Current model A2?

carrot

Flashaholic
I've seen two different pictures of A2s -- one says Digital Ultra | A2 Aviator (and appears to have a four-sided barrel) on two lines, the other just says A2 Aviator. Which one is the new one? Is there any functional difference aside from aesthetics? I see that the four-sided A2 is on the SF site, but I keep hearing about a "newer" rounded one?

IMO, the one that just says "A2 Aviator" with the FCC logo is not as good-looking.

Here's the two I'm talking about:
4-sided: http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/a2_large01.jpg
2-sided: http://home.comcast.net/~rreifsn/Aviator_Rd.jpg

Edit: I found a third one in the SF2002 catalog, but I'm not talking about that one.

Last edited:

thatguybme

Newly Enlightened
My oh my.. What good eyes you have... I would be interested in what others have to say.. The SF website has the Digital phrase in the picture..

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i've got the limited edition A2-WH-BK, and it has the old style body. i hear that the new bodies are also a bit larger in diameter, which might be beneficial to some, as the old ones cut it quite close (in that some batteries were a tight fit) =)

carrot

Flashaholic
Can anybody take a picture of the two models side by side?

Also, for those who've held both, which is more comfortable to hold? Is the old 4-flat-panel less comfortable?

moraino

Enlightened
Would the old model have problem using R123A? Has anyone tried it with tight fit?

I saw a A2 for sale with good price but I am not sure if it works with R123A.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the square body myself, but the newer round body has a cleaner look and smoother threads. I think the diameter of the battery tube is the same on both. AW's MP brand R123s work as well as Powerizer. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
leukos said:
I prefer the square body myself, but the newer round body has a cleaner look and smoother threads. I think the diameter of the battery tube is the same on both. AW's MP brand R123s work as well as Powerizer. :)
Smoother threads? Does this mean the square body has a problem with rough threads, or is this just comparative?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think there's any difference between the threads of the various A2 styles. I think it is likely to be a difference from article to article...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just comparative. I own two square body A2's and two round. The round are much smoother to operate. All have been used about the same amount. I don't know if this is the experience of other A2 owners though.