One of you younguns should go on Beauty and the Geek

DigMe

Enlightened
That's right. The flashaholic community needs a representative from the flashlight geeks. Preferably one of you guys with 100 or so lights. They've got a rubix cube geek, a dungeons and dragons geek, etc... The only thing is I don't know if the producers would actually buy it since the idea of flashaholism is inconceivable to the general public. They'd probably think you were puttin' em on until you pulled out your collection.

brad cook

carrot

Flashaholic
What's "Beauty and the Geek"?

I can:
- Solve a Rubik's cube in under 3 minutes (ok, so I'm not the fastest)
- Run and maintain a real Linux system (not one of those sissy distros like Mandrake or Red Hat)
- Run and maintain a Windows network
- Talk your head off about flashlights
- Program and design competently
- Do linear algebra
- play MUDs, Nethack, and other text-based DnD derivatives
- beat most people at Halo/Halo 2

And I graduate high school with an AA in liberal arts.

Do I qualify? ;)

Edit: oh... wait, that makes me a generic geek, doesn't it?

Last edited:

DigMe

Enlightened
carrot said:
What's "Beauty and the Geek"?

I can:
- Solve a Rubik's cube in under 3 minutes (ok, so I'm not the fastest)
- Run and maintain a real Linux system (not one of those sissy distros like Mandrake or Red Hat)
- Run and maintain a Windows network
- Talk your head off about flashlights
- Program and design competently
- Do linear algebra
- play MUDs, Nethack, and other text-based DnD derivatives
- beat most people at Halo/Halo 2

And I graduate high school with an AA in liberal arts.

Do I qualify? ;)

Edit: oh... wait, that makes me a generic geek, doesn't it?

I'd say if you're under 25 or so you'd definitely qualify.

It's a show where they pair up each of so many geeks with a hot chick and the geeks learn to be social and it seems like some of the hot chicks actually learn that there's more to a person than being cool and whatnot. Anyway, it's somewhat entertaining really. It kinda sounds like a dating show but it's not.

brad cook

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
me, me, me!!

I am over 30 but I still look like a 25yrs old geek. I do have zits on my face. I don't have 100 flashlights but I have other toys. :wave:
I wonder how does the show producer find the candidates for the show. I am from canada. I hope to be chosen too. :wave: :wave:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Having the hobby and looking the part aren't enough IMO.

You need to be severely stunted personality wise to qualify. Maybe some of the geeks are hamming it up at the producer's behest, but most of them seem to be at least borderline Asperger's syndrome cases.

(i.e. Low grade "functional" autism where you still possess the savant skills.)

IMO, most of us here would "clean up" pretty good, we just don't bother to. :D

Besides, even if I weren't married, I wouldn't even consider a long look at any of what they're trying to pass as the "beauties" without at least two beers in me. And not lite beer either. And on an empty stomach at that. Most of them seem to have that over-tanned, bad makeup, tube-top, bar-fly/hooker look about them. I've only caught a few minutes of the show while flipping channels, so perhaps there's a truly pretty one in the mix, but I haven't seen her.

Instead, they should try to recruit hot girls with Masters Doctorates in various fields who can master anything the geeks are into as examples of how to be both smart and socialy acceptable, and just try and make their assigned geek over...

Last edited: