WOW! You can fish with a spotlight???

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Part of me wants to call BS on that, but yet, I cannot be sure (or even mostly sure). Amazing, though. I think after 10 seconds of being pelted with those fish, I would have done my best Hicks (or was it Hudson?) impression from Aliens, yelling "Game over, man, game over". :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was pretty funny. Quick way to catch a lot of dinner.

I do know that at night if I shine my Tri-Lux mag mod into the water, all the fish will come up to it and gather around. Pretty cool to see all the fish up close like that.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I dunno ... but isn't it possible to make fish behave like that by mixing something in the water? I mean ... the fish jump even in locations without the light shining at them ... and all this looks really strange ... :thinking:
bernie

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
bsmeter.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's BS at all.

The bright light is spooking the fish, causing them to jump out of the water.

You got lots of fish in a narrow creek, river, canal, or whatever it is, that are jumping out of the water... Naturally some of them are going to end up in the boat. The more fish flying through the air, the more fish that will land in the boat.

Cool video. :)

Peter

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
No BS, it can happen without the light. You can hear them stomping their feet on the bottom of the boat too, to help scare the fish more.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know squid are attracted to bright lights and commercial fish boats use lights to attract them. That is the only type of fishing that I know of that will benefit from using light as a means of attractment.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know fish come to stoplights like that, but i never seen them go crazy like that! plus all them fish had to been in a stocked lake!

metalhed

Enlightened
Actually, there is a fish that is rapidly invading Midwest rivers that I can't remember the name of. They are a transplant from Asia that behaves the same way as these fish.

It's not the lights, it's the sound of the boat and any engine noise. In the states where they are a problem, they will just about knock a guy out of the boat as they jump out of the water.

If I could only remember the name of the darn things...:thinking:

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Haha Alex. Nice try. But change the "flashlight" to "money, perfume, chocolates, clothes, shoes....."

Back to the original topic, I have seen people shining lights into the water at night to catch shrimps/squids. These glow nicely under the light and are, of course, stupid enough to swim to the bait. For shrimps just scoop them out of the water.

For the squid......

Wait for it to bite, and when you start reeling in the line......
Get the hell out of there!
Cause its gonna squirt ink all over like a 4th july firework. :naughty:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If only this worked on girls" -- yeah!

Nice video though, I enjoyed it. Normally I avoid watching these crap videos on the Net, but this one was particularly good.

A very seasoned fisherman once asked me about a lighting solution to catch squid at night, so that trick does work. We discussed a 3D cell based Lux1 star in a waterproof, transparent/translucent box - easy to build, easy to deploy, and he didn't need that much light. I remember showing him my E1e+KL1 as a 'sample' of the kind of output he could reasonably expect from such a device. :)

Luxbright

Enlightened
We had this experience when we went to Pulau Ubin (one of our Islands) one night. When we shone the ROP on the stream we noticed quite a number of small fishes (about 5" to 6") started jumping out of the water.

One explaination could be as its dark and suddenly when you shine something really bright, the fishes would sense (fish sense) that they are being chased by predators and thus run for their live.