Fenix L2P vs. Streamlight Scorpion LED

liquidsix

Enlightened
Since I don't have an L2P I don't know how the two stack up. I was wondering how it compares (mainly in output and beam quality) to the Streamlight Scorpion LED.

Ever since I've found out about fenix products I've been considering getting the l2p and selling my Scorpion if they have about the same output (or if the L2P's is better). I like the idea that the L2P takes AA's instead of 123's that are almost impossible to find cheap unless you shop online for them. So if I'm in a camping situation it's easier to find AA's. That and I can't stand the rubber body on the Scorpion, it slips off every time you press the switch, even after I've tried gluing it to the metal part of the body.

I believe the runtimes on the two lights are going to be about the same, and if the L2P's is slightly less, than that's okay because it uses a much more common, less expensive battery.

The light output that's advertised on the two products are 42 Lumens for the Scorpion LED and 46 Lumens for the Fenix L2P. However I've heard that the Fenix numbers are exagerated, and I don't know about Streamlight's.

Does anyone know a flashlight review site that has done reviews (and taken their own readings) on both these flashlights (it has to be the same site for both lights). Or does anyone have these two lights to compare? Can you post a pic or a description of what the difference is in the output in these two lights?

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... that's an odd couple to compare... a skinny AA light and a fatter 2x123 light. The beam of the Streamlight is a bit tight... some may wish for a larger hotspot but that would trade off throw. I sold mine then later bought and sold the similar TL-2 LED 2nd Gen. They both were impressively bright for a Lux I light, but again, the hotspot was more narrow that I prefer.

I've heard different reports on the L2P. My L2P didn't look sensationally brighter than the L1P and I doubt if it will be more than 50% brighter in confirmed testing. That would put the Scorpion as being about the same brightness but with more throw than the L2P.

The L2P would seem to have longer runtime and the ability to use readily available rechargeable cells which may affect your decision. Personally, I'd consider them about equals and go with whichever form factor you feel would be more comfortable for you. Personally, for an EDC light that mostly gets used indoors, I'd stick with the L2P but if you are going to use it outside in potentially cold climates and possibly with gloves, I'd go for the Streamlight.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L2P has slightly brighter output when compared to a L1P. The L1P review at Flashlightreviews.com has a lumen rating for the L1P to be ~25-26. I would estimate the L2P to have ~25-30 lumens.

The Streamlight Scorpion LED at Flashlightreviews.com has a lumen output of ~37.

Can't really compare the two because they are different classes of lights, one running off 2 X CR123's or a Pila 168S and the Fenix running off of AA (alkaline, NiMH, or Lithiums.)

Graph of L2P by CPF member chevrofreak.

In a camping situation I would choose a Fenix L2P to run on Lithium AA's with a few as spares in my backpack. This is if I was asked to choose between the Streamlight Scorpion LED and the Fenix. The Fenix is slimmer, but longer. I dislike the Scorpion for that very reason, the rubber boot/sleeve coming off.

Personally, buy the Fenix L2P and compare it to the Scorpion. Each user looks at lights differently and has different uses for it. I went through 3 Surefire 2X CR123 lights and finally settled on the U2 (sold my E2e and L2.)

Jason

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an L2P, but have the Scorpion LED. The hot spot is quite intense, especially for any indoors or up-close work. Indoors, I use it mostly in bounce mode to light up a room and it provides a lot of light to light up a moderately large room. I mostly use it outside and appreciate the throw it has. If you don't plan to use it outdoors for throw, the L2P would likely be a better choice for you. Plus, it already seems you're leaning toward the AAs anyways. I don't have a problem with having to buy CR123s, at least not yet, and all my other lights use them. I have a few lights coming that use AA and AAA, but none of those are here yet and the only other light I have that uses those is my minimag, which no longer gets used, so CR123s are more common for me.
To add, if I were to do it again, I'd get the TL-2 LED gen2. It cost more, but I like the design better and it's smaller. I haven't had any probs with my Scorpion, and for a much lower price (got it for $40+tax), it provides equal performance to the TL-2 LED ($59+sh) so it was a tough deal to pass up, but seeing how much I've spent in lights now, I probably would've gotten the TL-2 LED.

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened
I'm looking for a comparison in an outdoor setting (like camping). I don't need to be able to spot a bat at the top of a tree, but I'd like something that doesn't make me squint hard to try to see what's 20 or 30 meters in front of me (and has some spill so I know what's around me too).

I considered the TL-2 as well, but personally if I'm going to spend the money on a nice light, I'd like a clickie, and something about the size of a tactical light (so 2 cr123s or 2 AA's) that fits in my pocket (not to say the TL-2 won't). Not a fat ugly yellow 4AA propolymer or the 3 C cell.

I think the Scorpion LED is just the right light for camping, it's a good mix of runtime, size, output, and beats the pants off of a mag 3D cell (which I was happy with using for camping for a long time). However, I'd like to have something that has about the same output and a descent runtime in a more common battery (because I doubt I'm going to find cr123s for under $10 in Algonquin park's stores or in a friend's backpack). That and I want to replace it because the rubber boot covering the body is irritating how it keeps slipping off every time I use it.

So what do you guys think? Is the Fenix L2P what I'm looking for? OR more specifically, is it the closest thing to what I am looking for? Does it come close enough, or does something similar come close enough, to the Scorpion LED that I wouldn't have to settle for the Streamlight 4AA propolymer for a good camping light?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always get the L2P to try out and sell it if you don't like it. I don't have an L2P so I can't say how good the throw is in real world situations. My Scorpion LED has enough side spill for me to navigate around w/o problems and spot things when needed. I'm a newbie, so I don't know all the options available, but from what I've seen (and this is one of the main reasons why Fenix lights are so popular), there aren't many options in high power LED lights that use AA/AAA batteries. The only other option I can think of for you is to mod a 2xAA MiniMag with a good LED module (Terralux and the tons of other options I don't know about and can't remember cuz my brain's farting due to work). Modded MiniMags tend to have great throw and a good light engine will provide good light. Tho, the price will be close to that of an L2P when you're all said and done. Try searching around for some throw figures or evaluations of modded MiniMags. Good luck.