Photo Editing Software? (PS CS2, PS Elements, Gimp...)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got several different wares that I use to edit pics with. Some do things that others do not and sometimes I find myself using a couple different ones to render the results I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of adding Adobe Photoshop Elements to my toolbox - any thoughts, experience, guidance, suggestions, directions to "best price"?

:thanks:

Last edited:

daBear

Enlightened
Re: Photo Editing Software?

I have used the full blown Adobe Photoshop for a number of years. The learning curve is a little steep at first, but this is the gold standard of photo editing software. Highly recommended.

Arkayne

Enlightened

I'm strickly a Photoshop person. Like dabear says, the learning curve is steep but you'll be a pro in no time.

As for price, do you know somebody that works for a local university? Even a family with a student? The student prices for Photoshop are unreal so see if you can find someone to take advantage of the educational version.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

Photoshop Elements is a good choice. It can be had for around $80 and unless you are editing photos professionally it will do everything you want.

Eric_M

Enlightened

I'll second this recommendation.

Eric

daBear said:
I have used the full blown Adobe Photoshop for a number of years. The learning curve is a little steep at first, but this is the gold standard of photo editing software. Highly recommended.

carrot

Flashaholic

I like the GIMP. http://gimp.org/windows
If you want to be more like Photoshop, there is a modified GIMP called GIMPshop. http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241

They're free (open source), but by no means bad. There was a time when I'd choose GIMP over Photoshop anyday -- but on my Mac, Photoshop is more tightly integrated. It doesn't specifically state it has .psd support, but it should be able to open and save most .psd files without a hitch.

onthebeam

Enlightened

Do you mean for toning/image manipulation or editing itself? For toning, Photoshop is the way to go and Elements does give you 85% of the functionality, so it's a good choice for all but pros. For editing, I'd suggest Photo Mechanic by a company named Camera Bits.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do all of my photo editing with the GIMP. I've used it on my FBSD boxes for five years.

Mrs.Umbra uses the GIMP on two win boxes: Win2000 and XP.

It currently lacks CMYK but there is a plugin for it.

mugs

Newly Enlightened

I'm not a fan of the Gimp's user interface. Paint.NET is my favorite free image editor.

morituri

Newly Enlightened

I just downloaded Paint.NET last night, and it took my just a couple of minutes to edit an image and get the finished image up on my blog. It's limited, but easy to use.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

No experience with Photo$hop but I'm a PaintShopPro user for years. Recently upgraded to PSP9 for $50. It does everything that I need and the tools are laid out in a way that I'm used to and comfortable with.

FWIW, I have a good friend who's a photographer who likes PhotoShop Elements a lot.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Indeed thank you to all who have responded so far. I'm taking it all in...

I downloaded Gimpshop and it tried to install some bacground keylogger (according to Zone Alarm)...I selected "deny" to that option and continued to load it. Certainly a learning curve with it, even with their attempt to hack a Photoshop interface to it. I deleted it, but the jury is still out on the final decision with it.

Best Buy's current sale has Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 packaged with Adobe Premiere elements 2.0 (their video editing/compilation suite) for $149 - $50 = $99 - a $30 rebate for a total of $69! I did pick that up, but haven't opened the package yet. Pretty good price, I think...

Still researching/deciding...

carrot

Flashaholic

Try GIMP. GIMP should not have any trashy malware. I personally haven't tried GIMPshop, but I've used GIMP, which I know to be a safe product. GIMPshop is just a mod to make GIMP look and feel more like Photoshop anyway.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Sig, I've used "Elements" for the last 3 years, and its very capable. I lost an earlier rev do to a reformat and purchased the latest. For me it is steep on the learning curve, but I rarely use more than brightness/contrast.

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*

it would stink to edit photos in dasys before photo editing software and digitlal camera or scaners imagine

paulr

Flashaholic

I've been using regular gimp. There's a lot of fancy stuff in it that I don't understand but I only do basic edits. I presume photoshop would be the same way, so it evens out.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paint Shop Pro is my primary tool. (I'd use Photoshop if it didn't cost 9X what PSP costs retail.)

I have Elements, but don't like it at all. There are a couple things in Elements that are easier than doing the same task with PSP (curved text, for example).....

But Elements is more of a hassle to use for my 'workflow'.... I'd use Gimp for my primary tool if I didn't have PSP.

Been a while since I used gimp, but before, it seemed pretty much like a clone of PSP.... But 2-3 generations behind.