jtice

Flashaholic
Thank you so very much for that little piece of knowledge,
had we not known, you could have been eaten alive !!!! :rolleyes:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Raggie is refering to:

Mayor Nagin Says:

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans _ the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yep thats what im refering to.that was the most dumb thing i have ever heard a person in his positon say when i ifrist heard it i thought i didnt understand then i just sat there and stared at tv in shock

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nagin is just a tone deaf racist pandering to the pre-K demographics of the city I've lived in for 25+ years. Even if there is some way to consider this a chocolate city, Nagin still got it all wrong. Everyone knows that it's chocolate with nuts! That's where the eccentrics like myself fit in. :D

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
I find Nagin's remarks to be extremely racist. Very concerning that the man is in public office.

Exactly. Imagine how different the press response would have been if Nagin was a white major and was saying how God wanted New Orleans to be white and that he was going to do whatever he could to make sure that it was. He would be lucky to make it out of the state alive.

MLK must be spinning in his grave to hear such remarks made in his honor.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid said:
David Duke for mayor:party:
The mind reels at the response that would have followed any similar comments by Duke.

Nagin is toast. Stick a fork in him -- he's done. If he had any aspirations in politics beyond the 'chocolate city', he hosed them yesterday.

The creepy truth is that if the Nagin Machine has any political skill at all they should have no trouble winning the next election because they have an unprecredented 200,000 absentee votes to diddle with. That really stinks. Depending on who you believe there are between 70,000 and 130,000 real residents here now. Go Ray!

I hate to sound insensitive to those who are still displaced by Katrina, but they need to wake up and move on. Despite the denial, Katrina was truly an event of biblical proportions. It's sad that many people can't come back, but hey, that's why they call it a disaster! It's been over four months now since the K-event and guess what? Those folks who haven't come back not only don't live here anymore, but they have a full set of rights in whatever place that they do live, and that includes voting for their local representitives. Jeeze, turn the page.

I would ask that those interested enough in this subject pay attention to what happens with all the absentee ballots in the next election (whenever it is that these usurpers and tyrants allow us to vote again). They have postponed the election and most here are somewhat less than satisfied with the current regime's performance post-K and are not particularly thrilled that they will be into the next hurricane season before they are allowed to vote these rascals out of office.

It's going to be messy and creepy and if it weren't for the climate and the food I'd probably bug out of here. :D That and the fact that most of 'the chocolate city's' problems also exist in most other cities to a lessor extent.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
revolvergeek said:
Exactly. Imagine how different the press response would have been if Nagin was a white major and was saying how God wanted New Orleans to be white and that he was going to do whatever he could to make sure that it was. He would be lucky to make it out of the state alive.

See, i just dont understand. I dont understand why it is like that... It is very true, but why????

-David

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
nagin-web.jpg

http://imnotchocolate.com/

magic79

Enlightened
revolvergeek said:

You missed the rest of Nagin's quote! He invokes MLK in an imaginary conversation!!

"Mr Nagin told the crowd of his imaginary conversation with Mr King, who led the black civil rights movement in the US until he was cut down by an assassin's bullet in 1968.

'I said, 'What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, 'I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side'. He said, 'The thing we need to focus on as a community - black folks I'm talking about - is ourselves'."

What else is interesting is that I saw this quote last night on a U.S. website (CNN??). Today I couldn't find it in ANY story, except the above which is out of SINGAPORE! So I guess he made such an absolute fool of himself that the press is omitting the above.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay-sus, what an opportunist. That domain name was registered and set up on the very same day that Nagin made his infamous remark.
:rolleyes:
Actually, yesterday was not Nagin's first use of the term "chocolate city". That site has been up for a while. Nagin used the same phrase at least once before in a speech a couple weeks ago. He only got national coverage for it's use yesterday because of all of the press hanging around because it was MLK Day.

Fun stuff here:

http://www.thedeadpelican.com/

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Sub_Umbra said:
Actually, yesterday was not Nagin's first use of the term "chocolate city". That site has been up for a while. Nagin used the same phrase at least once before in a speech a couple weeks ago. He only got national coverage for it's use yesterday because of all of the press hanging around because it was MLK Day.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Sub.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said he had not meant that it should be an all-black metropolis, asking: "How do you make chocolate?

"You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about," he told CNN.

trying to cover his butt now!
"White Milk" i find that term racist!

Latest posts