

You might want to consider one of these things. :) (Wow, Oct 2K!- you've been here over 2 years longer than me.)

Larry

Ledean

Enlightened
I can spare you a stock minimag reflector . If you are interested PM me your adress.
You can easily file it down to take the Terralux.
Ledean

greenLED

Flashaholic
AuroraLite's Dummy Guide to minimag modding has a section on how to modify the stock reflector to fit a lux; might be useful.

Craig720

Enlightened
Ledean said:
I can spare you a stock minimag reflector . If you are interested PM me your adress.
You can easily file it down to take the Terralux.
Ledean

I thank you for your very kind offer. I am interested, but I don't know the first thing about filing reflectors. I'm admitting my ignorance here. I'd hate to mangle one with a bumbling attempt at modifying it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically, you need to open up the hole where the bulb/LED sticks through. It comes about 3mm and you need to to be about 5mm. You can very carefully use a drill or you can use a slower combination of a knife and a file or knife sharpener. I've used drills in the past, by since I just have a hand drill, the holes were always slightly lopsided. Using a small knife blade and a conical diamond knife sharpener, taking just a few minutes, you can get a PERFECT larger opening.