Are the Surefire E1e and E1L bodies the same?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about getting one to play with but I see that the E1L body is cheaper. Why is that? Is it true you can stick a KL4 head on that thing with a unprotected 3.7v rechargeable and and run it?

Also wondering if you can put the 25lumen bulb in the regular E series head and run it off the rechargeable as well.

rycen

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Also wondering if you can put the 25lumen bulb in the regular E series head and run it off the rechargeable as well.
Dont know about that but the bodies are the same.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMK, there is no functional difference between the bodies, just that some folks prefer the older square bodies of the E1e as opposed to the newer round body. The newer bodies come with a Z57 clickie while the older ones have the Z52 LOTC. Both will work for making a TW4, though the Z52 is easier to add the McGizmo 2-stage switch.

I've never tried the 25 lumen bulb on a li-ion, I imagine you would be underdriving it and it will darken after some use. :shrug:

You could do a search, there were folks who modded a SL Scorpion bi-pin base to fit in the E-series bezel and use a Strion bulb with a li-ion. That could work as well. :)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bodies are the same functionally. If you are looking at just the body price, remember you will also have to add a SF tailcap about $20-$30.

You can also get the Vital Gear FB1 which includes a clickie tailcap. Excellent quality and great price.

The MN02 25 lumen lamp is a 6V lamp and will not work properly with any single cell. You could try a MN01 15 lumen lamp, but it might flash on a freshly charged cell.

Luminous

Newly Enlightened
A word of advice on the surefire clicky: avoid it, very unreliable.

I bought an E1L and the clicky lasted for about 1 month of occasionnal use. I also have a Vital gear body for it: it is a greatly made body but sometimes the light sitches off with it!

I do not own the older type switch but it can only be more reliable.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The "stock" E1e lamp will instaflash on an R123. I tried it in the name of science for JSB when he got his very first ones. Don's Aleph 1X123 body and several variations of 2-stage tail cap are available from the Shoppe and Lighthound.

Larry

DigMe

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Well, the prices are the same so I think I'll stick with Surefire....

You mean vs. the Vital Gear? The prices may be the same but with the Vital Gear you get the tailcap switch included. That's a separate cost with the Surefire.

brad cook