Any interest in more A2/L1/L2 Switch guard rings?

Which material would you want? (can vote for more than one)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I made an aluminum switch guard the for my A2 last night and liked the way it came out so I'm planning on trying it in two other materials and wondered if I should make extras for sale here?

I don't have anyway of anodizing (anyone have a link to "home cooking?"), so I'm going to try brass and high temperature Nylatron (has a slight carbon fiber "camouflage" look) to see which I like best.

mahoney sent me his specs from his Delrin run, but I didn't have them at work so I winged it. It came out looking the same though as the ones found at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82851

This post is just to see if there is enough interest to make extras, because if I do I'll buy the tap/die instead of cutting threads for everyone.

I hope to post samples of each in a few days.

Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Final product pics...
Click on my sigline to go to online store

(Updated 05/28/06: making in Delrin only now and with the lowest profile I can that still allows the light to tail stand. QC is very good now that I've made a few. )

131.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

Delrin (black)

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I should have listed it as "High temp Nylatron" in the poll, but I can not edit the poll after it's posted. Sorry!

It looks like a "camo" carbon fiber pattern to me.

InFlux

Enlightened
I was looking for one or two of these. I'd probably go for the the Nitrolon (my vote).

oregonshooter

Enlightened
IonFire,
I don't know if they fit any others, I don't think so. McGizmo has very nice replacement tail-caps for the E's. This is HIS design according to mahoney.

Below are pics of my prototype that I have on my light made of aluminum. When I get a tap and die (none available locally, gotta mail order) I will build a "finishing jig" so I can polish the inner bevel better. Without a jig to screw the cap into after I cut it from the bar stock, I have to grab the knurls which flattens them a tiny bit. You only notice if you look very close, but I won't let any go like that.

The specs I'm using are in the last pic.

I should note that I'm a hobby machinist (Electrician by trade), so while I try to be exact, the product may be a few thousands out.

I will test them all on my A2 though before shipping.

The Nylatron, tap, and die should be here in a week tops. I'll post samples of the finished product in another post in the for sale area and link to it from here when I have a few made.

Thanks for the interest.

EDIT: Pics removed... see first post for current images...

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
oregonshooter,

Looks like you did pretty well at your first attempt, looks great! :)
Are you happy with the design, any improvements?

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Thanks leukos,
It's KISS and I like that. I can't think of anything more that's needed. Did you have a suggestion?

leukos said:
oregonshooter,

Looks like you did pretty well at your first attempt, looks great! :)
Are you happy with the design, any improvements?

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like two high temperature Nylatron switch guards rings please.

Let me know when and were to PP you.

Doug

oregonshooter

Enlightened
Dan_GSR said:
nice piece
does it make pushing the button any more difficult?

No. Access is more limited and you need to push more inline with the button because you can't put pressure from the side anymore, but that's the purpose of it. :)

The hole is plenty generous and does not drag the switch boot. I carried mine last night with gloves on and had no issues working it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
litho ... thanx for this kind offer, much appreciated, but you are lucky as another member will do this work and buy one for me. Thanx again!
bernie

mahoney

Enlightened
The Z57 tailcaps have a rubber boot retaining ring somewhat similar to that on the A2/L1/L2 tailcap but it's a different diameter and thread. These won't work on the Z57.