Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon/Fenix L2P Beamshot Request

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if any of you guys that have both of these lights can do some comparative beamshots? I have seen the numbers for output on Quickbeam's site, but would like some real-world info.

Even if you don't have that ability to provide pictures, I would appreciate any feedback from those that have used both.

TIA

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight/Fenix Beamshot Request

Which Streamlight torch are you referring to?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you talking about the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux light? If so, it isn't really comparable at all to the Fenix other than a general price range and the fact that they both run on AA cells. The Streamlight throws 5 times as far as the Fenix. If you are outdoors looking at something 50 yards away, the Fenix will barely light it up... and I mean barely. The Streamlight will light it up well enough to distinguish between a woman and a man for instance.

The Streamlight isn't radically brighter than the Fenix, but in a small room with gloss-painted walls, the Streamlight has concentrated enough of a beam that if you catch a reflection directly, it will kinda hurt your eyes while the Fenix won't do that from a reasonable distance.

The Streamlight runs 4 times as long with flat regulation while the L1P runs for an hour with an alkaline and dims throughout. The L2P does almost as well as the Streamlight though.

Size is another issue. The Fenix L1P will fit in a pocket watch pocket of a pair of jeans while the Streamlight feels big even in a back pocket but if you are actually going to be handling it over a period of time, the Streamlight is more comfortable to hold due to its larger, yet still very managable size.

Wulong

Newly Enlightened

Archangel said:
Which Streamlight torch are you referring to?

I'm an idiot...guess I shouldn't post while burning dinner. I was referring to the ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

Cratz, in regards to the throw, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz2, how many yards (roughly the same as meter?) would you say the SL 4AA Luxeon throws?
I'm trying to decide wether to get this light or a diamond 1w bulb with zetex driver for my maglite. Main interest is throw, but size is always an issue too. The diamond bulb is rated 4000 at quickbeams site, and the SL 3000, how much difference do you think it is in real life?

Thanks.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 feet (7.2 meter) to the orange tree. The fence is 5 feet (9 meters total) further.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Edison.
Really nice beamshots you made. It's always easier to decide when looking at outdoor beamshots than the traditional indoors.
Excellent.

Thanks to Trueblue too, the lights maybe not be comparable, but the SL doesnt seem to be insanely brighter than the L2p(which I allready have), so I'm thinking of getting a bigger light for throw needs. But knowing myself, I'll probably get the SL too...
:)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL has a larger relfector, so it will win in the throw department. It can afford that size reflector with it's larger 4aa form factor..

Trueblue: nice real life beamshot as always! :rock:

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I believe the 3C Streamlight throws further than the 4AA. So if you are looking for a larger light for throw you might try that version. I have the 4AA myself and may be purchasing the 3C as a gift for my dad. I'm curious how they compare to each other. I don't believe I've ever seen beamshot comparisons between the two.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
The SL 4AA is a good bit brighter than the Fenix,
its throw is much better, spill is alittle brighter also.

The 3C does throw even more than the 4AA,
it has less of a corona, its mainly Just a hotspot and spill.

Heres a comparison I did of my 4AA vs 3C
Sreamlight_4AA_and_3C_Luxeons_2.jpg

~John

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4AA is nice and the 3C is supposed to be even better though I've never used one. But if you really want throw and you aren't super limited with price, a Lux III Magmod is the way to go. A 3 Cell build will be cheapest and easiest but you can use 3 C cells in a 2D body. I personally really like the 2C form factor and have two Magmods in 2C bodies regulated with U-bin LEDs and as far as reasonable cost lights, there's nothing that can touch them. I'd say a T-bin or U-bin Lux III run at or close to spec in a Mag reflector will give you two to three times the throw of the Streamlight.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
The 4AA is nice and the 3C is supposed to be even better though I've never used one. But if you really want throw and you aren't super limited with price, a Lux III Magmod is the way to go. A 3 Cell build will be cheapest and easiest but you can use 3 C cells in a 2D body. I personally really like the 2C form factor and have two Magmods in 2C bodies regulated with U-bin LEDs and as far as reasonable cost lights, there's nothing that can touch them. I'd say a T-bin or U-bin Lux III run at or close to spec in a Mag reflector will give you two to three times the throw of the Streamlight.

I'm about to mod my 2D Maglite but haven't decided which way to go.
So youre saying that if I use 3C cells, my light will be brighter (1,5volts?) but will have shorter battery life? Could you estimate how shorter the batterylife would be? And do you think I could put in 3Cs in my regular 2D Mag now without blowing the krypton bulb? And where can I buy T-bin or U-bin Lux III leds for the mod?
Thanks.