SED TV... is Plasma already obsolete??!

KingSmono

Enlightened
Toshiba and Canon have teamed up to create a new type of TV; SED (Surface-conduction Electron-Emitter Display)

Read about it here:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

And here:

http://softwareforhomes.com/SED-Toshiba-Canon-HDTV-display.htm

I'm going to be in the market for a new TV pretty soon, but I think I'll wait until these TV's come out! Even if they're incredibly expensive, all of the awesome HDTV TVs out now will surely be going down in price due to this new technology.

-Allen

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sony 50" A10 is a beautiful HDTV with built in HD tuner. I initially had a Samsung DLP and had a myriad of problems with DLP, not to mention the rainbows(not everyone sees this).

Luckily BestBuy let me exchange it for another TV and I picked the Sony. The cool thing is the digital iris that this TV has.

cslinger

Enlightened
I want to know what the likelyhood of burn in is and what the life span is likely to be. If they nail these two things these really look good.

Do they require a bulb like the other technologies?

Chris

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nope, the pixels are self-emitting. It's sort of a cross between a CRT and a plasma.
Think of a CRT set with individual electron guns for each pixel instead of one big gun at the neck of the tube. Voila, no monstrous deflection yoke needed as the pixels can be individually energized in an X-Y matrix, the same way that plasma pixels are fired.

drizzle

Enlightened
I would guess that burn in would be exactly the same as for a CRT. The technology of an emitter striking phosphor doesn't seem to be any different.

Burn in problem or not, it sounds like it will be awesome! I will no doubt wait and make it my next TV purchase. It will be a long wait though; 2010 before they are in high production. :popcorn:

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
I'll admit, I'm by NO means an expert when it comes to TV technology... but I've heard that plamsa TV's can actually *run out* of plasma in just a few short years... is there any truth to that? I'd be slightly peaved, if my $4-5k TV just stopped working after only a few years!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
by the time i can get a hdtv there will be hdtv 3d with smell vision.but hopefully we can turn the smell vision off

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
by the time i can get a hdtv there will be hdtv 3d with smell vision.but hopefully we can turn the smell vision off

Some company actually tried to build that a few years ago. The set contained a small handful of remotely-triggered aerosol scents, basically "sweet, sour" and a couple others. It didn't work very well, partly because the range of scents was so limited and partly becasue the aerosol nozzles tended to clog. They shelved the project because the results, um... stunk. :ohgeez: :laughing: