What predated the Mag for a cop light?

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
What flashlights predated the Mag for the general light of choice for police officers? I understand that SF and others are getting popular now, but for a very long time Mag was the choice, and I'd be willing to venture that a lot of officers still use them.

Also, can any of you remember the names of any discontinued brands that were in competition with Mag back in the earlier times, say the 80's?

Thanks!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here, in the early 70's anyway, cheap silver "corragated" lights from two to four cells.
EDIT: From the other pictures, it looks like the Everready was most common.
Another good thing was that if you lost it you didn't care.
END EDIT
The one good thing about them was that if you hit somebody with them they wrapped around the head and broke rather than killing the guy.

Of course even then I carried a rechargable Farallon dive light which looked like a regular flashlight except for the large head. It was a bit brighter than what others carried.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was issued a 3 D cell Kel-Light as a new police officer in 1983. I suspect that before that the Everready Captain may have been popular.

juancho

Enlightened
Kel-Lite, here is a 2C and 3 C

kellites2-3c.jpg

Contemporaneus with the Maglite was the Brinkmann 2-3-5

S5300069.jpg

And Prevoius was the Evereday Captain and the RayOvac Sportsmen

S5300097.jpg

black bear

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
4D Kel-Lite in my cadet days. 10 years later I got issued a 3D Mag-Lite, but I purchased my own SL-20 by then.

EDIT: Those Eveready lights look like something carried by Toody and Muldoon.

Last edited:

metalhed

Enlightened
The smaller of the Eveready's looks very familiar. I think my dad (who was a police volunteer in the 60's) had one.

In fact, I have a funny story about that flashlight

In 1970, I worked for a minor league baseball team, an affiliate of the San Diego Padres. Largest crowd of the season, about 2500 people, and the power goes out to the entire ballpark. I lived next door to the park, so I ran home to get that exact type of Eveready, and ended up providing the only light so that the umpires and officials had.

I'll never forget banging the end of the light to keep it shining, while holding it over the shoulder of Peter Bavasi, then a player personnel guy for the Padres. Game got called...duh...and the flashlight went back home.

At age 13, my shining baseball moment...:crackup:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, finally a CPF question I can answer. Sit down and grab a drink. Stock (Everready, Ray-o-Vac, etc) flashlights were all that was used until the very late '60s, and were still in wide use through the '70s.

Deputy Don Keller designed the Kel-Lite around 1968. His models were basically common flashlight components (but with an improved bulb holder) in a heavy aluminum housing. He left the company in 1972-73. Around '76 a new external switch was introduced. Different sizes and styles of lights were made throughout. The company went under in 1983.

klc.jpg

kld.jpg

After Don left Kel-Lite he designed the B-Lite for Bianchi in the mid '70s. Better made then the Kel-Lites but weak switch electrics. The design was changed in 1984 but then they stopped production.

bl.jpg

He also did the Pro-Light for another company. Similar to B-Lites, but they could be had in all-plastic or part-plastic versions. Could be converted to rechargables with a special sleeve. Lasted into the early '80s.

pl.jpg

Cut to Streamlight. They were making their first rechargable lights around 1975 or so. They bought what was left of Kel-Lite in '83/84 and produced a line of C/D lights using the name. They were later sold as Excalibers until a lawsuit from Mag put a stop to that line around 1990.

sl.jpg

Back to Mag, they came out with their first light in 1979. It's basically the same thing they sell today. It was an instant hit, partly due to the better switch (compared to everything that came before) and the focusing mechanism (which is of debatable utility), and partly due to Maglica's high-speed manufacturing. Better lights for less money. The Mini-Mag and Magcharger were introduced in the mid '80s. Also in the mid '80s they made the Vari-Beam, a model sold to car mechanics.

ml.jpg

Along with all the big brands, in the '70s and '80s there were the Code-4 and Smoke Cutter lights. First sold by LA Screw, then bought by GT Price, which sold out to Nordic a while back. Also in the '80s was a whole line of different Brinkmann lights. The 5-3-2 is still made and is basically the Code-4 design. Keller also designed the first Legend light for Brinkmann. Around 1970 there was the Tru-Grit, a Kel-Lite knockoff. In the late '80s a gun company called Grendel made a weird 8AA flashlight that didn't last long. In the early '90s Cold Steel made a 7AA light called the Brute. Also didn't last long.

ol.jpg

That's the short version if you can believe it. Mag came along towards the end of the police light arms race. From then on Mag sold most of the primary cell lights, Streamlight sold most of the rechargables. Surefire came out with the first lithium one around 1988. In case you're wondering, all the above pics are from my collection which by now has gotten quite a bit bigger. I'm still hunting for more examples, by the way, since I only have a fraction of what was sold.

All your flashlight are belong to us.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
Abtomat:

Excellent post!! :goodjob:

I recall in the mid 70s when I was in High School participating in what would now be called an explorer post. We met at the police department each week.

At that time, one of the officers showed me a flashlight that shot a chemical deterrent (mace? tear gas?) at the center of the beam (like today's TigerLight). Was this an option on a Kel-Light? They look like the one he had, including the switch.

Thanks!
Mark

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
Well , I would say ABTOMAT covered that topic . Great post .
goodjob.gif

I bought a Cold Steel Brute from the Cutlery Shoppe I think around the end of 1991 . Cant remeber what happend to it .

Kenny

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody remember Tekna-Lites?

I was a Campus Security Guard from September 1978 to May 1981. I bought a Tekna-Lite 4 AA and sometime later had their 8 AA version. These were actually diving lights and a turn of the head turned them on and off. They were considered pretty bright for their time. Since they were non-metal it was sort of a permissible light for me to use and carry at the university. I bought rechargeable AA batteries for it which I charged in an aftermarket external charger. This was NOT a cop light, per se, but it definitely outshined the 2 D cell Eveready light that I owned prior to that.

Yooper

Enlightened
Does the Eveready Captain have a metal reflector and glass lens? With that big reflector it would seem to make a good sleeper hotwire mod light - maybe a potted WA1185 with 9 AA's, or a ROP with 6. I've been thinking of buying one on eBay to try it.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
Abtomat:

Excellent post!! :goodjob:

I recall in the mid 70s when I was in High School participating in what would now be called an explorer post. We met at the police department each week.

At that time, one of the officers showed me a flashlight that shot a chemical deterrent (mace? tear gas?) at the center of the beam (like today's TigerLight). Was this an option on a Kel-Light? They look like the one he had, including the switch.

Thanks!
Mark

I don't know. May have been an option, more likely was an aftermarket device. I've never seen one so I can't say. They did make speedloaders, batons, traffic cones, and reloadable practice ammo, so it wouldn't be unusual.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what fantastic response. Thank you so much guys!

ABTOMAT, you gave me a case of flashlight envy! :laughing:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yooper said:
Does the Eveready Captain have a metal reflector and glass lens? With that big reflector it would seem to make a good sleeper hotwire mod light - maybe a potted WA1185 with 9 AA's, or a ROP with 6. I've been thinking of buying one on eBay to try it.

I bought a set of 5 old chromies, including 2 Ray-O-Vac Sportsmen, an Everready Captain, and 2 others that I don't remember the brand of. None had glass lens nor metal reflectors, though all looked original, given the varied conditions of them. All but 1 worked. For $10 shipped, it was a great deal.

So, I'd suggest asking the buyer about the type of reflector/lens before you buy.

BTW - Ace Hardware still carries a chrome 2D flashlight, Ace brand #30021. It's even got the 2-button off/on/momentary-on switch setup.